Regal Princess: Port Everglades logistics

Oh2B@C

This happened to us last year and we waited in a line that makes the theme parks look like child's play. There was zero organization to the line and just when you thought you made it to the front after one whole hour, you then discovered the line switched back and waited almost another hour. I witnessed several near fights amongst passengers v passengers and passengers vs. port authority personnel. I'm surprised there were no arrests, that's how bad it was. There were insufficient full size shuttle buses making run after run. Keep in mind that when we return on the Regal on Dec. 27th this year, there will be 21,000 passengers in Port Everglades that day. That is why my brother will be dropping us off this year. Never again! Plan wisely!

This happened to us once (left from 21 and returned to 2). Princess had a shuttle running between the two. We waited all of 5 minutes and the shuttle took off (with only a half dozen people on it).

As far as walking out of the port -- it is a long, hot (no shade) walk with lots of truck traffic to 17th Street. That's where you want to go since that has shops, restaurants, the sun trolley (www.suntrolley.com) and a water taxi (www.watertaxi.com) stop. See the Port Everglades map: http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/content/docs/media/PEG545_MultiMapBrochure_Map_REVISED-Feb-17-2015.pdf. You might want to check out a satellite view to ensure that there are sidewalks the entire way.

Thanks for the Suntrolley website, will have a good long look at that.

I've been scouring the PE website for any and all info available. I've also looked at the Google maps satellite view and it looks like there are sidewalks, but I'm not sure how reliable that map will be given all the construction that might be going on when I return on March 13. I know everybody says their city is the worst ;) but being a pedestrian in Montreal definitely prepares you for the worst kind of traffic. More Europe than Canada when it comes to driver courtesy or lack thereof...:eek:

This happened to us last year and we waited in a line that makes the theme parks look like child's play. There was zero organization to the line. There were insufficient full size shuttle buses making run after run. Keep in mind that when we return on the Regal on Dec. 27th this year, there will be 21,000 passengers in Port Everglades that day.

Nine ships scheduled in PE on March 13, including Royal AND Regal, X Silhouette, Eurodam, Navigator and Allure of the seas, Carnival Conquest... Sounds like a BUSY day to say the least. Even more glad to have an 8 PM flight home...Perhaps less of a shuttle crunch if I get off the ship at the last possible moment...

Thanks for the Suntrolley website, will have a good long look at that.

I've been scouring the PE website for any and all info available. I've also looked at the Google maps satellite view and it looks like there are sidewalks,

If you are walking to berth 21, you will not be using sidewalks

for most of the trip.

This happened to us last year and we waited in a line that makes the theme parks look like child's play. There was zero organization to the line and just when you thought you made it to the front after one whole hour, you then discovered the line switched back and waited almost another hour.

When we needed to do this, Mrs. Pablo and I split up.

I went out among the very first walk-offs. I jumped on

the shuttle, and brought the car back to the berth with

the ship.

Mrs. Pablo came out a bit later (when her color was called)

with a porter and our bags.

When there are several ships around berth 21, you can really

be stuck. The cab line can be as long as what you described

above.

Oh oh... sounds like a busy day on March 13th. My return flight to Toronto is at 11:30 am. Do you think I'll have a problem making my flight?

The only problem is you're flying to Toronto... WAH HA HA HA HA HA HA...

I'm just kidding... just a little Mtl vs TO banter...:o I actually lived in Scarborough for a few years; McCowan & 401. Nice area.

11:30 is cutting it close because you need the ship to arrive on time and start unloading as close to 7 AM as possible. If you sign up for independent walk-off, that is carry all your own stuff, and you get off at 7 AM, then you're probably safe. The airport is pretty close. I've never needed to get off as early as possible, so I can talk from experience about the possible line up for cabs at that hour.

My flight is at 8 PM. I'm chillin' on the ship until the last possible moment.:cool:

Since the Regal does 7-day cruises and the Royal does 10-day cruises, they will sometimes be in PE at the same time, for example on Sunday Dec 20 as was said above. Looks like Royal receives priority at Pier 2 over Regal, on Dec 20 anyway.

As for my cruise, departing is OK but returning March 13 when Royal will also be in PE. So if we dock at Pier 21 for example, will this affect my wanting to walk OUT of the port. I only fly home at 8:00 PM so I have all the time in the world that day.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Am on Regal 3-06. Really appreciating your posts. You are eliciting answers to questions I didn't even know to ask. I have an 11:40 flight on 3-13 and read Royal would be in port but assumed Regal would have priority (based on what I have no clue). Will it be any more difficult to disembark or get a cab Pier 21?

Carolyn in Texas

Since the Regal does 7-day cruises and the Royal does 10-day cruises, they will sometimes be in PE at the same time, for example on Sunday Dec 20 as was said above. Looks like Royal receives priority at Pier 2 over Regal, on Dec 20 anyway.

As for my cruise, departing is OK but returning March 13 when Royal will also be in PE. So if we dock at Pier 21 for example, will this affect my wanting to walk OUT of the port. I only fly home at 8:00 PM so I have all the time in the world that day.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Am on Regal 3-06. Really appreciating your posts. You are eliciting answers to questions I didn't even know to ask. I have an 11:40 flight on 3-13 and read Royal would be in port but assumed Regal would have priority (based on what I have no clue). Will it be any more difficult to disembark or get a cab Pier 21?

Carolyn in Texas

You might consider doing the self walk off so you have plenty of time.

Thanks, Colo. Heard you guys up there got some flakes today. I can barely self-walk myself off, let alone luggage. I am hoping to sign up for the send-the-luggage to the airport option. Have read on here Princess will assign my group departure if I do this option. If not, I'll do something else. Parking at airport in Dallas, so no one else involved in airport time arrival arrangements. Every bit of info helps. Thanks, Carolyn

Thanks, Colo. I am hoping to sign up for the send-the-luggage to the airport option. Have read on here Princess will assign my group departure if I do this option. If not, I'll do something else.

Assuming your airline participates in E-Z check (sending your luggage ahead program) you will just make the flight cut-off time. Princess only accepts luggage for flights after 11:30. Good planning!

Thanks, Colo. Heard you guys up there got some flakes today. I can barely self-walk myself off, let alone luggage. I am hoping to sign up for the send-the-luggage to the airport option. Have read on here Princess will assign my group departure if I do this option. If not, I'll do something else. Parking at airport in Dallas, so no one else involved in airport time arrival arrangements. Every bit of info helps. Thanks, Carolyn

Yes we got slammed and add the wind we now have 6 ft drifts! :eek:

Spent all afternoon shoveling. :(

Alas back to the 50's this weekend though. :D

Colo, at least snow normal for you this time of year. Been hearing on weather reports Buffalo, NY, had highest temp since 1800's today. Lowest temp in the lower 48's was in Arizona. We've had periods of really heavy rain and areas of flooding in TX this year. Flew home from my cruise in Feb to an iced in Dallas. Hadn't heard one word about it until I got to airport in New Orleans. I don't drive on ice. I did then. Weather is going to be perfect in March. I just know. By the way, I've never seen a 6 ft. snowdrift. Why don't you just wait until the 50's temps and let the ice melt instead of all that shoveling.

Carolyn

The only problem is you're flying to Toronto... WAH HA HA HA HA HA HA...

I'm just kidding... just a little Mtl vs TO banter...:o I actually lived in Scarborough for a few years; McCowan & 401. Nice area.

11:30 is cutting it close because you need the ship to arrive on time and start unloading as close to 7 AM as possible. If you sign up for independent walk-off, that is carry all your own stuff, and you get off at 7 AM, then you're probably safe. The airport is pretty close. I've never needed to get off as early as possible, so I can talk from experience about the possible line up for cabs at that hour.

My flight is at 8 PM. I'm chillin' on the ship until the last possible moment.:cool:

You're right... McCown and 401 is a nice area...that's close to where I live. 😊 Thanks for the advice...we will definetly do independent walk off then. We're early risers so 7 won't be a problem.

You can now walk/drive to the convention center and/or berth 2

without going through security, as long as you enter from

Southeast 17th Street.

This is very new.

I had to make a drive to Total Wine today :D and passed by the Eisenhower entrance to Port Everglades. The 'new' security booth wasn't in operation; they were still checking folks at the booth before the entrance to terminals 2 and 4.

I did see on the Port Everglades website that the new entrance is still under construction and while it describes how that will move the convention center out of PE security it doesn't mention anything about terminals 2 and 4. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Currently underway, the Seaport & Convention Center Security Improvement Project will move the checkpoint at Eisenhower Blvd. south and carve out the Convention Center from the secure area of the Port, giving the public direct access to the Convention Center and alleviating traffic congestion.

I had to make a drive to Total Wine today :D and passed by the Eisenhower entrance to Port Everglades. The 'new' security booth wasn't in operation; they were still checking folks at the booth before the entrance to terminals 2 and 4.

That is really weird! I wonder if it is a weekday thing?

And, I thought I read that the old booths were to be

demolished. Hopefully, not while they are in use.

Just as long as there is no checkpoint getting to TOTAL WINE!

• 2 weeks later...

I did see on the Port Everglades website that the new entrance is still under construction and while it describes how that will move the convention center out of PE security it doesn't mention anything about terminals 2 and 4. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Currently underway, the Seaport & Convention Center Security Improvement Project will move the checkpoint at Eisenhower Blvd. south and carve out the Convention Center from the secure area of the Port, giving the public direct access to the Convention Center and alleviating traffic congestion.

A newspaper article mentioned the old checkpoint was to begin to be dismantled starting Dec 7 or so. Terminal 2 is supposed to have security inside the terminal now, not a booth outside. Terminal 4 was recently renovated and isn't entered from the side facing terminal 2 anymore. It's entrance is on the west side of the building, and the parking is still accessed through the new security gate. The driveway to 4 now starts just north of the 24th St intersection, goes north to the terminal and then doubles back south again.

2 or more people a cab is cheaper then the shuttles. They charge around $14 each if I remember correctly. A cab will be around $10 to $14 depending on traffic. Also is cheaper when departing versus Princess shuttle. I'm not dragging my luggage to the port to much traffic and no sidewalks, most of the way.

• 2 weeks later...

The old booths are now completely gone.

You can drive to berth 2 / convention center without passing

through any security.

Eisenhower blvd is under construction, so it squeezes down to

one lane after entering the port.

This caused the entering traffic to back up to walgreens, negating

any benefit from bypassing the 'old' checkpoint.

Hopefully, that will get straightened out.