Gastro Outbreak on Expolorer of the Seas

waydago

Well things could have changed in the years since then. They did constantly clean the rest of the ship, just not worry about the cabins. As I mentioned in my other post I go to the extreme now to make sure I don't catch it again. Even through I was already a constant hand washer, I still caught it back then.

They clean every inch of the ship - the handrails and even the walls several times a day. I was talking about cleaning the cabins because an earlier post referred to the possibility of the cabin steward contaminating a cabin after cleaning a cabin where passengers had noro. My answer was that (on Princess) the usual cabin stewards do not go into a cabin where a passenger has noro. Only the hit squad in their protective clothing go in twice a day to clean.

I should also add that the ships cleaning staff are an absolute tribute as to why it didn't spread to more of the 3,000+ guests. Every inch of the ship was disinfected and re-disinfected at least 3-4 times per hour. I saw one girl on our level who I witnessed from 8am to 6pm with a bucket and sponge just going up and back all the stateroom door handles, doors and railings constantly. She never stopped. Every time I walked to the room all day she was there.

The staff work very hard all the time and especially when on an alert.:D

Encouraging to hear how vigilante the cleaning staff were! *bar staff take note* [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22-Jan-2015 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

10-Jan-2014 Voyager Of The Seas3 Night Sampler Cruise

03-Feb-2012 Rhapsody Of The Seas 3 Night Sampler Cruise

Edited by Bitter Bulldog

OMG, our Xmas /New Year on Exporer is looking.....interesting:p

I saw a dad with his daughter at Windjammer on Voyager pick up a bread roll off the floor when the daughter dropped it, put it back in the pile and picked her another one with his bare hands:eek: disgusting!!

Were had trouble just getting a table in Windjammer, will try the dining room on Explorer for all meals.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise, thanks for the update

Chez

That's when I would have made a point and thrown it in the bin.

That's when I would have made a point and thrown it in the bin.

Agreed. On one cruise a young girl (maybe 5 or 6) ahead of me in the buffet line picked up a plate and stood rubbing her hands all over it. Then she changed her mind and put it back on the stack. I believe that her Mum saw this happen.

I didn't say anything to the family, but quietly picked up the plate and handed it to one of the staff, saying that it needed to go in for washing because someone had it and put it back on the pile. Problem sorted. :)

Had a last day she just got off the jewel and her friend saw someone come out of a toilet and went to walk out she asked is she going to wash the hands she said no but this person told the lady she will not allow her out till she did wash her hands in the end she did and she also later on apologised for originally not going to do . maybe she has talked to the services deal and they may have gone in the side of the one that made her wash the hands and explained why for her to day sorry ?

a question that never gets answered is -- on a ship of 3000 passengers and 1500? staff, why do ONLY 182 people get the Noro???? What are they doing, have done (or not done) - to get the virus.

Personally, I am convinced that the majority of the sufferers are indeed the ones who do not wash their hands enough -- or AT THE RIGHT TIME ( ie immediately before eating) !!!!

So what you are saying is you go and wash you hands after you have pick up the serving spoons at the buffet, after you have pulled the chair in and out to the table, after you have filled your cup with hot water. I could go on. All we can do is our best and sometimes that is not good enough and we become victims of others neglect.

It seems to me that if it was as simple as not touching things with your hands, rails, etc, then gastro would be rife on all the ships sailing out of Australia. I was on voyager of the seas a few decembers ago and she too had a big gastro outbreak, the similarity might be that they have recently come down from cruising around asia and hygene there might differ from ours and bugs might still be lingering in a dormant state. Just waiting for unsuspecting ausies.

It seems to me that if it was as simple as not touching things with your hands, and not washing your hands, then gastro would be rife on all the ships sailing out of Australia. I was on voyager of the seas a few decembers ago and she too had a big gastro outbreak, the similarity might be that they have recently come down from cruising around asia and hygene there might differ from ours and bugs might still be lingering in a dormant state. Just waiting for unsuspecting ausies.

So what you are saying is you go and wash you hands after you have pick up the serving spoons at the buffet, after you have pulled the chair in and out to the table, after you have filled your cup with hot water. I could go on. All we can do is our best and sometimes that is not good enough and we become victims of others neglect.

I suggest you wash your hands and also not to eat with your hands. Another option is to eat in the MDR where everything is served to you.

I suggest you wash your hands and also not to eat with your hands. Another option is to eat in the MDR where everything is served to you.

One lunch time I was a bit horrified to realise that during the meal the waiter was filling up the water glasses by picking them up. So people are eating and having a drink of water and then the waiter picks the same glass (dripping with water on the outside from condensation) up and fills it, and then picks up yours and refills it. Just the same as you picking up tongs in the buffet to me. I have previously seen waiters reach across with the water jug, and that would seem a much better idea to me.

I know sometimes they do similar in the buffet when they go to serving you the meal, but they take each plate from the guest, put food on it and then hand it back. Then they handle your plate.

I know nothing is perfect. Just an idea if there is an outbreak. Have a look at how your food and drink dishes are being handled.

A few people enjoyed mentioning the news story to me today, and when I said 182 our of 4700, I reckon there was a higher percentage of people sick here in town over winter, they stopped, thought and nodded.

Edited by goodycruising

One lunch time I was a bit horrified to realise that during the meal the waiter was filling up the water glasses by picking them up. So people are eating and having a drink of water and then the waiter picks the same glass (dripping with water on the outside from condensation) up and fills it, and then picks up yours and refills it. Just the same as you picking up tongs in the buffet to me. I have previously seen waiters reach across with the water jug, and that would seem a much better idea to me.

I know sometimes they do similar in the buffet when they go to serving you the meal, but they take each plate from the guest, put food on it and then hand it back. Then they handle your plate.

I know nothing is perfect. Just an idea if there is an outbreak. Have a look at how your food and drink dishes are being handled.

A few people enjoyed mentioning the news story to me today, and when I said 182 our of 4700, I reckon there was a higher percentage of people sick here in town over winter, they stopped, thought and nodded.

Some good points.

I agree about the percentages, Just today, 3 people out of 50 went home due to not feeling well after lunch. Perhaps it was something they ate as they all had pizza.

On Diamond Princess last month I heard them asking pax to use their own stateroom toilets wherever possible. They had all the entrance toilets doors open so those of us who do the right thing didn't have to touch them. Not sure if that measure encourages or disencourages people. Nobody got sick on that cruise.

On Diamond Princess last month I heard them asking pax to use their own stateroom toilets wherever possible. They had all the entrance toilets doors open so those of us who do the right thing didn't have to touch them. Not sure if that measure encourages or disencourages people. Nobody got sick on that cruise.

I have been on cruises where there is a room attendant in the bathroom which encourages those, who would otherwise just walk out to wash their hands.:D

This is why were are more interested in the cabin being closer to the centre. When you have a long walk it can be a bit off putting.

I have also seen a sign near the public toilet door saying "please use paper towel on the door handles" or whatever the wording is. You look for the bin and it is 3 steps away! Hello!

Mic - I hope you didn't have the pizza!

This is why were are more interested in the cabin being closer to the centre. When you have a long walk it can be a bit off putting.

I have also seen a sign near the public toilet door saying "please use paper towel on the door handles" or whatever the wording is. You look for the bin and it is 3 steps away! Hello!

Mic - I hope you didn't have the pizza!

No it was another section 3 out of the ten that had pizza:(.

One of my pet hates about this nasty little virus is that the cruise line always blames "a passenger" it suits them legally to blame a passenger. Heaven forbid it is never a "crew member" which is equally as possible as a passenger. After all crew members are humans too and can slip in hygiene standards from time to time. They are not the perfect specimens of humans cruise lines would have us believe otherwise they would not be working on cruise ships to make a living.

What I do now for every cruise I go on is that I pack a tub of dettol anti-bacterial wipes. They are a damp surface cleaner and kill 99.9% of germs. With those wipes I wipe down every single surface in my cabin from tv remote, to every coat hanger I intend to use, to the door handles, drawer handles, chairs, tables. Nothing escapes being cleaned down by those wipes. I certainly know the cabin steward wont do that amount of cleaning. I even wipe down the inside surface of every single drawer.

Since I started doing that and avoiding the gym on a cruise ship even though I like to keep fit, on the ships with outbreaks of this nasty little virus, I have remained healthy and did not get sick.

I carry some non-alcohol sanitiser in my handbag and often resanitise my hands after pulling my chair in, handling the menus etc. I also avoid the buffet. Survived a Noro outbreak on Sun Princess last Christmas. Currently on Celebrity Solstice and hoping she will remain Noro-free.

I carry some non-alcohol sanitiser in my handbag and often resanitise my hands after pulling my chair in, handling the menus etc. I also avoid the buffet. Survived a Noro outbreak on Sun Princess last Christmas. Currently on Celebrity Solstice and hoping she will remain Noro-free.

I hope so too, will be on her for NYE.:D

Good points about the greater percentage of people getting sick in your town or at work. I'm sure we've all seen some pretty gross hygiene on planes and at a hotel breakfast buffet. The only difference is that cruise lines are required to report noro virus outbreaks; airlines and hotels are not. So that's why we only read about this problem when it happens on a cruise. It's a shame this is one of the main reasons why some people say they'd never take a cruise.