Mal de Débarquement

I had no Mal de Debarquement at all.

From that I have to conclude that if you cruise regularly you build up immunity. :D:D:D

I think you could be right. Many years ago we used to cruise once a year and I did "feel the earth move" a fair bit when I got off the ship. Now we cruise several times a year, and longer cruises. I am less prone to seasickness and rarely have any feeling of Mal de Debarquement.:)

Therefore the cure is simple - cruise more often.:)

Interesting to hear the variations :p

Just to add my experience:

Cruise 1 Alaska smooth cruise ............................no post cruise issues

Cruise 2 NZ couple rough nights overall calm.........5 long days of major

vertigo post cruise

Cruise 3 NZ rougher than the above cruise.............no post cruise issues

My conclusion.....weird. I was really dreading the post cruise experience after my post cruise 2 issue but then nothing - hooray :D

That's what I thought before our last cruise, but the latter part of that cruise wasn't smooth seas so I think it may have more to do with overall acclimatisation ie regular cruising builds up immunity.

That's my excuse to do more cruising, and I'm sticking to it. :D :D :D

WB OzkiwiJJ ....how was the Solstice? What did you think of the food vs Princess? Subjective I know :)

WB OzkiwiJJ ....how was the Solstice? What did you think of the food vs Princess? Subjective I know :)

I've done quite a detailed review here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2296404

But in summary - not as good as Sun Princess last Christmas but better than Dawn Princess in August. In other words the jury is still out on that subject ;) :D

Interesting to hear the variations :p

Just to add my experience:

Cruise 1 Alaska smooth cruise ............................no post cruise issues

Cruise 2 NZ couple rough nights overall calm.........5 long days of major

vertigo post cruise

Cruise 3 NZ rougher than the above cruise.............no post cruise issues

My conclusion.....weird. I was really dreading the post cruise experience after my post cruise 2 issue but then nothing - hooray :D

How long between each cruise?

Yes. I had this in 2015. I do not get seasick but for several weeks after our cruise I was very dizzy. Had to keep grabbing things to stabilise. I went to a physio and then a gym class that seemed to stabilise it. Something like the crystals in the inner ear are dislodged.

Sorry TripleJ but it is getting worse for me after each cruise. I really dislike it. This last time I was taking stemetil for some time. I felt quite unwell.

Edited by Pushka

Yes. I had this in 2015. I do not get seasick but for several weeks after our cruise I was very dizzy. Had to keep grabbing things to stabilise. I went to a physio and then a gym class that seemed to stabilise it. Something like the crystals in the inner ear are dislodged.

That is BPPV (Benign Paroximal Positional Vertigo). It can come without warning, then go away and come back some time in the future. :(

That is BPPV (Benign Paroximal Positional Vertigo). It can come without warning, then go away and come back some time in the future. :(

Ok. Thanks for that - will do some research using that phrase. Didnt feel benign at the time. :p.

Edited by Pushka

I've done quite a detailed review here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2296404

But in summary - not as good as Sun Princess last Christmas but better than Dawn Princess in August. In other words the jury is still out on that subject ;) :D

Oh I missed your review thanks will go have a read. Hmm interesting to hear. I have no Solstice experience but it's sort of on my would like to list.

How long between each cruise?

Cruise 1 > 2 = 1 year

Cruise 2 > 3 = 2 months

Sorry TripleJ but it is getting worse for me after each cruise. I really dislike it. This last time I was taking stemetil for some time. I felt quite unwell.

That sounds like a bad experience. Poor you not nice at all. Mine was not nearly as severe but it was enough to make me dread it happening again but I got lucky nothing. phew.

Hope you get a better run next time

Oh, that's bad, Pushka. That would really put you off cruising. :(

Cruise 1 > 2 = 1 year

Cruise 2 > 3 = 2 months

Interesting! That adds to my theory that cruising often helps in many cases.

Ours were 2.5 months, 4.5 months and 3.5 months apart.

Anyone else want to contribute their experiences and statistics to this immensely important research study? ;)

Anyone else want to contribute their experiences and statistics to this immensely important research study? ;)

Arrived home from Millennium last Wednesday night. Had 3 days in Singapore post cruise and surprisingly enough no wobbly boot for me this time. Interestingly enough this was the first cruise I have ever experienced some light headedness while underway.

I feel a bit wobbly today but I think that may be preemptive as we might go out on our own boat tonight and I am anticipating the movement. Who knows? :eek:

Do you have enough prelim data to put together a research proposal for your Ph.D. now? :D

Saw this method recommended somewhere a while back, and some people have mentioned the technique that have had vertigo that don't cruise. May be relevant to some, maybe not for others.

http://cuanschutztoday.org/do-it-yourself-vertigo-treatment/

Hubby has been a bit unsteady after the last couple of cruises, but nothing like some other friends of ours had a while back. They could barely get along the highway from Sydney, and went to a doctor that recommended they stay in a motel and not drive until they felt better. They got some medicine from the doc also. Not sure what though. They were quite freaked out by the experience.

Oh, that's bad, Pushka. That would really put you off cruising. :(

Never! :p. Thankfully I had forgotten about it and life took over until I read this thread yesterday and it all came back to me. Must stay away from such threads now. :p

Now this is interesting. The exercise class I did that seemed to help was one involving the large gym balls that some sit on at work. An hour class where we were rolling over the ball with head down to the ground. Lots of up and down head movements. And it seemed very similar to the exercises in that link. And after that class I felt a lot better (4 weeks after first onset)

Saw this method recommended somewhere a while back, and some people have mentioned the technique that have had vertigo that don't cruise. May be relevant to some, maybe not for others.

http://cuanschutztoday.org/do-it-yourself-vertigo-treatment/

Hubby has been a bit unsteady after the last couple of cruises, but nothing like some other friends of ours had a while back. They could barely get along the highway from Sydney, and went to a doctor that recommended they stay in a motel and not drive until they felt better. They got some medicine from the doc also. Not sure what though. They were quite freaked out by the experience.

Thank you for posting the information. I have printed it off and will try it.

For several years my husband and Mum-in-law have used the Brandt-Daroff exercise that I got off the internet. They have had great relief from it. When I experienced vertigo (after being free of it for around 20 years) I decided to give this exercise a go. Wow. On the first movement I was overcome with extreme vertigo and nausea. I could say that I could hardly lift my head off the pillow but I had to, to throw up. :( This was after doing only one movement to one side. After a visit to the doctor and medication I went on to the Epley Maneuver. It helped.

I will try this treatment you have referred me to. At the moment I am reluctant to try it because my vertigo isn't too bad. I don't want to have the same reaction I had to the Brandt-Daroff. On the Epley site, they suggest doing the exercise last thing before going to bed so if it causes vertigo, at least you are going to be lying down anyway.;)

Once again, thank you. :):)

So your previous cruise was 7 months ago?

No, need more data. Lots more :D

It's interesting though!

Ha ha, the previous cruise before Millenium was only a short canal ride (5days) through the Scottish Highlands. The only ocean movement was the sea sides of the locks up and down into the canal. I get more time on the ocean when we go boating at home albeit in the sheltered waters behind the Reef.

Funding this research project will require thousands $$$$. Needs case studies, opportunities to replicate instances. :D

I have always had a small attack for about 2 days after a cruise but not too bad. Got off the solstice on Tuesday and still suffering badly giddy every time I move headaches and tiredness.

Back to work tomorrow so I will try the hot shower and hanging head thing

Cruise love