Platinum question...

bobg529

I'm headed out on the Escape in a few weeks and this will be my first cruise sailing Platinum. I'm seeing that many of the specialty restaurants have limited availability. Cagneys is already fully booked on line, but fortunately I booked that already. I know I have a dinner in LeBistro coming to me, should I book it now and then go thru the hassle of trying to get my bill fixed when I board, or should I just wait and book when I embark? Thanks ahead of time for any help!:)

I'm headed out on the Escape in a few weeks and this will be my first cruise sailing Platinum. I'm seeing that many of the specialty restaurants have limited availability. Cagneys is already fully booked on line, but fortunately I booked that already. I know I have a dinner in LeBistro coming to me, should I book it now and then go thru the hassle of trying to get my bill fixed when I board, or should I just wait and book when I embark? Thanks ahead of time for any help!:)

I would book it now, there shouldn't be any charge because it's a la carte, then when you arrive, just hand over your slip to the hostess.

I'd wait until you are on board, rather than trying to get refunds. I've not had problems with NCL platinum dinners, and being a little flexible. IF there is only one day and a fixed time you want-- then maybe the book ahead should be considered?

I would book it now, there shouldn't be any charge because it's a la carte, then when you arrive, just hand over your slip to the hostess.

Yes. A la carte gets rid of one of the biggest problems with the platinum meal, as you can now book Le Bistro and La Cucuna without making payment.

Thank you all, that is what I just did. Boy those restaurants are really filling up! I had to nab Wednesday at 9PM, everything else on days I had open ( only 3, I had purchased the 4 day SDP and I'm glad I already booked those!) was full up. I'm sailing solo and I had to take a table for two, but that's OK, maybe I'll get lucky!;)

Only a small portion of restaurant tables are available for pre-booking. If one books right after getting onboard, there probably won't be any troubles getting the times one wants.

But good that OP got things in order already. :)

Only a small portion of restaurant tables are available for pre-booking. If one books right after getting onboard, there probably won't be any troubles getting the times one wants.

But good that OP got things in order already. :)

I don't think that is true anymore. I had a very different experience where day 1 the Concierge couldn't get me anything other than 6:30 or 9:00 for the whole week. Another cruiser who was in the DOS last week on Escape also reported the same thing.

OP, I'm glad you got your bookings :)

I don't think that is true anymore. I had a very different experience where day 1 the Concierge couldn't get me anything other than 6:30 or 9:00 for the whole week. Another cruiser who was in the DOS last week on Escape also reported the same thing.

Thank you, me too. This may be just a temporary issue on the Escape. I was on the Getaway in November and I NEVER made a reservation, and I got in any restaurant I wanted. But now that I think of it, that cruise was NOT sold out. It was the 12 day itinerary, and was mostly couples and singles. There were very few children on board, or family groups. Well, all I know is that cruise critic warns you about these kind of changes and fore warned is fore armed!:)

I don't know how a la carte will be affected, but I prebooked Le Bistro for the Getaway using my credit card before the sailing. When the hostess was presented with our Platinum dining certificate, she mentioned that she saw it was booked with the card. She said I would get credit. The next day on our account, I received a full OBC to my account for the previous charge. No hassle.

You can book 100 days out in Suites and 90 days out otherwise.

My March 2015 trip was my 24th cruise on NCL and the first one ever that I couldn't just go to a restaurant and either walk in, or be told to come back in half an hour. The whole point of Freestyle to me is eating what I feel like eating when I feel like eating it, or at least in a consensus of my travel mates. I don't know 100 days out what I want to eat or when. Now since March, having to make reservations ahead of time is a reality that I'm not very happy about, but I do it to avoid eating in the MDR every night.

We are in a Suite and also have UDP. We are planning on having our butler serve us dinner from Cagney's , at least a few times on our cruise. Do I need to maker reservations ahead of time with the restaurant ??

Yes. As you see in this thread, restaurants fill up fast,,, especially Cagneys.

I'd wait until you are on board, rather than trying to get refunds. I've not had problems with NCL platinum dinners, and being a little flexible. IF there is only one day and a fixed time you want-- then maybe the book ahead should be considered?

There are no refunds since there is nothing charged in advance. All restaurants are a la carte (vs. the old pay a fixed price for your specialty meal). Now you pay for every item you order. And the platinum meal is more restrictive.

Even though the restaurants are ala carte there may be a charge. I am platinum but purchased a 3 day spec. dining pkg. The first 3 reservations showed up as no charge. Thought I would go ahead and book our platinum also but even though they said 0.00 for the cost when I clicked on it to reserve there was a cost. Looked like it was just charging me what a 4th day on the meal plan would be. Figured I'd just wait then rather than complicate things with a credit. Just got off the Escape and had no trouble booking onboard.

I'm so surprised by this, Sally. We didn't have any reservations on the Escape, and I don't remember a single instance of not being able to go when I wanted. In fact we met up with friends for 1 dinner, and they had a 9 p.m. reservation. Adrian asked when I wanted to go....I said 7:30, he said 'done'. And it was. And it was good. :cool:

We are in a Suite and also have UDP. We are planning on having our butler serve us dinner from Cagney's , at least a few times on our cruise.

Do I need to maker reservations ahead of time with the restaurant ??

NO, the reservations are for tables & seats & servers in the restaurant, not the space 1 extra steak takes on the grill. You'll be fine.

Stephen

Even though the restaurants are ala carte there may be a charge. I am platinum but purchased a 3 day spec. dining pkg. The first 3 reservations showed up as no charge. Thought I would go ahead and book our platinum also but even though they said 0.00 for the cost when I clicked on it to reserve there was a cost. Looked like it was just charging me what a 4th day on the meal plan would be. Figured I'd just wait then rather than complicate things with a credit. Just got off the Escape and had no trouble booking onboard.

There was a post last week that on Escape they allowed platinums to use their voucher at other venues, not just Le Bistro and La Cucina. Can you tell us the latest please given you were on the same sailing? Did they change the wording on the back of the voucher? Thanks!

I'm so surprised by this, Sally. We didn't have any reservations on the Escape, and I don't remember a single instance of not being able to go when I wanted. In fact we met up with friends for 1 dinner, and they had a 9 p.m. reservation. Adrian asked when I wanted to go....I said 7:30, he said 'done'. And it was. And it was good. :cool:

NO, the reservations are for tables & seats & servers in the restaurant, not the space 1 extra steak takes on the grill. You'll be fine.

Stephen

I think it's because it wasn't at capacity, Stephen. We were able to change around our reservations on Escape as well, though Judy had prebooked since we'd had this problem before.

If the ship is sailing full, it's a different story. Assuming Adrian is still on the Escape, he wasn't able to get the folks in the DOS into anything other than super early or super late.

Edited by SuiteCruiser