NOROVIRUS on Infinity

beach girl66

Just finished 15 days cruise San Diego to Fort Lauderdale Nov 20th to Dec 5th. We were alerted by text message on the 20th by Celebrity of GI bug on board and late boarding d/t extra sanitizing of the ship.

During our cruise people were getting sick, as well, salt & pepper shakers were removed, and we were not allowed to self serve in the buffet. As the cruise con't they removed items from the cabins. All decorative pillows,magazines,and glasses were replaced by paper cups they even removed our bathrobes from our Aqua class cabin. They did attempt to control the virus, they were constantly cleaning,although people were defeating the purpose by reaching under the food guards and touching the food handles and food.

Just finished 15 days cruise San Diego to Fort Lauderdale Nov 20th to Dec 5th. We were alerted by text message on the 20th by Celebrity of GI bug on board and late boarding d/t extra sanitizing of the ship.

During our cruise people were getting sick, as well, salt & pepper shakers were removed, and we were not allowed to self serve in the buffet. As the cruise con't they removed items from the cabins. All decorative pillows,magazines,and glasses were replaced by paper cups they even removed our bathrobes from our Aqua class cabin. They did attempt to control the virus, they were constantly cleaning,although people were defeating the purpose by reaching under the food guards and touching the food handles and food.

The Same thing happened on the Infinity's 15-day April 2014 San Diego to Miami cruise. When we arrived in Cabo, menus were on the tables and all was normal. The next day, when we arrived back from Puerto Vallarta tours, the ship had gone into a full Code Red stance for Noro. We stayed in that status for the rest of the cruise. The Infinity will soon head out on the South American and Antarctic cruises. Based on past posts to Cruise Critic, the Infinity may turn into a giant petri dish on those cruises as passengers disregard dining guidelines to sample local cuisine.

We were on this INfinity cruise-none of us got sick. I just checked the CDC website-they have to report over 3%. It is not on there as of this morning. 3% would be about 60 people, so the number of reported cases must have been under that. Never saw or talked to any sick people. I think X was really scared-numbers must have been close to have them do what they did. My rule of thumb is to eat nothing on shore-except shore excursions sites, and then only after a close inspection. They told me that someone from the company inspects each shore excursion site, and then someone from the ship. For whatever that is worth. I never have starved on a cruise!

It is ridiculious that people get so worked up because there are cases of Noro on cruise ships. There are 19-21 MILLION cases of Noro in the US every year. The CDC documents this pretty well.

The number of Noro cases on cruise ships is close to a 'rounding error' compared to the total cases every year.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on the following Dec 5th cruise. We had a delay getting to our rooms so they could do a deep clean. For the first day they served from the buffet, no salt/pepper etc. But then it was back to normal.

I did hear conversations where some passengers were quarantined