Getaway Opinion....it's good

roger001

I wasn't going to add any more cruise reports. But..what the heck. Was on the Getaway last week. Second time Getaway, 16th NCL cruise. Arrived POM 10:30. Check in was no lines, no delay, quick (security did for the first time though open my 12 packs of Pepsi and checked that it was Pepsi). Group boarding #3, boarded about 11:30. Up to the Flamingo grill, deck 16 for the Cuban food. And...had the UBP for the first time. Like damn stealing. Wow, what a deal. And if not in a port charging tax, don't even sign a ticket. Wow!

NCL crew, all that we interacted with, wow...super typical friendly NCL crew. Loved them all. Had the deck 8 mini suite with the big balcony. Wow. Big balcony. However, plan to be friendly with those above you. The shower, wow, I'll put some pics up later of it. Food. Best ever. Don't know if the new CEO is causing this or not. But, I've always been very happy with NCL ship food. There will always be something you will like...and of course some things that you don't. However this time we both though it was better than ever. Ate Le Bistro and Moderno. Le Bistro was outstanding. Flavor and food temp perfect. Moderno, salad bar, I could just eat off it...which my wife did. I did get some meat though. All excellent. Buffet, great. Now, I'm pretty easy to please. I actually think a dollar double cheese burger for McDs is good. But the buffet had an excellent selection and really tasty. I had prime rib off the buffet twice and it was actually real prime rib...good stuff..not just roast beef. Ate at Sheehans once. Weird chicken and waffles...but good.

Hung out at the Mojito bar (Sugarcanes) for most drinking. The regular bartender was fantastic..fast and super friendly. That UBP was great. Saw Burn the Floor (again). Don't know where they get that energy. They are soooo good. I know I'm leaving out a bunch of thoughts.

The Getaway...she is beautiful, so well designed, decor so comfortable and delightful but without being overboard. But....we still...for how the two of us enjoy a cruise...will still always prefer the smaller ships..the Pearl, Jewel, and Sun. However, for the price I got for this mini and the UBP and some OBC from our TA....wow...what a great cruise.

Oh yea...almost forgot. GSC...we actually got to tender there. Now wind or weather. It has been developed so nicely now. Last time we were there was about two years ago. I will say...my opinion...if they don't do anything more to the place, it is super acceptable now. So much improvement. And for the Getaway 4000 guests, still plenty of room for everyone. Lots of beach, chairs, and the big buffet additionally had to other grill stations out on the island cooking. It was just very nice.

Walked up to the Jerk Shack at Ocho Rios for...well...jerk chicken and pork. Love that stuff. Cozumel...walked all the way down to Panchos Backyard. Don't have more than one margarita if you plan to walk back. Panchos is a lovely courtyard setting, super nice staff, excellent food and drink. It is a bit upscale and pricey. But we like it. Except way toooo full leaving.

I'm a pretty happy guy (retired after 38 years of a very intense job). I don't go anywhere looking to find what's wrong. Could, I guess, find at least something to criticize, well...maybe...but can't think of something right now though. And debarking, smooth, pretty quick (we were yellow tags). No problem....Mon!!!! That's it...I guess.

Edited by roger001

Great review of a great ship. I like the Getaway enough to be booked again in early February. It has been a long time since I've made it to GSC, so your comments are reassuring as are your word on the quality of the food, and the friendliness crew. You've made me anxious to get through the holidays and relax at sea. Thanks for your positive comments.;)

Here's a few pics of the cabin, balcony, and shower. Notice below the overhead shower nozzle the three pairs of additional jets. All can be varied by the main control. Also, the Sugarcane bar and the excellent bartender.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/media/Getaway%20Shower%20Mini%20Etc/DSCN7669_zpsls95a3yj.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

Thanks for your review.

I have not cruised on a megaship (just yet... going on Getaway in Feb).

Is it really that easy to tell if you're on a ship with 4000 pax instead of 2000-2500 pax?

I don't really think so. There are certain times and locations that get busy/crowded, like the bars before dinner hour. But otherwise, there are plenty of places during the day and evening that are not at all crowded. There were lots of open spaces on the pool deck or deck 16, away from the pool, with chairs and loungers. The Waterfront was very relaxed most of the time. Other spaces throughout decks 6,7,8 had places to relax without others. So, no, I think the amount of guests are pretty much proportional to the size of the ship...which is big.

Oh...I forgot to add, the iConcierge app on my iPhone worked great. I booked a restaurant with it and quickly checked my account frequently, which was updated quickly each day. In fact, I found that a $200 OBC from my TA had not been posted to my account. I sent her a text. She contacted NCL and they posted it within a day correctly.

Edited by roger001

I was looking through your photos and I noticed you had some kind of drink flight (mojitos perhaps?). I was wondering if you recall if it was included in your ubp or if you paid full price for it? I've seen mixed reports on this and was wondering if you happen to remember. Thanks for the great review!

I was looking through your photos and I noticed you had some kind of drink flight (mojitos perhaps?). I was wondering if you recall if it was included in your ubp or if you paid full price for it? I've seen mixed reports on this and was wondering if you happen to remember. Thanks for the great review!

Actually, that mojito sample belonged to a guest sitting next to me. No, it is not included in the package...although you can sit there and order a full size one of each, one after another, until you fall off the bar stool. The bartender had made this sample one look so attractive, that I just took a picture of it. I personally recommend the coconut/pineapple mojito, the raspberry, the one called a Getaway, and the cucumber/jalapeno mojitos. Oh...what the heck...with the package, have the others also!

Great review of a great ship. I like the Getaway enough to be booked again in early February. It has been a long time since I've made it to GSC, so your comments are reassuring as are your word on the quality of the food, and the friendliness crew. You've made me anxious to get through the holidays and relax at sea. Thanks for your positive comments.;)

Off topic here Chief. But I owe the USAF my world! Although only a 4 year enlistment...many years ago...the wonderful USAF got me squared away, responsible, a profession that I took into civilian life...and even my wonderful and lovely wife of now 48 years. She was a civilian working on base. Oh...and I was the first ever at my last base to make SSgt under four. Love you USAF! For the rest of you, sorry for drifting.

... Cozumel...walked all the way down to Panchos Backyard. Don't have more than one margarita if you plan to walk back. Panchos is a lovely courtyard setting, super nice staff, excellent food and drink. ...

roger001 - I would like to do something similar in Cozumel. How long a walk was it to Panchos Backyard and what were the walking conditions like?

Thanks! :)

roger001 - I would like to do something similar in Cozumel. How long a walk was it to Panchos Backyard and what were the walking conditions like?

Thanks! :)

From the ship, as you face shore and town, Panchos is to the left. Looking to the left you will see the ferry pier. The walk down to Panchos is just right along the oceanfront blvd (plenty of shops and such to browse as you walk) and about the same distance past the pier as the pier is from where you join the blvd after exiting the ship dock. Panchos is in a building that also houses slightly upscale shopping. The walk along the sidewalk is just fine, other than many merchants wanting you to come into their shops. If you do go down there, be sure to get seating in the courtyard area. See the trip adviser link for more. As you walk down there, you'll pass the Punta Langosta plaza which has been recently remodeled and also has shops around it.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150809-d1032770-Reviews-Pancho_s_Backyard-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Would you mind disclosing your room number? How did you like the deck 8 location?

Cabin number 8124, deck 8 forward. The location of these minis with the big balcony is well forward. No problem with that except the buffet is at the back of the ship. A bit of a walk. An advantage of deck 8 is the Waterfront and many of the shops, O'Sheehans, and bars are mid ship deck 8. So, close to all that. And the big balconies do extend out beyond the balconies above them. So you can look up and see your neighbors, and they can look down on you. No problem at all for us though. Other than the long trek for breakfast, thought 8124 was great.

Edited by roger001

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a few pics of the cabin, balcony, and shower. Notice below the overhead shower nozzle the three pairs of additional jets. All can be varied by the main control. Also, the Sugarcane bar and the excellent bartender.

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/media/Getaway%20Shower%20Mini%20Etc/DSCN7669_zpsls95a3yj.jpg.html?sort=2&o=0

Thanks for the pics! I am booked in a MA cabin, It was a mini suite guarantee and I just got my room assignment: cabin 13794. My question is about the balcony, is the one in the picture a large balcony or is that what mini suites come with?

This will be our 2nd time on Getaway, the last was a last minute bargain aft balcony.

Thanks again for your review.:)

• 2 months later...