Arriving at Intercontinental Downtown MIA early. What to do?

Warm-Water Diver

We're arriving at the Intercontinental Downtown MIA around 11am for precruise 1 night stay. We've done the Bayside thing already and were wondering if there's anything else in the area that we could possibly do without renting a car etc?

Is there an outlet mall near there?

You can take a tour on one of the hop on hop off buses (BigBus Miami and CitySightseeing). The buses can be boarded in front of Bayside.

You can take a taxi to South Beach and spend the day there. Go to the beach, have lunch, sight see, rent bicycles, segway tour, etc.

Dolphin outlet mall is too far for a taxi (west of Miami airport).

Do you know approx. how much taxi will cost for 3 to South Beach?

The taxi is the same whether one or more of you. Figure about $25.00. We normally stay at a different hotel but we walk to the Intercontinental and then take a taxi over to South Beach. We have them drop us off at the beginning of Ocean Drive. The exact price could be plus or minus a few dollars depending on time of day. It's fun to walk around there and a fun place to have lunch or dinner and to people watch.

Keith

The taxi is the same whether one or more of you. Figure about $25.00. We normally stay at a different hotel but we walk to the Intercontinental and then take a taxi over to South Beach. We have them drop us off at the beginning of Ocean Drive. The exact price could be plus or minus a few dollars depending on time of day. It's fun to walk around there and a fun place to have lunch or dinner and to people watch.

Keith

Cool. I'm wondering if I should look into UBER for cheaper price?

Just want to say that I stayed at the IC in September and contrary to what I had been reading, we were able to check in at 11:00!! Our room was ready!! Made it so much easier than checking our luggage there (which they do for their guests)!!

Depending when you are cruising, the Hop On Hop Off is a great way to get around....but it was super hot in September up top and no AC for the lower level!! If it's too hot, I'd taxi it to SB...at least you can pop into stores or the water to cool off!!

Just want to say that I stayed at the IC in September and contrary to what I had been reading, we were able to check in at 11:00!! Our room was ready!! Made it so much easier than checking our luggage there (which they do for their guests)!!

Depending when you are cruising, the Hop On Hop Off is a great way to get around....but it was super hot in September up top and no AC for the lower level!! If it's too hot, I'd taxi it to SB...at least you can pop into stores or the water to cool off!!

Just wondering what you mean by contrary what you were reading.

If it was about check in most of us will say about the IC as we say about any hotel is that when you arrive see if you can check in but since check in time is not until the afternoon if a room is not ready then they will hold your luggage for you.

Yes, like any hotel sometimes you arrive early and your room is ready but often it is not.

Keith

Just wondering what you mean by contrary what you were reading.

If it was about check in most of us will say about the IC as we say about any hotel is that when you arrive see if you can check in but since check in time is not until the afternoon if a room is not ready then they will hold your luggage for you.

Yes, like any hotel sometimes you arrive early and your room is ready but often it is not.

Keith

I read a lot about the IC not letting people check in until 4 pm....that's all! I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at 11:00 and was able to check in. I will look for those reviews and place a link (if I can figure out how)!

Renee, that is what I thought you had meant.

Yes, my advice to everyone is always to check at the desk to see if the room is ready. If it is I always find that hotels will check you in but it's just not something we ever count on.

Keith

Hi Keith-

This was the first time in all my sailings from Miami...that I was able to check in to any hotel so early! My nephew was actually the "Customer of the Day" and was upgraded to a huge suite!! It was fabulous! I loved the hotel....but right now the prices are more than $300 for a city view double!! I scored the Viceroy on Cyber Monday for about $166 ...and that includes taxes!!

BTW...what do you think about the Viceroy....and where would you recommend going in the area without a car?

Renee, so glad it worked out for you. Wow, great news for your nephew. Great price for Viceroy. It's a terrific Hotel and the location is relatively close to the Intercontinental. It's less than a 10 minute walk from the Intercontinental.

In terms of restaurants, if you like to walk you can walk over to Mary Brickell Village. It's a 20 minute walk and there are so many nice restaurants to choose from as well as small stores to visit. We really enjoy the area. A restaurant which we enjoy is called Pericone's which is an Italian Restaurant at Mary Brickell Village but there are so many others to choose from.

If you are staying for a couple of days, we also like to take a taxi over to South Beach to walk around there.

Yes, you did wonderful getting the Viceroy. Wonderful hotel.

Keith