Do you exercise on a cruise?

TriGirl

Do work out daily for about 20 minutes, while the wife does the thread mill for about 30 minutes on board. Work out at the local fitness center three times a week. The gym on board is very important. Need to burn some of the calories.:)

The gym is important to us, as well......and we fit into the 'middle-ager' crowd. :)

Last generation, it seemed that not that many 50+ year olds worked out regularly, but that is no longer the case. (Sure, some did but many did not get regular exercise from one year to the next.)

We use the treadmills and bikes in the gym...sometimes stairstepper.

We love exercise walking on Promenade Deck and try to do about 2 miles a day. If it is too hot, raining or whatever, we are happy knowing we have the choice to use the gym.

Do you exercise on a cruise?

You bet I do! After my heart attack last March I entered a cardiac rehab program and committed myself to exercising and eating properly (ok, I'll be honest: "more properly" than I used to). I'm up to five days/week @ 55 minutes on a treadmill per session at home.

Last summer on the 35-day'er I made it to the gym 19 days, plus had some shore excursions with extensive, rigorous walking. Funny thing is, before the rehab program I wouldn't have been able to do those shore excursions.

I'm just curious how many of you exercise while on a cruise, and if you do, do you exercise normally at home? How important are the gym facilities to you?

My normal routine is walking and lifting a few weights, so I had intentions of using the gym on board. I was on the Zuiderdam in August, and instead I walked almost 90 laps around the Promenade deck during the (7-day) cruise (that's approx. 30 miles). Usually I walked in the early morning while it was still cool, but occasionally in the afternoon, too. Watching the view was nice. I checked out the gym, and it had a lot of equipment, but I never made it there to actually work out. I also took the stairs rather than the elevator all week. That's a nice workout, too. :)

we do not utilize the gym but we do make it a point never to take an elevator any time.

we also make sure to do tons of walking while in port as well.

With our "method" we end up losing a few pounds and still manage to stuff ourselves. :D

I should work out - but due to severe knee problems - don't.

DH belongs to an athletic club and uses it 5 times a week. We have a treadmill at home which he uses on the weekends. So it is very important to him to have a good gym on the ship. He uses it every day when we aren't scheduled for a tour.

I exercise very regularly at home, usually 5 days a week, anywhere from 1 to 1 1/2 hours a day. I do cardio every day along with weight training 3 days a week. When on a cruise, I consider it my break, but not in total. I don't bother much with the gym, but will usually try to walk anywhere from 2 to 3 miles a day around the promenade deck. When weather prohibits me from walking outdoors, I will use the treadmill in the gym.

I try to do two miles twice a day on Lower Prom deck, plus I rarely take the elevators on the ship. It does help to limit the #s I gain. I take exercise classes at the YMCA four days a week at home, and miss the routine when I'm away. My muscles tell me they need their workout.

I am 69 years old.

At home I walk 3 miles each morning, seven days a week. I am a Type 2 Diabetic and this helps keep my blood sugar down.

While on a cruise I walk the Promonade deck each morning equal to 3 miles and I also very seldom use the elevators but climb the stairs.

I don't use the gym.

At home I walk an average of two miles a day. On the ship this summer I walked 4-5 miles a day on the promenade deck, which kept my diabetes under control and I didn't gain any weight. I walked 2-3 times a day, usually in the early mornings and late evenings. Being outside, as opposed to the gym, was lovely and there weren't any cars or buses to get in the way!

The question at hand is will I exercise on this next cruise:D Right now I have full intention of trying to get up to the gym for at least 4 or 5 of the 7 days cruise but.......our last cruise I also had good intentions and never did make it but we were on a very port intensive cruise with only 1 sea day. Saturday's cruise will have three sea days.:) In the past, meaning the 4 previous HAL cruise the answer is YES. I usually get up at 6:15 and head right up to the gym and do at least a 45 minute work out between treadmill, eliptical and weights on the mat.

We get to the gym every sea day, but rarely on port days unless it's a half day in port.

We tend to do fairly active things in port with the occasional day of vegging on the beach. On those days we at least walk on the beach and swim.

The only time we take the elevator is when I'm wearing heels in the evening. Sometimes I take them off and walk barefoot up the stairs back to my cabin when the evening's over. :)

Even with all of that, it never fails that we go home a few pounds heavier. :(

I like fresh air, especially fresh sea air, so I walk two or three miles a day on Promenade Deck on Vistas and Lower Prom on the others. Also, I almost always take the stairs, and try to swim "laps" in the tiny aft pool

I think the only time I went into a ship gym was to use the scale. Big mistake!

We don't use the gym, but we do a lot of walking on board. I love just walking around on deck, enjoying the ocean and just people watching. Plus many of our excursions in port tend to involve a lot of walking or swimming, so we manage to control the damage we do at meal times pretty well :)

An interesting thread. At home I use 5# weights 4 days a week.:) Due to very bad knees and feet, I can no longer walk for exercise. :( Will I need to bring my own handheld weights or are they available in the gym? We will be on the NCL Spirit Oct 29 to Nov 14.

IrisF

My cruise rule is that I have to walk at least 2 miles before I can eat anything! If the weather is bad, I will hit the treadmills - otherwise it's the jogging track.

I try to do the weights every other day. And yes, we do exercise at home.

I'm just curious how many of you exercise while on a cruise, and if you do, do you exercise normally at home? How important are the gym facilities to you?

I get lots of exercise on a cruise ... going from one meal to the other. :)

Seriously, my only exercise on a cruise is if I do any active excursions.

The gym is the last place I would visit while on a cruise. Can't say I visit much at home either. My bad. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

An interesting thread. At home I use 5# weights 4 days a week.:) Due to very bad knees and feet, I can no longer walk for exercise. :( Will I need to bring my own handheld weights or are they available in the gym? We will be on the NCL Spirit Oct 29 to Nov 14.

IrisF

They have weights in the gym.

Most of my excercising will be with my right elbow:eek: But joking aside with the 62 day cruise coming up in 2 days I will be using the gym. I am going to try and prove the last comedian wrong on our last cruise when he said you gain a pound a day:D 62 pounds and I will have to buy an extra airline seat to get home!!!!!:eek:

I'm so impressed with you all!

I havent made time for exercise on my past couple of cruises - and have never used the gym, although I always bring my gym shoes and shorts...:o

Of course, I do tons of walking - all over the ship, up and down the stairs and in port. Gaining weight isnt an issue - in fact I'd like to be heavier!

Archived