ultimate cruise packing list

Jeff&Mel

Hello all-

What packing list do you use?

I am looking for the ultimate packing list for a man/woman-

I would love to see/read about what you use.

Thanks in advance :)

Cruising in 10 days and haven't even begun to pack yet!!! :eek:

There's no such thing as the 'ultimate' packing list.

Some people pack everything but the kitchen sink. Other people feel happiest when carrying a tiny bag just the bare essentials. Neither is the 'right' one.

I lean towards taking less stuff. I plan out what I'll wear and plan to wear things more than once or use laundry or cleaning service. I wear the same jewellery every day. I take what I can't get on the ship or shore for things like makeup and medications and leave the rest st home

Think about what you absolutely must have. Plan your outfits. Don't feel that you have to take everything you own :)

You may find you have inadvertently opened a can of worms by asking for the "ultimate cruise packing list." I have seen many such lists on these very boards, and as JanineM mentioned, they commonly include everything but the sink, and some, I swear, include the sink, too! I assume that you have not cruised before, or you would probably not be inspired to ask for others' packing suggestions -- you would know what you need and want. I suggest you don't read others' cruise-packing lists -- especially those labeled as "ultimate" -- as you will believe that everything these list-makers mention is something you will need and want. Most things on most lists are absolutely unnecessary.

Cruising allows us to enjoy visiting several different places without lugging bags around, so my husband and I, at least, do travel a little "heavy" when we cruise. We ordinarily have one carry-on each and one large bag that we share. This allows us to take, for example, our snorkle gear, which we use at every possible port (we have only cruised in the Caribbean). We also very much enjoy dressing for dinner, so we take extra clothes -- day outfits, excursion outfits, dinner outfits, and formal/dressy night outfits -- of course, we mix and match pieces, but because we unpack only once on a cruise, we do feel free to bring more items than we would bring on a non-cruise vacation.

If we fly to port (which we usually do), we always mix our belongings together in our large checked bag, in case that bag does not make it to the ship with us. That way we each have at least some of our stuff onboard.

We make sure we have little things like sunscreen, as they can get expensive to buy on the ship, and we take onboard as much alcohol as we are allowed, to save money. As we do not have smart phones, we bring our camera. It is convenient to have a highlighter, to mark on the daily ship newspaper the activities we want to participate in. I always take a sun hat on a cruise, and exercise clothes. My travel purse, which I use on board ship as well as on shore, is a small cloth cross-body bag which holds my camera, a bottle of water, sunglasses, a pen, a credit card (and/or my ship card), sometimes a small amount of cash, and some tissues. I have a tote bag which I use for beach excursions. Because I have a sensitive stomach, I always have motion-sickness meds, which I start taking the morning of the cruise. I usually take them only for a day or two, as Caribbean sailings are rarely rough.

There is very little, as cb at sea points out, that you need that is "cruise specific." If you really want to read other people's packing lists, I recommend you look at the online lists put together by people who are going to the same region you are going to, for more or less the same length of time you are going, but who are NOT going on a cruise -- these lists are more practical and shorter. You can always add to them if you choose to, but if you refer to them rather than to cruise-specific lists, you will be less likely to take a bunch of stuff you don't need.

This has been my experience.

While there are no ultimate packing lists I have seen on CC people posting lists and what is nice about them is you can read through them and find things that do make sense for you and add them to your list.

What we take today is different than what we took on our first list. In some cases we take less and in other cases we take more, particularly in the area of over the counter medications and other related items.

And the other area that we are much better in comes to clothing off the ship. That includes clothing that we find is best for us when it is hot outside (such as underarmour shirts) and clothing when it is cold (fleece, hat, gloves, etc.) as well as when it is rainy (water proof jacket with hood). Yes, we learned from experience.

If you do a search on CC you will find packing lists. It comes up from time to time on other boards such as the first timer board and the ask a questions board.

I do think some people forget around CC what it was like on their first cruise and how their knowledge has increased quite a bit as they have cruises more and more.

I know we have learned a lot which now saves us from making certain mistakes and adds to our enjoyment of the cruise on and off the ship.

Keith

While there are no ultimate packing lists I have seen on CC people posting lists and what is nice about them is you can read through them and find things that do make sense for you and add them to your list.

What we take today is different than what we took on our first list. In some cases we take less and in other cases we take more, particularly in the area of over the counter medications and other related items.

And the other area that we are much better in comes to clothing off the ship. That includes clothing that we find is best for us when it is hot outside (such as underarmour shirts) and clothing when it is cold (fleece, hat, gloves, etc.) as well as when it is rainy (water proof jacket with hood). Yes, we learned from experience.

If you do a search on CC you will find packing lists. It comes up from time to time on other boards such as the first timer board and the ask a questions board.

I do think some people forget around CC what it was like on their first cruise and how their knowledge has increased quite a bit as they have cruises more and more.

I know we have learned a lot which now saves us from making certain mistakes and adds to our enjoyment of the cruise on and off the ship.

Keith

THANK YOU!!! This was exactly what I was thinking when I asked this question :)

I don't understand why some people have to put there "2 cents" in when they apparently have nothing to contribute to the actual question :)

This is our 6th cruise and I have never packed by a list. However this time I wanted to see if there were any lists out there that I could look at and see an item on it that I would not have thought to pack that would actually be nice to have.

I will search the forums for a list :)

Thanks for the positive feedback!!

I don't understand why some people have to put there "2 cents" in when they apparently have nothing to contribute to the actual question :)

This is our 6th cruise and I have never packed by a list. However this time I wanted to see if there were any lists out there that I could look at and see an item on it that I would not have thought to pack that would actually be nice to have.

This is a fun read

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48530114

I am confused. What does this have to do with a packing list?

Also- you asked earlier where we are going?

We are going to the Caribbean for the first time.

We have cruised 6 times in Europe.

I am a horrible packer :) I am cruising in 9 days and still have not begun to pack!

Looking for the expert packers out there with their lists :)

There's no such thing as the 'ultimate' packing list.

Some people pack everything but the kitchen sink. Other people feel happiest when carrying a tiny bag just the bare essentials. Neither is the 'right' one.

I lean towards taking less stuff. I plan out what I'll wear and plan to wear things more than once or use laundry or cleaning service. I wear the same jewellery every day. I take what I can't get on the ship or shore for things like makeup and medications and leave the rest st home

Think about what you absolutely must have. Plan your outfits. Don't feel that you have to take everything you own :)

Thanks for the feedback :)

I am a bit of an excessive packer :) I bring different jewelry and shoes for every outfit :)

You may find you have inadvertently opened a can of worms by asking for the "ultimate cruise packing list." I have seen many such lists on these very boards, and as JanineM mentioned, they commonly include everything but the sink, and some, I swear, include the sink, too! I assume that you have not cruised before, or you would probably not be inspired to ask for others' packing suggestions -- you would know what you need and want. I suggest you don't read others' cruise-packing lists -- especially those labeled as "ultimate" -- as you will believe that everything these list-makers mention is something you will need and want. Most things on most lists are absolutely unnecessary.

Cruising allows us to enjoy visiting several different places without lugging bags around, so my husband and I, at least, do travel a little "heavy" when we cruise. We ordinarily have one carry-on each and one large bag that we share. This allows us to take, for example, our snorkle gear, which we use at every possible port (we have only cruised in the Caribbean). We also very much enjoy dressing for dinner, so we take extra clothes -- day outfits, excursion outfits, dinner outfits, and formal/dressy night outfits -- of course, we mix and match pieces, but because we unpack only once on a cruise, we do feel free to bring more items than we would bring on a non-cruise vacation.

If we fly to port (which we usually do), we always mix our belongings together in our large checked bag, in case that bag does not make it to the ship with us. That way we each have at least some of our stuff onboard.

We make sure we have little things like sunscreen, as they can get expensive to buy on the ship, and we take onboard as much alcohol as we are allowed, to save money. As we do not have smart phones, we bring our camera. It is convenient to have a highlighter, to mark on the daily ship newspaper the activities we want to participate in. I always take a sun hat on a cruise, and exercise clothes. My travel purse, which I use on board ship as well as on shore, is a small cloth cross-body bag which holds my camera, a bottle of water, sunglasses, a pen, a credit card (and/or my ship card), sometimes a small amount of cash, and some tissues. I have a tote bag which I use for beach excursions. Because I have a sensitive stomach, I always have motion-sickness meds, which I start taking the morning of the cruise. I usually take them only for a day or two, as Caribbean sailings are rarely rough.

There is very little, as cb at sea points out, that you need that is "cruise specific." If you really want to read other people's packing lists, I recommend you look at the online lists put together by people who are going to the same region you are going to, for more or less the same length of time you are going, but who are NOT going on a cruise -- these lists are more practical and shorter. You can always add to them if you choose to, but if you refer to them rather than to cruise-specific lists, you will be less likely to take a bunch of stuff you don't need.

This has been my experience.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Hello all-

What packing list do you use?

I am looking for the ultimate packing list for a man/woman-

I would love to see/read about what you use.

Thanks in advance :)

Cruising in 10 days and haven't even begun to pack yet!!! :eek:

My must haves are:

Cruise docs

ID

Credit Card

Sunglasses

Swimsuit

Flip Flops

Sunscreen

Camera

Kindle

Chargers

Undergarments

Shorts

T shirts

Sundress

Toothbrush

Everything else I can find somewhere before I need it if I forget it.

Lordy! Pack whatever you'd take on ANY vacation! There really is nothing "cruise specific" you need!

I kind of disagree!! There are a lot of things I pack for a cruise that I don't pack for a land vacation! But that's just me!!

Totally agree!

I have a packing list I use that I can email to you if you'd like??

I agree there's nothing cruise specific on my packing list- only climate and/or destination specific. I also have a master list I've developed over time and I edit for each trip. For some trips I also create visual packing/dressing guides in powerpoint - just for fun, and because I read a lot of blogs where packing list (or capsule wardrobes) are posted, and seeing things visually really helps me mix and match my wardrobes.

I also pin a lot of packing or capsule wardrobes if you want to look visually (we've only cruised the Caribbean once and aren't likely to do so again, so that's probably not very helpful - my last Caribbean trip was a sailing trip for my birthday in 2013 and that packing list was very different than for what you might want on a cruise ship:p) I also tend to pin things like "3 weeks in 1 carry-on" - my goal is to be a light and appropriate packer. (that's MY goal. I don't hold it against anyone else if their goals are different;))

Travelfashiongirl is someone whose pins I've collected https://www.pinterest.com/source/travelfashiongirl.com/

Also attached - my capsule wardrobe for the Christmas Markets river cruise we did last November/December.

River Cruise capsule.pdf

Edited by Hoyaheel

If you check the internet for Cruise Packing Lists...you'll get a ton of them. I actually got mine years ago off the board. Regardless of what other's say I'm sure you're smart enough to know what to pick from any list what you specifically need and don't need off of it.

I hope you have a great cruise!!!:D

My list has developed over time. I keep an excel spreadsheet as a master list and then change and rename it depending on where we're going. Right now I have one growing for our Hawaii cruise.

One thing that doesn't often change on my list is the first aid kit items and the "miscellaneous" items. Things on the miscellaneous list would include phone/tablet chargers, passports, sewing kit, camera, sunscreen and sunglasses. I sometimes include binoculars and sunscreen if we're cruising in warm weather.

Clothes on the list do change. For Hawaii, I know it's going to be cool in the beginning and at the end of the cruise, so I'll have clothes for both warm weather and cool weather. I'll also add dramamine to the first aid kit because el nino might make the crossing a bit more rough.

My lists do tend to be fluid, which is why a master list I can edit is so important to me.

This is a good idea and exactly what I need to do! Come up with a master list :)

I am taking all the info from everyone's replies and compiling a list then I am going to go through for things that I think would be useful for us and then discard what I don't need and hopefully come up with a comprehensive list. We are actually going to be cruising more often.... so this will be very helpful for me- :) Thank you!

I am confused. What does this have to do with a packing list?

Looking for the expert packers out there with their lists :)

~400 posts of what others take. Just ignore the posts about the $2 bills. ;)

Packing is personal and evolves over time. My packing list would never work for you. Taking more than four pair of shoes or any extra jewelry just 'gives me hives'. Lol

Some things to consider ----

What will the weather be like and how do you react to it. How well do you handle heat and humidity? Cold? Rain? That should decide your packing list.

What size suitcase do you want to take? Decide and only bring what fits. Why bring an 8 oz bottle of shampoo when two ounces will do.

Mix and match -- one cruise I packed around a lime green cardigan. Everything had to go with that.

Lots of ideas at The Vivienne Files and Lady Light Travel.

Do you mind doing laundry? Either laundry rooms, by hand or sent out. Would you use Febreeze?

My packing list is something like--

4-6 bottoms

10 tops

One 'lobster night' outfit

Sneakers, sandals, ballet flats, water shoes (some cruises it's just ballet flats and sandals)

DH's is -

two pair Dockers

Shirts for a week

Walking shoes (maybe sandals)

Both lists include travel clothes.

Edited by SadieN