Diamond princess Japanese bath question

willtup5

When we were in in Oct/Nov the chlorine nearly knocked you out.

But I guess it may depend on who is looking after it all, as some days the pool on deck was overpowering some mornings too.

Yuck! :eek:

I think I'd be quite grateful for a heavy dose of germ-killing chlorine if people have been floating around in the buff...

No different to floating around in a swimsuit. The water gets under the swimsuit ;)

In Japanese baths you wash thoroughly before entering the water, with soap, and rinse well. Not the token 2 seconds under the shower, if that, at other pools. You should be clean before entering the bath. I've been to a few onsen in Japan and I don't recall them being chlorinated at all.

• 6 years later...

I've also been to Onsen in Japan

I was under the impression they were filled with hot

spring water

You definitely needed to wash before getting in!

This could include washing your hair as well!

Only then would you get into the water to relax

Everyone was nude as it was a bath tub ,not a swimming pool

Originally they were all coed but now there are often separate times for men and women

It will be interesting to see how this is translated into this Izumi bath on the ship

Izumi bath has separate times for men and women.  You shower before getting in to huge heated pool naked.  Fantastic view through large clear windows.  After the hot pool there are scented showers and a special outdoor area with another hot tub,  bathers required in the outside area. Lol

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Are there any restrictions on tattoos? I know most onsen are still very traditional about their attitude to them but the sento are often more accepting.

we're book on a Japanese itinerary if that changes the rules.

Edited by jnprsn

2 hours ago, jnprsn said:

Are there any restrictions on tattoos? I know most onsen are still very traditional about their attitude to them but the sento are often more accepting.

we're book on a Japanese itinerary if that changes the rules.

There were no restrictions on tattoos in the Izumi Bathhouse when we were last on Diamond in 2017. I'd be very surprised if that has changed.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, princesscruise2020 said:

Hi,

Does anyone know the price of the Izumi Japanese Bath on Diamond Princess now in 2023?  We are sailing on Oct 7th, 2023.  

Thanks.

Here’s what the prices were on the Diamond when we were on it in July. My Live From thread is in my below expanded signature area.

IMG_3155.thumb.jpeg.2237188733124458c7a3a423cf2e488d.jpeg

Japanese baths, both public and private, are much cleaner, because they wash before getting into the water. So in my house in Japan, I had a deep, wonderful, heated rub, and a hose outside the tub to wash first. The reason, as in public baths, is that Japanese families have traditionally shared a bath, and kept the water in the tub to be reheated later, so there's a strong incentive to go into a bath clean. The same goes for why there are public squat toilets, so you're not sitting on a dirty toilet seat. They also had warm-water bidets long before many Americans finally realized during the Great TP Panic of 2020 that bidets are more hygienic and pleasant to use.