Crown – Removing Balcony Dividers

readytoembark

We have an Alaskan cruise booked this summer on the Crown Princess. We have two side by side aft rooms on the Dolphin deck: D735 and D737. I’m wondering if the balcony divider between them can be removed to create a single large balcony. I called Princess directly to ask the question and was told that they didn’t know which dividers could be removed. They told me to wait until we boarded the ship and then ask if it can be removed. It seems like this type of request would be something the crew would want to know ahead of time and not while they are boarding the ship. I’m wondering if anyone here knows whether it’s possible to remove the dividers between these two specific cabins and if so, should I really wait until I board the ship to request this? Thanks for your help.

We have an Alaskan cruise booked this summer on the Crown Princess. We have two side by side aft rooms on the Dolphin deck: D735 and D737. I’m wondering if the balcony divider between them can be removed to create a single large balcony. I called Princess directly to ask the question and was told that they didn’t know which dividers could be removed. They told me to wait until we boarded the ship and then ask if it can be removed. It seems like this type of request would be something the crew would want to know ahead of time and not while they are boarding the ship. I’m wondering if anyone here knows whether it’s possible to remove the dividers between these two specific cabins and if so, should I really wait until I board the ship to request this? Thanks for your help.

I'm not familiar with these specific cabins, but most balconies have doors that can be opened. You can't remove the dividers. There may be some cabins that don't have doors. Just ask your cabin steward to open the door between the balconies.

not scientific and I have no specific knowledge of those two cabins, but usually the door in the divider can be opened if the cabin numbers are in the same "hundreds".

but it's not like it makes it one big balcony and more than half the time I've sailed with friends/family in balcony rooms that can be opened we don't open the doors. some ships we had issues with open doors banging in the night, another time we had one where it kept getting stuck on one of the other balcony's balcony door so they couldn't open the door and get out onto their own balcony.

Do the balcony doors also open on Ruby Princess Mini Suites on the Emerald Deck? We have 3 cabins in row. Thanks.

Yes. We've had the last and next to last cabins on Emerald deck of the Ruby and were able to keep the door in the balcony divider open. We've also done the same with 3 cabins on the Coral (Dolphin 700 series cabins) and presume we will be able to do so on the Crown (last and next to last cabins on the Emerald deck) next December.

Edited by capriccio

• 2 weeks later...
I always get two rooms that we know ahead of time that open up to a bigger balcony...they already know in advanced which balconies do this...its the only way I will cruise now...

Which cabins did you book on Crown Princess that open fully between balconies ... more than just the normal service door? :confused:

LuLu

im going to b in L226 and my other friends r in the one to the right of us...we always have the door opened and they pin it open for us (carnival cruise line does at least) it makes one big balcony for us...where we have all the chairs out there plus the 2 tables and there is more then enough room for the other guests we bring that are in other rooms to come and enjoy a drink or two out there with us.

Which cabins did you book on Crown Princess that open fully between balconies ... more than just the normal service door? :confused:

LuLu

On the Crown and other Grand class ships and the Coral/Island there are no balcony dividers that open fully. It is just an access door that is about 30" wide.

The doors in the dividers on the Pacific, Royal and Regal are significantly wider.

Edited by IECalCruiser

Not all doors open to each other . If you are between fire doors, will not open.

We love the ones on the Crown and Ruby that open 30". Travel with friends and we book Caribe deck so they are larger too.

On the Island Princess,the balcony doors on Emerald Deck in the 700 numbers don't. It will say so right on the booking.

Not all doors open to each other . If you are between fire doors, will not open.

We love the ones on the Crown and Ruby that open 30". Travel with friends and we book Caribe deck so they are larger too.

On the Island Princess,the balcony doors on Emerald Deck in the 700 numbers don't. It will say so right on the booking.

There are doors in the balcony dividers between cabins at fire doors on the Grand class ships (such as the Crown) and the Coral/Island. I know because I have been in one of those cabins (D400) on the Sapphire. As you posted, there are cabins on Emerald and Dolphin deck on the Coral/Island at other locations that don't have doors in the balcony dividers. If you chose one of those cabins there will be a note telling you the "BALC CANNOT CONNECT WITH XXXX BALCONY." Because the balconies are set into the hull on the Sun class ships (Sun, Sea and Dawn) and the two (soon to be one [emoji26]) small ships (Ocean and Pacific), there are no doors in the balcony dividers between cabins at fire doors. This is noted on the deck plans for the Sun class ships, but not the Ocean and Pacific. In addition there are additional balcony cabins aft on deck six of the small ships that don't have doors in the balcony dividers. Edited by IECalCruiser

im going to b in L226 and my other friends r in the one to the right of us...we always have the door opened and they pin it open for us (carnival cruise line does at least) it makes one big balcony for us...where we have all the chairs out there plus the 2 tables and there is more then enough room for the other guests we bring that are in other rooms to come and enjoy a drink or two out there with us.

But you are not going to be on a Carnival ship!

You won't be able to do this on Crown Princess ....

LuLu

There are doors in the balcony dividers between cabins at fire doors on the Grand class ships (such as the Crown) and the Coral/Island. I know because I have been in one of those cabins (D400) on the Sapphire. As you posted, there are cabins on Emerald and Dolphin deck on the Coral/Island at other locations that don't have doors in the balcony dividers. If you chose one of those cabins there will be a note telling you the "BALC CANNOT CONNECT WITH XXXX BALCONY." Because the balconies are set into the hull on the Sun class ships (Sun, Sea and Dawn) and the two (soon to be one [emoji26]) small ships (Ocean and Pacific), there are no doors in the balcony dividers between cabins at fire doors. This is noted on the deck plans for the Sun class ships, but not the Ocean and Pacific. In addition there are additional balcony cabins aft on deck six of the small ships that don't have doors in the balcony dividers.

Where did you go to see the note -Balcony will not connect with xxxx cabin? We have D707 and D709 booked on the crown and I don't remember seeing this note but I want to double check if I can - thanks!

Where did you go to see the note -Balcony will not connect with xxxx cabin? We have D707 and D709 booked on the crown and I don't remember seeing this note but I want to double check if I can - thanks!
As I said in my post, there are no issues on the Crown. At least on the side of the ship there are doors in every balcony divider. You need to go to the deck plans for the Sun, Sea or Dawn and check a cabin at a fire door such as C340 or C402. On the Coral and Island there a cabins such as D620 and D622 without a door in the divider between them because of a structural member between the two cabins. Edited by IECalCruiser