PORTS w/ HAL Shuttle service

ljones

Although I am enroute to S America - I would be interested in information for any cities Worldwide where HAL has Shuttle service:

what city, where does HAL take you (to the city / downtown; just outside the port...), what is there once you arrive, is there a cost...etc.

Thanks much.

You want the worldwide list? Seriously?

In Europe, where there are shuttles, they are frequently put on by the local port, city or other government entity, because many of the ports in Europe are industrial ports. Some have fees (like Livorno) some don't (like Rome's port).

The only one I know of specifically put on by HAL is Dublin, and it is free, although other cruise lines charge for it.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Although I am enroute to S America - I would be interested in information for any cities Worldwide where HAL has Shuttle service:

what city, where does HAL take you (to the city / downtown; just outside the port...), what is there once you arrive, is there a cost...etc.

Thanks much.

Anywhere in the world where HAL stops including all the extra information that you want. To me, that is asking a bit much. How many different ports does HAL stop at? I doubt that you really need all that information.

I would suggest narrowing your request to just a few cities and maybe you will get an answer. Also, try posting your question in 1 or 2 location boards

DON

Typically when there is a charge it's about $5/p/direction.

If anyone had such a "worldwide" list handy, it could well be outdated by the time you get there! As you are approaching each port HAL will tell you what the situation is.

Edited by jtl513

Apparently I wasn't very clear...I meant for anyone with any info on any port (1 or more) Worldwide to chime in w/ their info...for the benefit of all & only as a start.

Edited by ljones

Typically when there is a charge it's about $5/p/direction.

If anyone had such a "worldwide" list handy, it could well be outdated by the time you get there! As you are approaching each port HAL will tell you what the situation is.

Agree. And this topic is covered regularly on the individual ports boards.

Apparently I wasn't very clear...I meant for anyone with any info on any port (1 or more) Worldwide to chime in w/ their info...for the benefit of all & only as a start.
10 years ago it was $3/p/direction in Helsinki and $5/p/d in Stockholm. 5 yrs ago it was $5/p/d in Venice, but that was before the People Mover was done. 2 yrs ago it was free in Barcelona for the Prinsendam but others have reported that it was not free for their ships.

All of that info is probably pretty useless now.

Often the Grand Cruises have a free shuttle in many ports but not sure if you are going on the Grand So America. HAL does not have much control over many of these shuttles which are often provided by the port so they come when they come, run as often as they run and drop you where they want to drop you. HAL usually is notified before hand - but not always with the correct info. It is all part of the adventure.

If I remember correctly, there was no free shuttle offered by HAL to go to Bankok. Taxi drivers waiting for us with a beautiful $mile. Almost fifty dollars CDN IN and then add OUT back to the ship !

Also in Greece in Piraeus > Athens Plaka or Acropolis — no free transfer and the first subway station is quite far reached from the ship.

At least a half hour walk. :(

Holacanada

Edited by holacanada

Also in Greece in Piraeus > Athens Plaka or Acropolis — no free transfer and the first subway station is quite far reached from the ship. At least a half hour walk. :(
I don't know how it works going in to Athens, but coming back out our subway fare included a transfer for a free bus back to the ship. Edited by jtl513

Vancouver is pretty easy to get around from the cruise terminal at Canada Place. Frankly, I don't see the need for shuttle service if you're going from the airport to the terminal, or vice versa.

If you fly into Vancouver, hop on the Skytrain. You can buy your tickets at the station (Including a $5 airport improvement fee) good for only 1 1/2 hours, or you can buy a daypass from the 7-11 at the airport for ~$9 for the entire day. (Was $8.50 last time I was there but prices may vary) Take the Canada Line to the waterfront, take a little trek through the station to the terminus for the Millennium and Expo Lines, walk the length of the platform to the alternate exit and you're at Canada Place.

If you're at Canada Place, you are effectively downtown but if you want to take rapid transit elsewhere, there is an escalator down to the Millennium Line/Expo line which will take you wherever in the GVA you would like, and if it doesn't go where you want, buses probably will

Edited by Aegis1984

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe, technically, that HAL doesn't operate any shuttles at all. When they offer a shuttle service, they contract shuttle operators in what ever port is involved. These contracts could change at anytime.

:) I'll jump in here and state that a free bus shuttle is provided in the industrial port of Anchorage Alaska that takes HAL passengers to the Egan Center in downtown Anchorage. Don't have any idea who owns the buses other than it is free and runs all day back and forth.

That is one port down probably many more to add.

I am not on a World Cruise w/ HAL - but a 34 day from Buenes Aires to San Diego. Also this is only my 2nd HAL cruise but I do recall that Celebrity also had a free shuttle in Barcelona & in Singapore their was a shuttle to the city bus hub, I think (?) & in some cities a store will offer a shuttle to their store (Hong Kong). Often you only hear about these by word of mouth - probably because they are not run by the cruiseline.

In my experience, when there is a shuttle it usually (Always??) has been run by either the local Port folks, the town/city itself, or some merchant, which takes you to their store, but then you can walk to others, take a bus or taxi, or just shop at the store and return to the ship.

When the Port sponsors the shuttle it is usually because they do not allow folks to walk in the port or it is a long way to the exit gate. In these cases, in my experience,the Port bus only goes to the port building or port exit gate. Then you are on your own, usually with a bus stop or train station nearby. Port buses and store buses have frequently been free, while ones supplied by the town/city may have a fee or be free.

In some of my experiences, we do not know about the shuttle availability until we actually arrive in the port, then it is announced when we are told the ship has been cleared and we can get off. Other times we have known ahead.

Must go now, but either tonight or tomorrow I will list a few ports I remember our most recent cruise experiences, BUT THIS CAN CHANGE FROM CRUISE TO CRUISE!!

In my experience, when there is a shuttle it usually (Always??) has been run by either the local Port folks, the town/city itself, or some merchant, which takes you to their store, but then you can walk to others, take a bus or taxi, or just shop at the store and return to the ship.

When the Port sponsors the shuttle it is usually because they do not allow folks to walk in the port or it is a long way to the exit gate. In these cases, in my experience,the Port bus only goes to the port building or port exit gate. Then you are on your own, usually with a bus stop or train station nearby. Port buses and store buses have frequently been free, while ones supplied by the town/city may have a fee or be free.

In some of my experiences, we do not know about the shuttle availability until we actually arrive in the port, then it is announced when we are told the ship has been cleared and we can get off. Other times we have known ahead.

Must go now, but either tonight or tomorrow I will list a few ports I remember our most recent cruise experiences, BUT THIS CAN CHANGE FROM CRUISE TO CRUISE!!

Note - sorry some folks gave you grief, but your request was not very clear and sounded very expansive.

After you embark, go to the shore excursion desk. Ask them about shuttles in the port in question. They should know about any shuttles or other transportation in that port. They do more than book you on excursions, they can give you all sorts of tips about each port on the itinerary.

Thanks all for the info. I also appreciate that information is fluid - same for recommendations for tour guides - but knowing that shuttle service has been offered is a starting point & may give some indication of the port area & how far or close it is to other transportation.

This link has various cruise port cities & lists transportation options. Under "On Your Own" for Ketchikan , AK it lists a free downtown shuttle that stops @ cruise ship bearths:

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/portlist.html

Edited by ljones

We used a shuttle provided free of charge in Sorrento that took us up the Cliffside. We were on a HAL tour which used the shuttles up into town, then we could shop after our tour and take any of the shuttles back to the tender port. There might have been a fee for those not on ship tours.

We were in Venice recently, both ends of a HAL cruise, and no shuttle was offered. Other lines we've used offered a boat connection to St Mark's for $15 r/t.

We have paid $8pp r/t for the shuttle in Barcelona but not sure if it was HAL.

Have used shuttles in SA at almost every port, nearly all industrial ports, most were absorbed by the cruise line, Carnival (a one-off "round the horn" repositioning cruise).

HAL and others had a "free" shuttle in Mazatlan Mexico but that was a long time back when the ships were stopping there.

m--

Thanks all for the info. I also appreciate that information is fluid - same for recommendations for tour guides - but knowing that shuttle service has been offered is a starting point & may give some indication of the port area & how far or close it is to other transportation.

This link has various cruise port cities & lists transportation options. Under "On Your Own" for Ketchikan , AK it lists a free downtown shuttle that stops @ cruise ship bearths:

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/portlist.html

Ketchikan isn't that big, but from my experience, yes there is a shuttle that goes around the town done up in First Nations (Native American for those south of the 49th) artwork. It takes you to anywhere you would want to see.

I've been on a few that had free shuttle provided by the local port but for whatever reason either Holland didn't know about it or decided not to tell anyone...no doubt a free shuttle into town advertised in advance could/would hurt their shore excursion sales.

Sure would be nice to know in advance so one could plan accordingly.....

A free shuttle was provided by the port authority in Marseille, south of France.

I'd also find it useful to know if there are any ports (particularly in South America and Mexico), that you can walk out of the port to the town centre.

Places like Aruba and Palermo in Sicily that is the case.