?? Grand Cayman on our own?

alwalaska

Are places close enough together or is there good enough public transportation that we can do Grand Cayman on our own without either a public or private tour?

The island looks amazing, but I would rather save our tour money for locations that seem a little shadier or farther away from the port.

We have done many places on our own including Nassau, Bermuda, NYC, and more.

Any suggestions for "must sees" or places to avoid are also appreciated. We don't want to sit on a beach, but we may be open to snorkeling, depending on what we plan for other locations. We like history, culture, and nature. No zipline or high activity items this trip.

GC has a wonderful bus system...$2.50 pp...and very reliable. A guidebook is a must if you are doing things on your own..,.you should ALWAYS know something about where you're going. GC is very safe.

Some of the more popular things are : stingrays, turtle farm, and Hell (although that is just a very quick thing...to say you've been to Hell)...I'd skip that if I were you!

Read up on GC....no need for "excursions" there!

Is it reasonable to try and get out to the botanical garden or other locations on the East end of the island by bus? From what I can find online, it looks like those routes only run once an hour.

No, I would stick with the bus system only on the West side. If you want to go to the East side, rent a car or hire a driver.

Easy to wander on your own. bus system is great. If you go in the OPPOSITE direction of 7 mile beach about 20 min walk you'll find the wonderful and quiet Smith Cove. What a find! A great getaway from the crowds. there's a beach front open air bar on the way back with amazing views

Is it reasonable to try and get out to the botanical garden or other locations on the East end of the island by bus? From what I can find online, it looks like those routes only run once an hour.

The guideline is once an hour, but as the buses are private enterprises (ie not government-run) the schedule is more a recommendation than a rule. There are frequent complaints about East End and North Side buses not doing their full routes, not coming at the suggested intervals, etc.

I NEVER recommend that cruise ship visitors try to access anything outside of George Town or West Bay by bus. There's no guarantee when you will find a return trip, and a taxi would have to be called to your location, so you might miss your ship.

Rent a car, find an excursion that hits the stops you're interested in, or hire a taxi for the day.

Thanks all.

Other than beaches, Hell, turtles, and sting rays, what else is interesting?

I figure we will get off of the ship and wonder around Georgetown and then see what we want to do after that depending on the time, weather, etc.

Edited by alwalaska

This will be our third time to Grand Caymen, on our upcoming cruise in January. We have been to String Ray sand bar and the turtle farm, we loved both. I think this time we are going just hang out on the beach at Seven Mile.

This will be our third time to Grand Caymen, on our upcoming cruise in January. We have been to String Ray sand bar and the turtle farm, we loved both. I think this time we are going just hang out on the beach at Seven Mile.

If you happen to see a map with a walking tour of the historical buildings in Georgetown or something similar when you get off of the ship, can you please let me know when you get back?

Thanks! Have a great trip.

We are big beach people, so it looks like 7 mile is best option by bus?

We have taken buses in Bermuda so its a comfortable way to go for us

Can anyone confirm?

I can't confirm from personal knowledge - but, from all I've read - 7 mile beach is the answer and here is a post about exactly how to find the right bus and all.

Someone else mentioned Cemetery Beach as being less crowded and really great as well.