Cruising with a selfie stick

Revdoll

Has anyone seen a phone fall of a selfie stick? They look kind of flimsy, would hate to have my phone fall off and go overboard. [emoji55]

Yes we did on our Nov Victory cruise. Teen girl held it out over the side of the ship and it fell off.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

We are leaving on our next cruise on Jan 7th. On previous cruises I have seen people using selfie sticks on board. I've seen some pictures people have taken with selfie sticks and the pictures seem to turn out nice.

I've been thinking of maybe getting one for this upcoming cruise. But I've notice that some places like amusement parks and sports events have a ban against them. The articles I've read never really give a clear reason why they ban them.

Also, I've heard some people make negative comments about people who use selfie sticks. Not sure why some people have negative views on selfie sticks. Does Carnival ban selfie sticks?

Would you want people walking around the ship with a broom stick with a small weight attached to the end up in the air? That is a selfie stick in a nutshell.

Too many people who use them are not cognizant of the risk that they cause with these things and that is what is wrong with them.

I think they should be band. I been hit twice in the head by them and both times the people looked at me like it was my fault. No apology from them either. That they shouldn't be used in doors or in crowded ares such as when getting of the ship stopping the line to take a selfie, have had them over my head while they take a selfie in line.

That's when you take it and break it over your knee or call the police and have them arrested for battery.

The reason people have problems with selfie sticks is because they are essentially a long pole that people walk around with that can be swung at a moments notice. (Imagine someone walking around holding a golf club out).

Far too many people have them sticking out while walking (or running) and swing them into other people. I work with the public and have seen far too many overly excited teenagers bash someone else with one while trying to document their trip with their overly caffeinated friends. Thus the ban in many crowded places.

That being said, if you pay attentions to your surroundings and act like an intelligent adult, they can be useful and are usually pretty inexpensive.

I know at Walt Disney World and their associated parks, they're banned because people were causing the rides/attractions to be potentially unsafe with these darn things sticking out all over the place.

The only time I've ever actually seen one in action was last summer when a kid nearly whacked me in the face with his camera because he wasn't paying attention to where he was swinging his selfie stick.

That's when you take it and break it over your knee or call the police and have them arrested for battery.

LOL the cruise police? For an accident? Man, if I pressed charges for every time my feet have been run over....

That being said, people are idiots with them. I work at Universal and people were trying to use them on rides,especially the gopro. Great, except when they fall off and whack the person behind you or fall into the gears. Thats why they have metal detectors now bc people refuse to empty their pockets voluntarily.

While I love the occasional picture of my family together, when I travel I want pictures of what I am seeing more than myself. Sad to say, but I think it is all about the me generation that feels the need to be the center of everything.

Personally I enjoy offering to take a picture of a couple or group, and appreciate when someone does it for us. It is called being kind.

While I love the occasional picture of my family together, when I travel I want pictures of what I am seeing more than myself. Sad to say, but I think it is all about the me generation that feels the need to be the center of everything.

Personally I enjoy offering to take a picture of a couple or group, and appreciate when someone does it for us. It is called being kind.

good post!!:)

Bought one and have only used it a handful of times across multiple trips; just to get a family photo with a scenic background. used it one time last trip. never walk around with it sticking out. don't film shows or other stuff with it. If you use it sparingly and aware of your surroundings (not a crowded area) it's fine. The problem seems to be most people do walk around swinging like an angry golfer.

I like to go on YouTube and search for videos of cruise ships or places that I'm interested in. Seems like more and more, what I get are videos of people with a selfie stick aimed at them the entire time while walking around these places. [emoji36]

To those of you who do this: Your videos are annoying. The only person enjoying them is you (even your best friend and family members are probably not enjoying them either). If you still feel the need to post a video of you walking around, at least give it the correct title. Don't name it "Eastern Caribbean cruise aboard the Carnival Valor", name it "Video of me using a selfie stick". That would be greatly appreciated and save me some time when conducting a YouTube search. Thank you! 🤗

Exactly!!! I always offer to take a picture for someone that I see who is trying to take a selfie or taking a picture of their family and they aren't in the photo!! It's exactly what it is...being kind!!

Not to my knowledge. I've brought my GoPro with a "selfie stick" on multiple cruises with no comments made.

What selfie stick do you use with your GoPro? Purchased a GoPro for my husband as a Christmas gift and am looking for selfie stick options.

Thanks.

Agree 100%

I like to go on YouTube and search for videos of cruise ships or places that I'm interested in. Seems like more and more, what I get are videos of people with a selfie stick aimed at them the entire time while walking around these places. [emoji36]

To those of you who do this: Your videos are annoying. The only person enjoying them is you (even your best friend and family members are probably not enjoying them either). If you still feel the need to post a video of you walking around, at least give it the correct title. Don't name it "Eastern Caribbean cruise aboard the Carnival Valor", name it "Video of me using a selfie stick". That would be greatly appreciated and save me some time when conducting a YouTube search. Thank you! 🤗

Wish there were like buttons on here!

I guess with Youtube it's a double edge sword kind of thing. I love going on there to watch videos and I know I can watch pretty much any thing at any attraction in the world, i.e. Fireworks from Disneyworld. I don't feel the need to "capture the moment" myself and just enjoy living in the moment of being there in person. That being said, it's pretty annoying trying to watch a show with 100's of cell phones, cameras, tablets, sticks, etc. up in the air. So I guess it's a pick your poison thing.

Eh, bring it if you want it. I just got back two days ago from a cruise. I saw some people with them. I have never seen the obnoxious behavior that people here are talking about and assume they are talking about that one video they saw that one time that showed someone walking off a pier with them or something. People aren't making video diaries with them! You stop and take a pic!

I heard the same thing about the walkie talkies. They are so rude, so awful, ruin a cruise, etc. We brought ours and we loved them and everyone who commented on them said they loved them.

It's your vacation. Do what you want and bring what you want. Don't let the haters try to stifle you :)

Seems like most have a favorable view as long as people use common sense. Think I'll go ahead and bring one. Even though my older teens are bagging me not to bring one. They said they would be embarrassed if I brought one. All I can say is payback is sweet. I'll just remind them of all the times they embarrassed us over the years.

Be an annoyance and to heck with manners!

So, someone with a selfie stick is automatically an annoyance and has no manners? It's only an annoyance because you allow it be and yep, having a selfie stick automatically puts them in the "no manners" category too. :rolleyes:

I am leaving on a Disney cruise soon with my 2 daughters and 2 grandkids, and I just got a selfie stick. I am very aware of the things I do, and how it might affect others. I will not be using it in crowded public places, and I will be selective where I do use it. Most of my pictures are with a regular camera anyway.

As others have said, if you respect other peoples personal space, I don't think they are a problem.

Edited by crzndeb