Gibraltar excursion 12 May 2016

If you join our Roll Call for May 9 on the Koningsdam, you will see the planned excursions. There are two tours set up for Gibraltar.

Hi Galley Slave

Thanks for the reply. I am really new at this! How do I join your Roll Call?

Mark?

You are wasting money doing any organised tour in Gibraltar. All are so simple on your own - and allow much more time to see places of interest.

Hello campolady,

I gather the sights are not within walking distance. What transportation do you advise between sights?

Mark?

Group tours should only be discussed on the roll call for your cruise.

Keith

Hello Keith,

I'm really new to CC. I learned that rule after making the mistake. Will try to steer this thread into roll call.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I see you've found your way to your RollCall. :)

Ship's upper Rock tours will be very similar to independent tours, but at higher prices.

You can either join a group on your RollCall or simply go to the taxi/van rank at the pier & be thrown in with whoever. Cost this year was £22 or €25 per person (I don't know whether USD are accepted)

You might have to pay a little more for a pre-arranged RollCall group - certainly worth a little more for the peace of mind that it's all fixed up. Might also be a little more extensive than a standard upper Rock tour, which is broadly.................

Pier to Jewish monument, a short distance up the Rock at the southern end. Just for a photostop, on a reasonably clear day a good view across to north Africa.

Up the Rock to St Michael's Cave for a stop of about 20 minutes. Plenty enough for the quite small but interesting cave, or if caves aren't your thing wait outside & take in the great westerly view across the Bay of Algeciras.

Continue, now a one-way system on the narrow road, to the Apes Den up on the ridge. Vaguely about a 15 minute stop, depending how busy (if there's a line of vans you walk to the front to see the apes & the Atlantic & Med views & eventually your van gets to the front). Feeding is now discouraged but drivers usually bring suitable food (please don't feed them crisps etc). Hang on tight to hats, cameras, bags, etc cos they're a thieving bunch.

Continue to the Great Siege tunnel & galleries for a stop of about 20 minutes. Only the one tunnel but very interesting, with galleries. Great northerly views down onto the airport & across the border to Spain.

Finally drive back down past the WW2 tunnels entrance & the Moorish castle. Driver will take you back to the ship if you wish, but most folk bale out in town at Casemates Square for a beer & to wander the shops & minor sights of Main Street before making their own way back to the ship (20 minute walk on level ground).

All admissions included in the price, probably will be on a RollCall trip too.

WW2 tunnels not included - if you have the time & the desire, pay the driver off & get him to drop you at the entrance. Afterwards make your own way down to the town by foot or bus.

A RollCall tour might also include a drive out to the most southerly point, Europa Point lighthouse, or even a circular tour of the Rock at sea level.

It's also possible to go up the Rock by cablecar, but the bottom station is a 40 minute walk or a taxi ride. There are long lines at busy times, and theres no service if its a bit windy. Takes you to the highest point. From there it's a five minute walk to the Apes Den, mebbe 15 mins to St M's Cave in one direction, and a 20/25 (?) min walk to the Great Siege tunnel in the opposite direction. From the Siege Tunnel it's probably easier to walk down to the town than back to the cablecar.

Or there are folk happy to walk up or down or both ways.

That doesn't include me :eek:

As per Campolady's post, sights in town are compact & very walkable.

But going up the Rock is a different matter.;)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

How far is the dock from major sites.

It's about a 20 minute walk from ship to Casemates Square, at the bottom (north) end of Main Street.

Most town sights are on Main Street, through to the little Trafalgar Cemetery at the top (south) end. I guess Main Street is 15/20 minutes end-to-end if you don't dally - which you probably will ;)

The bottom station of the cablecar is in the carpark just beyond the Trafalgar Cemetery.

The Alameda botanical gardens are just beyond that cablecar station if you have the time.

All very easy walking, level & paved.

But the town's sights aren't significant, it's mainly shops, pubs, cafes etc.

Gib is all about going up the Rock, either by taxi / van or cablecar.

You can either join a group on your RollCall or simply go to the taxi/van rank at the pier & be thrown in with whoever. Cost this year was £22 or €25 per person (I don't know whether USD are accepted)

You might have to pay a little more for a pre-arranged RollCall group - certainly worth a little more for the peace of mind that it's all fixed up. Might also be a little more extensive than a standard upper Rock tour, which is broadly.................

Pier to Jewish monument, a short distance up the Rock at the southern end. Just for a photostop, on a reasonably clear day a good view across to north Africa.

Up the Rock to St Michael's Cave for a stop of about 20 minutes. Plenty enough for the quite small but interesting cave, or if caves aren't your thing wait outside & take in the great westerly view across the Bay of Algeciras.

Continue, now a one-way system on the narrow road, to the Apes Den up on the ridge. Vaguely about a 15 minute stop, depending how busy (if there's a line of vans you walk to the front to see the apes & the Atlantic & Med views & eventually your van gets to the front). Feeding is now discouraged but drivers usually bring suitable food (please don't feed them crisps etc). Hang on tight to hats, cameras, bags, etc cos they're a thieving bunch.

Continue to the Great Siege tunnel & galleries for a stop of about 20 minutes. Only the one tunnel but very interesting, with galleries. Great northerly views down onto the airport & across the border to Spain.

Finally drive back down past the WW2 tunnels entrance & the Moorish castle. Driver will take you back to the ship if you wish, but most folk bale out in town at Casemates Square for a beer & to wander the shops & minor sights of Main Street before making their own way back to the ship (20 minute walk on level ground).

All admissions included in the price, probably will be on a RollCall trip too.

Are you saying that admissions are included in the taxi tours or only with the prebooked tour companies.

Are you saying that admissions are included in the taxi tours or only with the prebooked tour companies.

Definitely included with taxi / van tours hired at the pier (or in town, or at the Spanish frontier). The only reason to put your hand in your pocket would be a tip for the driver (€5 per couple would be plenty)

Usually the same applies to pre-booked tours.

That covers general admission to the upper Rock (a nature reserve), plus St Michael's cave, plus the Great Siege tunnels, though I think those fees involved are footling. There's no charge at the apes den.

BTW, the RollCall tour mentioned by Galley Slave costs significantly more, but includes a circumnavigation at sea level.

It's about a 20 minute walk from ship to Casemates Square, at the bottom (north) end of Main Street.

Most town sights are on Main Street, through to the little Trafalgar Cemetery at the top (south) end. I guess Main Street is 15/20 minutes end-to-end if you don't dally - which you probably will ;)

The bottom station of the cablecar is in the carpark just beyond the Trafalgar Cemetery.

The Alameda botanical gardens are just beyond that cablecar station if you have the time.

All very easy walking, level & paved.

But the town's sights aren't significant, it's mainly shops, pubs, cafes etc.

Gib is all about going up the Rock, either by taxi / van or cablecar.

Thanks JB. From your post it sounds like the cable car station to the rock is walking distance.

MK

Thanks JB. From your post it sounds like the cable car station to the rock is walking distance.

MK

Yes, about 35 to 40 minutes from the ship to the cablecar.

But depending on the time of year, if you're going to walk you need to make an early start to get there before the hordes that come in daily by coach from the Spanish resorts. There by 9.30 should be OK, after 11 the line is usually long.

If your ship is only there for the afternoon, consider a van tour rather than risk a possible long line for the cablecar.

Edited by John Bull

Definitely included with taxi / van tours hired at the pier (or in town, or at the Spanish frontier). The only reason to put your hand in your pocket would be a tip for the driver (€5 per couple would be plenty)

Usually the same applies to pre-booked tours.

That covers general admission to the upper Rock (a nature reserve), plus St Michael's cave, plus the Great Siege tunnels, though I think those fees involved are footling. There's no charge at the apes den.

BTW, the RollCall tour mentioned by Galley Slave costs significantly more, but includes a circumnavigation at sea level.

Thanks for the info

Yes, about 35 to 40 minutes from the ship to the cablecar.

But depending on the time of year, if you're going to walk you need to make an early start to get there before the hordes that come in daily by coach from the Spanish resorts. There by 9.30 should be OK, after 11 the line is usually long.

If your ship is only there for the afternoon, consider a van tour rather than risk a possible long line for the cablecar.

Ship is there from 8am to 11pm (at least that's what the itinerary says). Any advantage or disadvantage on time of day to go to the rock.

Ship is there from 8am to 11pm (at least that's what the itinerary says). Any advantage or disadvantage on time of day to go to the rock.

Going up the Rock is the one thing during your time in Gib when your plans can get screwed up due to lines / availability. And you're in competition with trippers arriving by coach.

I'd suggest the earlier the better to avoid crowds, altho the upper Rock - or certainly the cablecar, St M's cave etc - won't be open til 9.30.

So on the pier by about 8.45 if you're walking to the cablecar, something after 9am for vans, taxis, or shopping.

That then gives you the rest of the day (very generous ship's timing :)) for whatever else you want to do.

For instance, if you want to see the WW2 tunnels, you can get dropped off a Rock van tour at the entrance on your way back down the Rock.

Or use the cablecar & spend more time on the Rock.

Then meander the Main Street shops & sights.

Daytime eateries in Gib aren't too good, OK for drinks & snacks but it's all tourist fayre. Best bet is a proper fish-n-chip takeaway shop, or eat in a pub like the Angry Friar.

Or an early or buffet dinner on the ship & mebbe back to a town pub for a bevvy or two.

Sorry, I've got no idea what Gib is like in the evenings - might be buzzing, might be dead. Perhaps others have experience.

DW is starting to think out of the box. She saw it was a three hour drive to Cordoba. We will go to Granada from Malaga and thinks that with a 15 hour timeframe we can go back to Spain. Not sure I am on board with this.

Yes, it's a 3 hour drive from Gib., 170 + miles each way.

I don't know whether you can rent a car in Gib, or if you can, whether you can take it into Spain.

But you'd be very very very strongly advised not to, because you can spend literally hours in a long long line to cross the Gib / Spain border.

Instead you need to take a bus to the border (frequent service, only 2 euros / 10 minutes), cross the border on foot (that's pretty quick & painless) & pick up a pre-booked rental car on the Spanish side in La Linea. Easy enough, but don't expect to be driving off in the rental car less than an hour after you step off the ship, and another hour or so for the return to the ship.

You also need to know how late you can return the car - most depots close around 5pm - 6pm. That would give you no more than a couple of hours in Cordoba.

It does seem a shame to waste such a long time in Gib, it can be seen in a half-day and pretty comprehensively seen in a full day.

But it's unique, and if you've not been there before it'd be a shame to only see it in your rear-view mirror.

Folk who've been to Gib before would give their eyeteeth to have such a long time in port so that they could cross the border, rent a car, & see a bit of Spain. But I think they'd opt for somewhere like Tarifa or Marbella, or mebbe as far as Ronda rather than a long long haul to Cordoba.

If you want to make fullest use of your time, off the ship at 8.30, rent a car in La Linea 9.30, a leisurely one hour drive to the walled Moorish port of Tarifa, up to 3 hours there, drive back to La Linea, pick up an upper Rock tour at the border crossing around 3.30 to 4pm (might be more expensive if there are no sharers there at that time of day) & get dropped back at the ship - or at Casemates Square if you're still full of beans.

(the last venue on the Rock tour, the Great Siege Tunnel, closes 6.15 - 6.30 according to the internet)

To cross the border into Spain you need your passports as well as driving licence.

IMHO the only way to see Cordoba would be a two-day car rental & overnight hotel, Malaga to Granada to Cordoba / hotel to La Linea/Gib (or vice-versa).

But unless there's some serious overriding reason for Cordoba it really doesn't make a lot of sense.

Just MHO as always

I agree JB. I think I have talked her out of this Cordoba trip. Might just be a relaxing day in Gib. DW was in southern Spain last year and missed Gib (although went to both Cordoba and Granada). I've never been close. Thanks for the insight.

MSK

From a van tour picked up near the pier how does seeing the WW2 tunnels work? Dropped off at the tunnels then walk back down and to ship? Pay extra for the van to wait? We would have six in the van and all do the same schedule. How much of a walk?

Thanks, Sightcrr

• 2 weeks later...
From a van tour picked up near the pier how does seeing the WW2 tunnels work? Dropped off at the tunnels then walk back down and to ship? Pay extra for the van to wait? We would have six in the van and all do the same schedule. How much of a walk?

Thanks, Sightcrr

When I did that tour it lasted an hour. I think it is now nearer 40 minutes but that's still fine. From memory it is about a 10-15 minute walk down to sea level from the WWII tunnels and then about 10-15 more to walk through main street to the Casemates Square area. If you can do the walk I would, as having a van wait for 40-50 minutes could be expensive. This is what that tour looks like - very interesting if not as atmospheric as the GSTs. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]QpBAu6E7vEA[/YOUTUBE]