Changing Away from Celebrity & Royal Caribbean

mcrcruiser

We state our reasons with over 40 Celebrity sailings & over 20 royal Caribbean sailings

Unfortunately both Celebrity & Royal Caribbean will not deploy ships from California ports :o. That is the first problem for us .We prefer local carriers to eliminate need to fly at extra cost & inconveniences (Princess & Carnival sail from California ports)

The 2nd problem is Celebrity cruise cost structure being very high as compared to other mainline cruise lines because they now include their big Better Best into the cost of their cruises

The 3rd problem is that on board their specialty restaurants cost has escalated beyond reason

The 4th reason is that along with the cruise cost price increases the food quality & extras that were once included are gone

We have one Alaska cruise & one Eastern Canada cruise booked .Once we pass those 2 mile stones ,we are taking local cruise lines who are interested in the California customer base . :)

It was never our desire to steer away from Celebrity & RCCL cruises .We are Elite + & frankly the perks are no longer worth while both for convenience & financial reasons . :o

From 2017 forward ,we can book cruises after final payment & get deep discounts because they will be locally based cruise ports ;)

We have sailed 7 different lines trying what you are fixing to do.

Enjoy, we didn't.

Wallie just too many things changing with X . We have sailed Princess ,HAL & Carnival in addition to X & RCCL ships . We gave X & RCCL a lot of loyalty when you booked over 60 cruises with them .

Candidly ,our last experience with Carnival & Princess wasn't a huge difference to make us pay a whole lot more + flying & we can board them using a car ride. Flying is just no fun any longer :eek:

Living in the San Diego coastal area ,we have great weather & even local car trips to Northern Calif ,Palm Springs (we own a Westin time share in Palm Desert ) & Interval International has "get away" deals that are steals including Las Vegas & many in Arizona & Utah ;which we can drive . We had booked a Get Away for one week in a one bedroom off strip in Las Vegas, with every convenience for $210 complete ,no tax & no resort fees :D. Thus ,obviously ,we have a multitude of choices & we are retired .

Thus ,obviously ,we have a multitude of choices & we are retired .

I understand. Sailed RCCL in 2011 on the Freedom, 2012 on the Ruby Princess, the last 3 years on Reflection and Equinox. Our 1st X was in 1994, and boarded last month with the expectation's of just a relaxing 10 days. The Wifester said it was her best cruise in 25 years.

Los Wages creates no desire anymore, we have seen Mt Rushmore, and stood in 4 states at one time. Looked out over the wonderful sunset at Mesa Verde and climbed down into the city. Yes we understand and exercise our choices too.

Like I said, I hope you enjoy, not needing to fly would be a very nice option indeed.

EW

Edited by wallie5446

Totally understand lack of desire to fly. We live 30 min from the Fla ports and I flew cross country a few months ago for a Princess CA coastal out of SF. The SF stay and cruise were absolutely wonderful. But I can't put into words how much I HATE flying these days for so many reasons. I'd like to visit Europe, but won't go just because of the long flights. Even a TA over requires flying back.

Edited by Flafun888

Wallie just too many things changing with X . We have sailed Princess ,HAL & Carnival in addition to X & RCCL ships . We gave X & RCCL a lot of loyalty when you booked over 60 cruises with them .

Candidly ,our last experience with Carnival & Princess wasn't a huge difference to make us pay a whole lot more + flying & we can board them using a car ride. Flying is just no fun any longer :eek:

Living in the San Diego coastal area ,we have great weather & even local car trips to Northern Calif ,Palm Springs (we own a Westin time share in Palm Desert ) & Interval International has "get away" deals that are steals including Las Vegas & many in Arizona & Utah ;which we can drive . We had booked a Get Away for one week in a one bedroom off strip in Las Vegas, with every convenience for $210 complete ,no tax & no resort fees :D. Thus ,obviously ,we have a multitude of choices & we are retired .

Living in Florida, in lieu of Celebrity Cruises this year, we did road and air trips around the country, like Napa. Truthfully, had a great time and did not miss the new Celebrity. For equal or better experience we cannot say Celebrity is on top any longer.

Unfortunately both Celebrity & Royal Caribbean will not deploy ships from California ports :o. That is the first problem for us .We prefer local carriers to eliminate need to fly at extra cost & inconveniences (Princess & Carnival sail from California ports)

From 2017 forward ,we can book cruises after final payment & get deep discounts because they will be locally based cruise ports ;)

I understand your position. Flying to the East Coast and beyond can easily double the cost of a Celebrity cruise not to mention the airline hassle. We are taking a couple of Celebrity cruises in 2016 with a San Diego departure.

We decided to try Princess for the first time two weeks ago because of an LA back to LA itinerary. We actually paid a bit more for a similar stateroom and itinerary on Princess as compared to Celebrity and got less for our money. Celebrity cruises have always been "outstanding." The Princess cruise was "okay." We booked a couple more Future Cruises while on board Princess - we can always get our money back if we change our minds.

So I encourage you to give other lines a try and see what you think. And BTW my TA tells me that she has heard rumors that Celebrity is going to home base one of their older ships in Southern California within the next couple of years. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because we LOVE Celebrity.

Hi Cliff -- I think that you are echoing a lot of sentiment that's been expressed by us 'old-timers' on this board. Even with the cheap cost of oil, both the airlines and X keep raising their prices. We currently don't have anything booked, except our 2017 Mardi Gras cruise (booked with 123-GO). In the future, I will be watching the fall Pacific Coastal cruises for after-payment price drops. I know that you and your DW prefer not to fly cross-country, and you're avoiding the Caribbean -- due to the mosquito issues. If you like your Alaska cruise, you might want to wait and look for some good deals on Pacific Coastal sailings. :cool:

The 2nd problem is Celebrity cruise cost structure being very high as compared to other mainline cruise lines because they now include their big Better Best into the cost of their cruises

....We are Elite + & frankly the perks are no longer worth while both for convenience & financial reasons . :o

We are leaving tomorrow for Xmas cruise. (just packed for trip...i love waiting to the night before to pack!!).

We booked this cruise and one more next April withOUT any perks. Cheapest cruise fare I have every paid for this Xmas 7 day cruise.

I am elite plus, so figured between free Cafe al Bacio and the free drinks at elite function, we could save money without booking a "package".

Just an FYI for those that didn't know you can book some/many? sailings without using the big, better, best promotions. I didn't know you could before I contacted TA to book this Xmas cruise, and after doing the math couldn't believe how cheap the cruise was!

Over our forty+ years of cruising we have cruised on 14 different lines (and enjoyed them all). This loyalty thing to one or two lines is something we have never understood. The one certainty in the cruise industry is that lines are always changing and reinventing themselves. We change our loyalty with the wind (based on itinerary, cost, quality, variety, etc).

As to the West Coast cruise market, it has been abandoned by many lines for a multitude of reasons. Some of these reasons are home grown such as the CA environmental rules imposed on all ships (which is finally becoming the national standard), problems caused by the labor unions, logistics, and the limited number of accessible ports for a 7-10 day itinerary. It is a darn shame that Congress refuses to repeal or amend the PVSA rules (which largely prevent ships from cruising between US ports)....but you will find that the CA congressional folks have done absolutely nothing to help change those rules.

Hank

Hi Cliff -- I think that you are echoing a lot of sentiment that's been expressed by us 'old-timers' on this board. Even with the cheap cost of oil, both the airlines and X keep raising their prices. We currently don't have anything booked, except our 2017 Mardi Gras cruise (booked with 123-GO). In the future, I will be watching the fall Pacific Coastal cruises for after-payment price drops. I know that you and your DW prefer not to fly cross-country, and you're avoiding the Caribbean -- due to the mosquito issues. If you like your Alaska cruise, you might want to wait and look for some good deals on Pacific Coastal sailings. :cool:

Hi Suzanne We will keep an eye open for West coast coastal cruises ,even if they start from SF ,we can drive & add the drive sights ,to our cruise holidays .

If the OP is correct that one could book any cruise with out paying big Better Best add on & the cruise prices went down because one could do that we would reconsider X ;but ,only for Hawaii R/T from a CA port ,coastal cruise & again a CA port .Alaska cruising is always a option .:)

Talking to a neighbor who works for Princess reservations ,after final payment their Hawaii P/T cruises from LA or SF many times fall to the $1800 area for a balcony cabin :D

We just came back end of October from a 21 day cruise on HAL Noordam to Sydney Australia from SD & 7 days in Sydney .although we flew first class it was 3 airlines & 25 hour trip . Just too much flying & airports .The cruise & Sydney was very nice & enjoyed most of it except flies at outside the Opera house & The Blue mountain area & Manly beach

We have a 3 night repo on Island Princess leaving the world Cruise Center San Pedro CA to Vancouver May 8th(3 sea days ) .Then Millenium May 12th on 8 night cruise to Seward . In Sept we will be near Boston arriving Sept 18th to see US historical sites out of Burlington Mass & then a 7 night New England /Canada cruise on Serenade of the Seas ,followed by 3 days in Boston at the Westin hotel ,Copley Place to catch the HOHO bus for touring Boston historical sites . After those 2 cruises ,we will do a couple of land trips before thinking of cruises ,on any cruise line . ;)

It just looks to us now that Princess is in the cards for our future .We love Hawaii & a balcony as you know is great for that cruise after the first 2 or 3 days at sea ,especially if we can book after final payment & get that $1800 odd dollar booking ;)

Suzanne wishing you & your DH a Very Merry Christmas & A Happy ,Healthy & Prosperous New Year in 2016:D

Cliff

I just took a look at 2 cruises one on Celebrity vs Holland. Sept 2016. I booked the cruise under allin. So I got a great deal. I did the math. Celebrity with 2 perks [perks $600] $9798 -600 $9198 for 12 nights. Holland $9200 for 14 nights. So per night Celebrity $766, Holland $657. Both cruises are Amsterdam to the Mediterranean.

As to flying. I do prefer not flying in the United State. But with TSA pre check it goes a lot faster. Delta has sleeper seats in the US on some flights. I try and use them. I like flights that are at least 8 hours. Seattle has some great non stops.

We fly out pf Palm Springs Ca. airport. The only non stops are Seattle and San Francisco. Major pain to get to the east coast and Florida. We will be cruising from the West coast now as we are tired of the long journey to Europe and East coast. Will do X Pac. Coastal in May and look at 2017 for the same. I now have 6 Princess cruises because of LA departures. IMHI Princess is not near as good as X and I really do miss my Elite Plus benefits.

We fly out pf Palm Springs Ca. airport. The only non stops are Seattle and San Francisco. Major pain to get to the east coast and Florida. We will be cruising from the West coast now as we are tired of the long journey to Europe and East coast. Will do X Pac. Coastal in May and look at 2017 for the same. I now have 6 Princess cruises because of LA departures. IMHI Princess is not near as good as X and I really do miss my Elite Plus benefits.

Hi Maggie, we will be on the X Pacific Coastal with you next May. We agree with you about flying to the East Coast, although we do drive in to LAX and fly out of there, still a major hassle. We have reluctantly booked some Princess cruises because of the LA back to LA itineraries. But despite some people's complaints about X, Princess doesn't come close to the X experience and value.

We cruise for the itinerary first, Celebrity second. We will fly anywhere rather than do same old, same old ports. That's why we haven't been to the same old islands in the Caribbean for years:D Maybe when we have cleared our bucket list we will think about cruising for the sake of cruising and just relaxing on a lovely ship! Not there yet though.

We state our reasons with over 40 Celebrity sailings & over 20 royal Caribbean sailings

The 3rd problem is that on board their specialty restaurants cost has escalated beyond reason

The 4th reason is that along with the cruise cost price increases the food quality & extras that were once included are gone

We have one Alaska cruise & one Eastern Canada cruise booked .Once we pass those 2 mile stones ,we are taking local cruise lines who are interested in the California customer base . :)

It was never our desire to steer away from Celebrity & RCCL cruises .We are Elite + & frankly the perks are no longer worth while both for convenience & financial reasons . :o

I can certainly see why you have said that. We just got back from a 5 day X out of Ft lauderdale and loved it. But we sailed Aqua and we love blu. I agree with you as far as the MDR is concerned. We got drink vouchers which I threw away. They didn't offer what I drink but do on longer cruises.

Drink prices were astronomical! I can see why packages were popular.

We live in Fla and it's at least a 5 hour drive to every Port but Tampa and only 3 lines embark from there. Driving 5 hours is worse than the 5 hours it takes to fly 3 in the air to another Port. So I understand.

Sometimes change is a good thing :)