Request for Info on AUS/NZ cruise and Fjordland National Park

crooser888

The cruise included all three sounds when I took it a few years ago.

It was a picture perfect day. The weather couldn't have been better, and I spent just about the entire day sitting on a lounge chair on the promenade deck.

The rest of the cruise was also fabulous. I especially love the South Island of New Zealand, but all was good.

Hullo crooser. We have sailed through the Sounds twice. Both in Jan/Feb. The first time it was like glass and just so beautiful. This year, freezing cold, raining, very low cloud and yet so beautiful and amazing, with waterfalls cascading from the high places.

I would sail through there anytime, any weather. A bonus is if you have Captain Bos. He knows and loves NZ and will find wildlife almost everywhere you sail, whether it be a whale or an albatross. Enjoy the Sounds, but don't forget your rain jacket.

fe

Hello everyone:

Looking at booking the Noordam from Auckland to Sydney in Feb 2016. There is scenic cruising for a day at "Fjordland National Park". Has anyone done this and does this include Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound and Dusky Sound? Thanks.

Normally yes. I was told that they say Fjordland so they can then include whichever sounds are safe that day, whereas if they name them one by one and mss one there is trouble.

We have been over to New Zealand not on a cruise, but on a adventure cruise where we did land included. We hiked the Milford sound doing the 22 miles which was awesome! We stayed in Christ Church and the weather was great! It is summer there in Feb when we went and we left mid March. The Lodge in Milford was spectacular and if you have a chance to go the waterfalls along the sound when it rains is beyond beautiful.

So if you have a chance to at least take a wonderful scenic cruise up and down the sound do!!! It is considered by many as one of the wonders of the world. Our adventure hike took us 3 days and we stayed in beautiful lodges along the way!

A once in a lifetime for us!

Denise:)

Yes, all three sounds will be done...but, don't wish for great weather...they will be more beautiful if it's a bit rainy! When we were there the weather was perfect so very few waterfalls. People who had done it before said when it rains it's the most beautiful. No matter what, you'll love it. And...don't worry...you'll want to be all over the ship to see things. A balcony limits you.

Thank you for the information. I am looking forward to this on a cruise coming up. I wish I could afford a balcony but I will find a good spot to view the beauty.

4boysnana

You will love it!

We would be in the Crow's Nest or go to the Bow if it is open for you! We have not been on The Nordamn so I am not familiar maybe Ruth might chime back in to give info! She has been on all of the fleet so far! Very knowledgeable!

Denise:)

We did this a couple of years ago in reverse. We made it to the first two sounds but not the third as the winds had really picked up. The captain said if we did it, we wouldn't get out. He needed to to get around the southern part of the south island since the winds were coming from the South Pole. The winds were from rocking the ship front to back as well as side to side. Once we rounded the tip of NZ, they did calm down.

Hullo again! In January this year on the Oosterdam, a group of Maori men and women were aboard and they were wonderful. They had language classes and Haka classes, poi classes and how to make flax fish classes etc etc. We went to a concert one night and enjoyed it very much. They were always singing around the ship, in the pool, wherever.

I have mentioned the low clouds and awe-inspiring beauty of the morning we entered Milford Sound.

The most amazing moment coming into the Sounds. The Maori people walked across the aft deck chanting, singing and blowing conch shells as a greeting to the local gods. I hope this happens on your voyage because it still gives me shivers thinking about it. Just beautiful.

fe