Ncl no longer using Academy Bus from Boston to NY terminal

tigerlilycruiser12

I just got a call from Acadmey Bus Line from Boston to NY. I was told that I will be giving back the money I sent for transpatation to NY in April. They said to call NCL to see if other arrangements have been made. I was told that many people are upset. Anyone know anything about this. As far as I know they are still transporting RCL passengers.

Thanks in advance.

I think that was the only Bus that did a drop off to the Pier but You can use the "Go Bos" which offers service from Newton, MA to NYC...literally 10 minutes from the Pier. We saved a ton of money that way. There are also several other options: Peterpan, Greyhound, Limo Liner (bit more upscale) Also the academy bus was in Quincy I think which is inconvenient for people like me who live west of Boston.

Hope that helps!

I just got a call from Acadmey Bus Line from Boston to NY. I was told that I will be giving back the money I sent for transpatation to NY in April. They said to call NCL to see if other arrangements have been made. I was told that many people are upset. Anyone know anything about this. As far as I know they are still transporting RCL passengers.

Thanks in advance.

Not surprised, my daughter took this bus in May and there were only 4 of them till Worcester, a small group got on in Worcester, they skipped Springfield there wasn't anyone to pick up, they hung out in Hartford waiting for the two people that they needed to pick up there.

The return trips was long. They were picked up about 230 at the pier and they didn't get home till 9pm.

Its too bad, it was very convenient, we live in Weymouth, about 5 miles from the pick up spot.

Hi All,

Sad news about the Academy Boston to NYC run being canceled. We are scheduled to go this weekend, from Worcester to NCL terminal, to cruise to Bahamas over Christmas. Does anyone happen to know where they pick up in Union Station in Worcester? Is it clear when you get inside where you should go wait? How do know when and where you will be picked up at the cruise terminal on the way back?

Thanks!!

In October I was waiting at Union Station, Worcester for the Peter Pan Bus to NYC, to get into the city a couple days in advance of my Gem cruise. I noticed Academy picking people up for the Breakaway, right out in middle of the driveway, but they only had 4 or 5 people to get on board. In November I used Academy for a Breakaway cruise, and the driver actually pulled into one of the bays that Peter Pan uses. They showed up about 45 minutes late too. Heading home we picked the bus up down at pier 90, where there is a waiting area. The bus came around 1:15.

Not surprised, my daughter took this bus in May and there were only 4 of them till Worcester, a small group got on in Worcester, they skipped Springfield there wasn't anyone to pick up, they hung out in Hartford waiting for the two people that they needed to pick up there.

The return trips was long. They were picked up about 230 at the pier and they didn't get home till 9pm.

Its too bad, it was very convenient, we live in Weymouth, about 5 miles from the pick up spot.

YES, the trip home is agonizingly long! I am glad I wasn't going all the way to Braintree.

Hi All,

Sad news about the Academy Boston to NYC run being canceled. We are scheduled to go this weekend, from Worcester to NCL terminal, to cruise to Bahamas over Christmas. Does anyone happen to know where they pick up in Union Station in Worcester? Is it clear when you get inside where you should go wait? How do know when and where you will be picked up at the cruise terminal on the way back?

Thanks!!

We will keep an eye out for you if you keep an eye out for us ...lol. We are also going out of Worcester. I am so keeping my fingers crossed that this transfer goes out without a hitch !

I can't say for sure...but it sounds like the cruise lines may have guaranteed a minimum number of passengers to Academy, and perhaps they no longer have that agreement...

The Port Authority Bus Terminal is only about a mile away, and there are frequent schedules to/from all points. Maybe not as convenient as direct to pier service, but then you can probably get an express direct to your station, without a convoluted ride trying to serve a bunch of different towns...

Edited by bob brown

@vince g I think I was on this bus in November and we went to Braintree!!!! Took forever to get home. I am going to miss this bus I used it a few times and never had any problem I hope NCL has a replacement. We can always drive but it is just so much easier getting on the bus.

Edited by letsgocruisin

I've always taken this bus to NY. Have trips booked for April and May. I'll have to find a new way. I know I can take Amtrak, but where do I leave my car? It was so easy leaving my car at Green airport. Same with finding another bus-where to leave the car. I'm glad I have a few months to figure it out.

• 4 weeks later...

On December 15, 2015, we called Academy Bus and booked a round trip ticket (out of Braintree to Manhattan Cruise Terminal and back again) for our daughter who is traveling on the Gem on Jan 22 returning Feb 1. The woman told me that this sailing was the absolute last sailing for which Academy was providing transportation - FOR ANY CRUISE LINE. I asked her why, and she was pretty vague/unclear, but it seemed that it was Academy that was cutting the cord, not the cruise lines........in any case, she assured me that there will be a bus there on Feb 1 when the ship returns to Manhattan, to bring my daughter back to MA - I sure hope so!!

Academy Bus Lines is a reputable company owned by Francis Tedesco, Esq. and his brother Mark. Started, decades back, by their dad the late Frank Tedesco, the company is headquartered in Hoboken, NJ. They currently have a fleet of 600+ buses across the USA.

History aside, I would think NCL has either found a more affordable motorcoach carrier or something occurred to end any contract between the parties.

Whatever the facts, it is unfortunate that some will be inconvenienced. Academy is well respected in the industry.

@vince g I think I was on this bus in November and we went to Braintree!!!! Took forever to get home. I am going to miss this bus I used it a few times and never had any problem I hope NCL has a replacement. We can always drive but it is just so much easier getting on the bus.

Yes, you probably were on the same cruise - November 15-22. I was the solo traveler. Next cruise we will be taking Peter Pan down to NY, probably a day ahead. Coming home we'll disembark early and grab a cab to Port Authority.

• 3 months later...
I wish. My cruise is in 10 days and still haven't decided how I'm getting there.

I've googled everywhere and haven't found anything. I have more time but still... this was unexpected. I hate to fly there. It's so much more expensive for that route with transfers. However, Amtrak is notoriously unreliable. :(

I've googled everywhere and haven't found anything. I have more time but still... this was unexpected. I hate to fly there. It's so much more expensive for that route with transfers. However, Amtrak is notoriously unreliable. :(

If you can manage it, it's probably best to take Amtrak down the day before and do an overnight in NY. C'mon and stay over, we're really nice here!:rolleyes: