Alaska Excursions

BR47

Our cruise leaves Seattle on July 9, 2016. When is the best time to book excursions and what excursions are recommended on 7 day cruise day cruise?

Thank you for your suggestions and recommendations.

As we don't know what ports you are stopping at, pretty hard to give recommendations. Plus we don't know your budget, interests, imitations, etc. However, every Alaska port is covered extensively here on this board, so just a little reading down the board would be very beneficial.

As commonly discussed here, limited capacity excursions will sell out early- things like helicopter tours and others.

I believe that you should do what interests you - not what others say you should do. So here is a website that give information about most of the AK ports http://www.cruiseportinsider.com

It lists DIY ideas, Cruise Ship Excursions (and which lines run them).

The main ports in AK are Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan.

Juneau is the capital of AK - there is Mendenhall Glacier, Whale Watching, A gold mine just to name a few.

Skagway is mostly about the gold rush of 98 - there is lots of things to do. The White Pass RR, the Chilkoot Trail, Trips to the Yukon, hiking trails and much more.

Ketchikan is the southernmost port and is the gateway to the Misty Fjords (sea plane rides), Snorkeling, Charter Fishing, the Crab Boat tour, Creek Street, Rainforest adventures, Native Villages and Totem Poles.

In AK you can easily use independent vendors - everybody speaks English and they will insure that you get back to your ship on time. These tours are sometimes cheaper (sometimes not) but they are always smaller groups in smaller buses/boats so you get a much better experience.

If you plan to take a flightseeing tour (sea plane or helicopter) there is a very good chance that weather will not be in your favor and the tour would be cancelled - each of these towns has its own microclimate that can change in a moment's notice. It is wise to have a plan B for backup.

AK is also a good place to rent a car most towns are drivable with only a few miles of roads - in Skagway you can even drive to the Yukon. Look for guide books on line.

Most of the tour companies are closed this time of year and are not answering phones - however most have websites and do monitor e-mail from wherever they might be :D. July is peak season so I would start making reservations as soon as you figure out what you want to do. On my last cruise (late June 12) I started making my reservations around this time of year. Partly so I could have everything paid for before the cruise and mostly to insure I got to do what I wanted.

Good Luck on your planning - enjoy your cruise

I believe that you should do what interests you - not what others say you should do. So here is a website that give information about most of the AK ports http://www.cruiseportinsider.com

It lists DIY ideas, Cruise Ship Excursions (and which lines run them).

The main ports in AK are Juneau, Skagway, and Ketchikan.

Juneau is the capital of AK - there is Mendenhall Glacier, Whale Watching, A gold mine just to name a few.

Skagway is mostly about the gold rush of 98 - there is lots of things to do. The White Pass RR, the Chilkoot Trail, Trips to the Yukon, hiking trails and much more.

Ketchikan is the southernmost port and is the gateway to the Misty Fjords (sea plane rides), Snorkeling, Charter Fishing, the Crab Boat tour, Creek Street, Rainforest adventures, Native Villages and Totem Poles.

In AK you can easily use independent vendors - everybody speaks English and they will insure that you get back to your ship on time. These tours are sometimes cheaper (sometimes not) but they are always smaller groups in smaller buses/boats so you get a much better experience.

If you plan to take a flightseeing tour (sea plane or helicopter) there is a very good chance that weather will not be in your favor and the tour would be cancelled - each of these towns has its own microclimate that can change in a moment's notice. It is wise to have a plan B for backup.

AK is also a good place to rent a car most towns are drivable with only a few miles of roads - in Skagway you can even drive to the Yukon. Look for guide books on line.

Most of the tour companies are closed this time of year and are not answering phones - however most have websites and do monitor e-mail from wherever they might be :D. July is peak season so I would start making reservations as soon as you figure out what you want to do. On my last cruise (late June 12) I started making my reservations around this time of year. Partly so I could have everything paid for before the cruise and mostly to insure I got to do what I wanted.

Good Luck on your planning - enjoy your cruise

I wasn't the original poster but just wanted to say how valuable and appreciated your post was! Thanks.

Our cruise leaves Seattle on July 9, 2016. When is the best time to book excursions and what excursions are recommended on 7 day cruise day cruise?

Thank you for your suggestions and recommendations.

The best time to book excursions is now. Make sure you can cancel without penalty and get them booked so they don't fill up.

There are hundreds of excellent Alaska excursions to choose from. YOU need to take a look at a ship shore excursion list- then eliminate the bulk of them, which you have little interest for.

When you get down to a much more manageable list, a lot of tours can be booked independent- if you don't want a ship excursion. (or at least know some differences).

I suggest you book your tours- WHEN your ideas are fixed for ALL your ports and you have selected ALL your tours. Some people jump into bookings- when they don't know all the details- or looked further- finding it isn't what they thought or now want. Problem- there may be cancellation fees? Do a GOOD job for yourself with your homework and tour selection. KEEP reworking your ideas, don't accept the first draft, especially the first timers. :) The more you read, the better options pop up that you now want to change to. :)

I also caution, NOT to focus on just the "popular" tours, thinking, you, some how "have" to do those tours because "everybody" says it's a must do. Well- that "list" can't be done in 10 trips, since there are so many choices. :)

Total newbie question out of curiosity: are there any tours with unlimited capacity (or, I suppose, limited interest) that never sell out?

There are several options that have more availability. And especially if more flexible (open to several times).

Of course self walking tours have tons of "availability" ;) :) Very good descriptions in Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska books, try the library.

IF you have early port times and get yourself off the ship with an early start, you have more options- contrary to rolling off halfway through your port time.

Planes, boats, buses, car rentals pretty frequently, have some vendors sold out prior to arrival.

Are you looking for particular tours?

Of course self walking tours have tons of "availability" ;) :)

:D Excellent point, of course. And thanks for the book recommendations - I have them both and they're invaluable resources, just like the good folks here.

I have booked our excursions already (first time to Alaska and first-time cruise for my husband, mom, stepfather and me!) but had struggled with it because we each have a significant on-board credit to use. We have Explore 4 so drinks are covered, and we aren't big shoppers or gamblers, so I had wanted to use the OBC for excursions but was too worried about missing out on what we might want. Some were clearly going to have limited capacity, such as the ones involving helicopters, but I just wondered if some were pretty much "come one, come all."

I might end up canceling one or two if they don't look booked up three days before sailing (the last time at which we can cancel w/o penalty) and taking a chance of rebooking when we board. Wouldn't do that with our "must-do" list but maybe with others where we had a hard time making a choice anyway.

Edited by krista4

Total newbie question out of curiosity: are there any tours with unlimited capacity (or, I suppose, limited interest) that never sell out?
bus and land tours don't sell as fast as the planes and boat tours. If I can't decided, I just take a walk down to the tour desk and ask which one is a near sell out to get an idea of what's popular.

If your fav tour is sold out.... consider one of the private tours they try to sell you when the ship docks.

In Juneau, I say never buy the Mt. Roberts tram in advance. Look up to see if the sky is clear before going up. if it's foggy.... wait 15 minutes and look up again.

In Skagway... the Red Onion will offer you a great lip service excursion.