Tips on tipping

MintChocolate

Your steward is there to service you. If you fail to tell him your needs then no need to pay him anything above his already set base pay (auto-tip). If however you have personal needs to be addressed within the scope of his duties then expect to pay for these services. I pre-pay, tip, bribe, share my wealth, distribute my funds, whatever you wish to call it, the moment I request my personalized service. How well he executes my requests will determine any post pay he recieves.

So do you expect him to put your "needs" ahead of the ones in other cabins? If there's something wrong with our cabin -- a faucet isn't working or similar -- that we notice when we first get to our cabin, that's one thing. But if you are giving him or her demands that need to be immediately met (as opposed to catching him at some point and asking for ice or an extra pillow) at least what you expect to be immediately met, please remember that the cabin steward could still be working on getting cabins ready (or dealing with getting maintenance to fix the little problems).

So do you expect him to put your "needs" ahead of the ones in other cabins? If there's something wrong with our cabin -- a faucet isn't working or similar -- that we notice when we first get to our cabin' date=' that's one thing. But if you are giving him or her demands that need to be immediately met (as opposed to catching him at some point and asking for ice or an extra pillow) at least what you expect to be immediately met, please remember that the cabin steward could still be working on getting cabins ready (or dealing with getting maintenance to fix the little problems).[/quote']

I don't expect him or her to not service others or to stop serving other. My special requests don't require immediate action. Egg crate, ice, and an extra days newsletter is hardly steep demands. Your cabin will be serviced in a timely fashion.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
I don't expect him or her to not service others or to stop serving other. My special requests don't require immediate action. Egg crate, ice, and an extra days newsletter is hardly steep demands. Your cabin will be serviced in a timely fashion.

your reply to cruzin chik was classy and well said. better than mine would have been !

Sorry to be a total newb about this but I am really curious about tipping too. I'm looking to sail on Royal Caribbean, and at the end when you book it asks if you want to include pre-paid gratuities for $52 per person. In the more info box about it though it says that it is $12.95 per guest. So is it an additional charge they automatically add? I understand tipping, trust me, from my employment history I know it is important, but it sounds like they're going to automatically charge me, whether I opt in for it at booking or not.

Sorry to be a total newb about this but I am really curious about tipping too. I'm looking to sail on Royal Caribbean, and at the end when you book it asks if you want to include pre-paid gratuities for $52 per person. In the more info box about it though it says that it is $12.95 per guest. So is it an additional charge they automatically add? I understand tipping, trust me, from my employment history I know it is important, but it sounds like they're going to automatically charge me, whether I opt in for it at booking or not.

they'll get it one of two ways, either you pay it up front like you mentioned, or they'll charge you daily once on board. most opt to do it up front and save any on board credit for on board extras. many travel agents include pre paid gratuities as part of their incentive packages so keep that in mind if you transfer the booking to a TA.

they'll get it one of two ways, either you pay it up front like you mentioned, or they'll charge you daily once on board. most opt to do it up front and save any on board credit for on board extras. many travel agents include pre paid gratuities as part of their incentive packages so keep that in mind if you transfer the booking to a TA.

Yep ^^^^^

So there's no way to just pay as I wish for tipping then? It either is part of the original booking fee or part of a fee at the end? I appreciate the tip about the TA included ones, it might be price competitive to do it that way.

You'd be creating more work for them. Any time you remove the daily fee they have to explain to their boss why they sucked at their job so much that you took it awY. Furthermore when you do that and give them cash they have to turn it in to the big pool that gets redistributed to all the staff they do NOT get to keep it. N

But they DO get to keep all of what you give them over and above the daily fee. So if you really want to reward someone keep the daily charge in place and give out more as you see fit.

So there's no way to just pay as I wish for tipping then? It either is part of the original booking fee or part of a fee at the end? I appreciate the tip about the TA included ones, it might be price competitive to do it that way.

Yes, you can pay as you wish for tipping. You can simply request that the daily charge be removed from your account and then tip as you wish.

You may want to review this page from RC on tipping: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/subject.do?snav=2&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqSubjectId=415&pnav=5

You'd be creating more work for them. Any time you remove the daily fee they have to explain to their boss why they sucked at their job so much that you took it awY. Furthermore when you do that and give them cash they have to turn it in to the big pool that gets redistributed to all the staff they do NOT get to keep it. N

But they DO get to keep all of what you give them over and above the daily fee. So if you really want to reward someone keep the daily charge in place and give out more as you see fit.

Yes, you can pay as you wish for tipping. You can simply request that the daily charge be removed from your account and then tip as you wish.

You may want to review this page from RC on tipping: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/subject.do?snav=2&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqSubjectId=415&pnav=5

I would go by what spookwife says. The system that has been set up really is much easier and will reward the crew members.

Of course you can remove it BUT if you are tipping to reward a person why make it harder on them. I want to give you a present. Instead of giving you the present but simply clicking a button, I call up your mom, make her drive over to my house, have her return it and then repurchase the gift and give it to you. Or I could just have the present shipped directly to you and be done with it. A win/win for both of you and you know the person you are rewarding doesn't have to jump through hoops. I don't understand why anyone would recommend someone remove the tips and "do it my way" when it has been discussed repeatedly that the system works better the cruise line way.

Sure you feel more warm and fuzzy tipping as you go, but you defeat your own purpose of "rewarding" the individual. Instead you just make it more difficult because now that person must log it in, wait to make sure you didn't remove the tip, then pool it anyway. They also might have to explain why the tip was removed. Did they give you bad service? All you accomplish is making that person go through an extra step to get less money than they would have received if you had just followed the system. They also might have to explain why they aren't doing their job properly and maybe miss out opportunities to be promoted. All because you didn't want to leave the tip on and be the big man and tip in person.

The people that recommend paying as you go usually do not tip as much as if they had left the auto tips on. Either that or they are so lost in the time machine that they need to come into the 21st century and accept that that was the way "it used to be". Times have changed and those that remove or advise others to remove the tips need to make the change too. Cell phones, computers, technology. Move on and leave the auto tips on and stop doing a disservice to both sides of the coin!

Edited by notentirelynormal

So I'm to believe that any cash money I tip, to any crew member that stands out. He can't keep it, and it must be turned into a pool and his money I gave him must be shared?? If that's the truth why bother? Assuming what I read is true, and they can not keep it!? And if they do keep it, there steeling from others. Seems to me tipping is not a good idea, and just leave and let the daily charge be it.

Edited by TORQ

So I'm to believe that any cash money I tip, to any crew member that stands out. He can't keep it, and it must be turned into a pool and his money I gave him must be shared?? If that's the truth why bother? Assuming what I read is true, and they can not keep it!? And if they do keep it, there steeling from others. Seems to me tipping is not a good idea, and just leave and let the daily charge be it.

My understanding is that if you leave the auto-grats on and also give cash to someone, they keep it as a tip.

If you remove the auto-grats and give cash INSTEAD, they must turn that cash in to be distributed like the auto-grats.

My understanding is that if you leave the auto-grats on and also give cash to someone, they keep it as a tip.

If you remove the auto-grats and give cash INSTEAD, they must turn that cash in to be distributed like the auto-grats.

I think leaving the auto tips on and then rewarding the person is best as the person knows you appreciate their efforts by the extra money, who cares if they share it or not, it is now their money.

Edited by MicCanberra

Your steward is there to service you. If you fail to tell him your needs then no need to pay him anything above his already set base pay (auto-tip). If however you have personal needs to be addressed within the scope of his duties then expect to pay for these services. I pre-pay, tip, bribe, share my wealth, distribute my funds, whatever you wish to call it, the moment I request my personalized service. How well he executes my requests will determine any post pay he recieves.

But from your first statement, you're basically saying that you expect your bribe to get you that egg crate, ice and all that ahead of every else. If you weren't expecting "immediate action," why don't you just do what most people do. Don't "bribe" but when you meet your cabin steward, greet them nicely by name, shake his hand. Most likely he will ask you if you need anything then. If not, don't hit him with your long list of requests (things like an extra ship's newsletter can be requested later...in fact, if I want one, I know I can stop by the front desk later on when things are quiet). But once you hand over a handful of cash, it's as if you're extracting some promise. Sorry, but we generally get great service without making a bunch of demands along with a bribe.

I've said it before

I don't pre tip

I don't tip as I go

And I've never had bad service.

But I DO

Talk to people

And say please and thank you

I've even been known to have a laugh with (never at) those serving me

I even say things like "When you've got time would you... " rather than expecting them to jump when I snap my fingers

Sometimes we even tell each other jokes.

You know treat them as iftheywere my equal not some inferior being.

that's what i did i treated them like i like to be treated , like they are human they are after all , they bleed the same as everyone else regardless of colour, religion or where they are from etc they have feelings like us all , i was always polite too had chats with all i met and laughs too and tried to learn some words of their language if i could , wasn't successful much at that one mexican word for hello and one african word that was along the lines of see you late

ALL myths. The best way is to leave the auto in place and tip extra where warranted.

Sorry should have QUOTED, the rely to my earlier question! I was told if I pull the daily tips. Just tip as I see fit. If you will. Yet in reading every post on this topic, here's what would happen them.

Ok but then based on what I've read here, they will then get in trouble from there supervisors. As to why did cabin so in so, pull the daily tips from you? What do you do wrong, for the people in cabin so in so to pull back the daily tips? Because I read here, where they know who pulled the tips. And that they get a paper, saying what rooms pulled there tips. And they must explain why, to there supers! So with that idea, where you thought your really helping this person out! Your throwing him under the bus. Right?

Edited by TORQ

If people take the tips off their auto the "worker" will be questioned to the why.

If its a good worker that has been with the co for many years-- nothing will happen. but if its a new worker he will be questioned.

and it may surprise you-- but many people do not tip at all

they think because they paid a lot of money for a vacation that the workers should be paid by the cruiselines--

imagine the price of a cruise if that was the case

Edited by serene56