Regal Princess: Port Everglades logistics

Oh2B@C

Well I finally did it! After all my ranting against the new ships, I am going to give the Regal a try - "Why the heck not" I say... March 6, 7-Day Eastern Caribbean out of Port Everglades.

So, wondering if I could have some opinions/past experiences regarding Port Everglades.

1. Can you walk in? I'll be staying close by but my hotel (OK, it's more like a cheap motel...:o) does not offer a shuttle

2. Is it possible to go to another hotel and use their for-fee shuttle even if I am not a guest there (I will call some hotels myself but I thought I might get some good info on this board)

3. On the Port Everglades website, Princess ships appear to be leaving from terminal 2 most of the time. But what if TWO Princess ships are leaving the same day, as is the case on March 6: Regal AND Coral. Does one get precedence over the other? Stated another way: What is the likelihood that Regal will NOT be berthed at Terminal 2?

Thank you for your assistance and shared expertise!

Well I finally did it! After all my ranting against the new ships, I am going to give the Regal a try - "Why the heck not" I say... March 6, 7-Day Eastern Caribbean out of Port Everglades.

So, wondering if I could have some opinions/past experiences regarding Port Everglades.

1. Can you walk in? I'll be staying close by but my hotel (OK, it's more like a cheap motel...:o) does not offer a shuttle

2. Is it possible to go to another hotel and use their for-fee shuttle even if I am not a guest there (I will call some hotels myself but I thought I might get some good info on this board)

3. On the Port Everglades website, Princess ships appear to be leaving from terminal 2 most of the time. But what if TWO Princess ships are leaving the same day, as is the case on March 6: Regal AND Coral. Does one get precedence over the other? Stated another way: What is the likelihood that Regal will NOT be berthed at Terminal 2?

If the ship is at Pier #2 then yes you can walk. We have done it a few times. Have your passport/boarding pass etc ready to show at the entrance gate.

I think Regal gets Pier #2 first.

Most hotels shuttles are signed up for and full the night before so I doubt you could do that. A cab is only $10 or less if you are close by.

1. Can you walk in? I'll be staying close by but my hotel (OK, it's more like a cheap motel...:o) does not offer a shuttle You can walk into Port just have all your documentation (passport, boarding pass) ready to show security. This is only recommended if your ship is at terminal 2; the other terminals are further away and PE is a cargo port and walking isn't that comfortable.

2. Is it possible to go to another hotel and use their for-fee shuttle even if I am not a guest there (I will call some hotels myself but I thought I might get some good info on this board) Popular cruiser hotels, especially those offering a shuttle, have enough problems getting all their guests to the port especially in the high season. Most hotels have their guests sign up in advance for shuttles. Those that don't might (should?) question someone walking in off the sidewalk to get on a shuttle. Where are you staying? Taxis aren't expensive from the 17th street area and Uber is even cheaper.

3. On the Port Everglades website, Princess ships appear to be leaving from terminal 2 most of the time. But what if TWO Princess ships are leaving the same day, as is the case on March 6: Regal AND Coral. Does one get precedence over the other? Stated another way: What is the likelihood that Regal will NOT be berthed at Terminal 2? Regal (and Royal) get priority for terminal 2. If both are in port I'm not sure how it is decided. A week before you can check out https://pevvesseltraffic.broward.org...Movements.aspx. The number in the 5th column is the terminal number. When you arrive at the port security will know plus it will be posted on a large sign when you pass security in case it has changed.

See answers in red.

Re. walking in the port: Do I have to line up at the booths where the cars go through?

Re. other hotels' shuttles: I would only look for hotels that charge a fee. I am not so brash as to try to sneak onto a free shuttle at a hotel where I am not staying.

THX

Edited by Oh2B@C

1. Can you walk in? I'll be staying close by but my hotel (OK, it's more like a cheap motel...:o) does not offer a shuttle.

Yes, you can walk if your ship is docked at pier 2 or pier 4. Port Everglades posts the final pier assignments 7 days prior to sailings. You can verify at that time. Be advised you can ONLY enter on foot at the Eisenhower Blvd entrance accessed from S.E. 17th St.

You can call and try and take a shuttle from another hotel providing the hotel is next to your hotel. If you are close by the port, taxi fares are very inexpensive, from S.E. 17th St. about $10/$15 for two + tip. Shuttles are normally more expensive than a taxi.

See note no. 1, Port Everglades has the final say. But, the Regal is doing 7 day cruises throughout the season, so it will most likely be at Pier 2. The Coral Princess does 10 day cruises and isn't always in Ft. Lauderdale on a Sunday. The Coral will most likely be assigned another pier on March 6th.

See above. No matter what the situation it is very easy to get to the pier from the hotel.

Edited by sknight

Re. walking in the port: Do I have to line up at the booths where the cars go through?

Re. other hotels' shuttles: I would only look for hotels that charge a fee. I am not so brash as to try to sneak onto a free shuttle at a hotel where I am not staying.

THX

There is sidewalk. Crew and passengers passing through all the time. We have not encountered a line.

Just take a cab, its cheap.

BTW this isn't about saving money, I'm just curious as I like to walk whenever I can, especially before a cruise since I eat everything in sight! I was also mildly curious about hotel shuttles but I'd probably do a taxi instead.

Just to add to my curiosity, I read on the PE website that they are moving the Eisenhower Blvd security booths south of 20th St to ease the Convention Center traffic flow. But how is that going to work for accessing Pier 2, which is North of 20th St?

I have walked to pier 2 twice. No problem. There will be crew members walking through too. Yes, have docs handy.

If I prefer to walk, why pay for a taxi? I get a little exercise with that walk. I need all the exercise I can get before that embarkation lunch. : )

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

Just to add to my curiosity, I read on the PE website that they are moving the Eisenhower Blvd security booths south of 20th St to ease the Convention Center traffic flow. But how is that going to work for accessing Pier 2, which is North of 20th St?

You can now walk/drive to the convention center and/or berth 2

without going through security, as long as you enter from

Southeast 17th Street.

This is very new.

Edited by pablo222

Southeast 17th Street.

This is very new.

Wow - when was that changed? I haven't seen anything on the Florida Departures Board and it must be since we just sailed out of there in October and went thru the 'new' security gate that had been moved further south to right before the access to terminals 2 and 4 (and the Northport Garage). I can't say that makes me feel very secure...

Wow - when was that changed? I haven't seen anything on the Florida Departures Board and it must be since we just sailed out of there in October and went thru the 'new' security gate that had been moved further south to right before the access to terminals 2 and 4 (and the Northport Garage). I can't say that makes me feel very secure...

According to the PE website:

"As part of the project to separate the Greater Fort Lauderdale/Broward County Convention Center from the Port's controlled access area, the new security checkpoint on Eisenhower Blvd. south of 20th Street has been opened. Demolition of the old security checkpoint on Eisenhower Blvd. has begun and will be conducted in phases. The first phase involves reducing inbound traffic to one lane. Along with the demolition, the project includes widening the Port's entrance at the Convention Center. When completed, the new entrance will consist of two outbound lanes and two inbound lanes with a designated left turn lane into the Convention Center and Cruise Terminal 2."

And this:

"This project moves the security checkpoint on Eisenhower Boulevard further south and a security perimeter will be created around the Northport Parking Garage to carve out the Broward County/Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention Center from the controlled access area of the Port."

I guess they will have some sort of security checkpoint waiting for people who go left onto 20th St to access terminal 2

Just so you know, we have stayed at the Hyatt Place on 17th street before and taken a cab to Pier 2. Fare is $10 total. Hardly expensive. You don't have to worry about walking and they drop you off right at the terminal.

I guess they will have some sort of security checkpoint waiting for people who go left onto 20th St to access terminal 2

Having personally driven to, and parked in the convention center

parking garage, without going through any security checkpoint,

I think your guess would be wrong.

Southeast 17th Street.

This is very new.

We were on a BTB and was at PE on a Sunday on the Regal. We walked out of the pier but when we were going back we took a taxi as it was raining. There was a long line up around 1 PM. We thought it was because of security and it was but the security booth is past the entrance to Pier 2. As soon as we got near the road to Pier 2 we were able to turn off and get to the pier without having to go through any security at all. By the way this was two Sundays ago.

Just before the Ft. Lauderdale boat show.

That would explain it - we returned the weekend before! I can understand why they want unimpeded access for convention center guests to the Northport garage but it still boggles the mind that any vehicle can get close to the ships at terminals 2 and 4 without going through security.

For those who thinks Regal gets first dibs on Pier 2....Our cruise on Regal next Sunday does NOT leave out of Pier 2, and to the best of my knowledge WILL BE returning to Pier 2. This will be the 2nd year in a row that we will leave and return to different terminals. Learned our lesson last year about parking in the garage and the needing to be shuttled. My brother, who lives nearby will be dropping us this year!!!

For those who thinks Regal gets first dibs on Pier 2....Our cruise on Regal next Sunday does NOT leave out of Pier 2, and to the best of my knowledge WILL BE returning to Pier 2. This will be the 2nd year in a row that we will leave and return to different terminals. Learned our lesson last year about parking in the garage and the needing to be shuttled. My brother, who lives nearby will be dropping us this year!!!

The Royal/Regal do get first dibs to Pier #2. You are at #21 because the Royal is at #2

Edited by Colo Cruiser

It could be worse -- when the garage is full, you can end up in

an overflow surface lot either in the tank farm, or in mid-port.

This is the (holiday) season for that!

Since the Regal does 7-day cruises and the Royal does 10-day cruises, they will sometimes be in PE at the same time, for example on Sunday Dec 20 as was said above. Looks like Royal receives priority at Pier 2 over Regal, on Dec 20 anyway.

As for my cruise, departing is OK but returning March 13 when Royal will also be in PE. So if we dock at Pier 21 for example, will this affect my wanting to walk OUT of the port. I only fly home at 8:00 PM so I have all the time in the world that day.

As was stated above, the people who arrived in their own cars and parked near Pier 2 could find themselves arriving at Pier 21. Does PE have shuttles within the port to take you from one area to the other?

As for my cruise, departing is OK but returning March 13 when Royal will also be in PE. So if we dock at Pier 21 for example, will this affect my wanting to walk OUT of the port. I only fly home at 8:00 PM so I have all the time in the world that day.

As was stated above, the people who arrived in their own cars and parked near Pier 2 could find themselves arriving at Pier 21. Does PE have shuttles within the port to take you from one area to the other?

This happened to us once (left from 21 and returned to 2). Princess had a shuttle running between the two. We waited all of 5 minutes and the shuttle took off (with only a half dozen people on it).

As far as walking out of the port -- it is a long, hot (no shade) walk with lots of truck traffic to 17th Street. That's where you want to go since that has shops, restaurants, the sun trolley (http://www.suntrolley.com) and a water taxi (http://www.watertaxi.com) stop. See the Port Everglades map: http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/content/docs/media/PEG545_MultiMapBrochure_Map_REVISED-Feb-17-2015.pdf. You might want to check out a satellite view to ensure that there are sidewalks the entire way.