Jade tenders/ports

mysticalmom

We just got back from the 12/26 cruise and tendering went smooth for us. In Belize we got in line about 7:15 to get a tendering ticket, we were on the 3rd boat out. We were on land by 8:30 ish. We had a tour scheduled and had no problem meeting up with them. When we were done, about 3:30, it was a short wait and we were back on the ship. In Roatan the Jade docked at 7 am and we were able to walk off the ship, no problem. We met our tour easily, once we figured out how to get out to the street. We had no problem getting back on the ship at 2.

Hi everyone!

We will be on the Jade the first week of January, and after a lot of the reviews on the nightmarish tender/port docking process, I am getting a little nervous! Even though this is our first cruise with NCL, we went out on a limb and scheduled excursions in Belize and Roatan with independent companies. Now I'm worried we will not get off the ship in either place in time to make them.

The excursion in Belize departs from the dock at 9am going to Sharkray Alley, so if we happen to be late (like some have posted about recently), we will totally miss out on that.

The one in Roatan going zip lining is a little less strict on the departure time (it just says 1 hr after ship arrival), but it says it lasts a total of 4 1/2 hours, which, if we don't get off the tender boats until noon-ish, would not work.

What do we do?? Should we just cancel now and avoid the stress, or take the chance that by two weeks from now, NCL has worked out all the kinks in the port arrival process in both Belize and Roatan? I really want to go on these excursions, but not at the expense of my sanity- this is, after all, a vacation. :)

Any advice is welcome, especially from those who have recently been on this itinerary. Thank you all for any advice you can give me!

Kristi

How was your cruise? Did the tendering go ok?

We did the 12/12/15 cruise & it went well. Belize is kind of a pain for tendering. The calling of tender numbers went on until 11:30am, so you have to get in line early early for a low tender number.

In Roatan we heard the announcement at approx 6:30am that we had until 7:50am to walk off before we had to leave & anchor at sea. We ran off the ship, jumped in a cab & were on the beach by 7:30am! That gave us approx 2 extra hours in Roatan!

Edited by pookeysmom

We did the 12/12/15 cruise & it went well. Belize is kind of a pain for tendering. The calling of tender numbers went on until 11:30am, so you have to get in line early early for a low tender number.

In Roatan we heard the announcement at approx 6:30am that we had until 7:50am to walk off before we had to leave & anchor at sea. We ran off the ship, jumped in a cab & were on the beach by 7:30am! That gave us approx 2 extra hours in Roatan!

Thaks for time heads up. i will be setting my alarm that morning.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I have read a number of posts from people who said they tendered in Belize, but NCL's port info site says the ships will DOCK in Belize. Here's the link:

https://www.ncl.com/port-of-call/cruises-to-belize-city#need-to-know

I am wondering if that NCL site is newly updated or rather outdated.

No ships port in Belize, it is all tenders due to the coral reef. On the 1/2 Jade sailing there were some real issues even though we were the only ship in port. It was after Noon before there was open tendering. They extended our port time an hour to try and make up for it.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I have read a number of posts from people who said they tendered in Belize, but NCL's port info site says the ships will DOCK in Belize. Here's the link:

https://www.ncl.com/port-of-call/cruises-to-belize-city#need-to-know

I am wondering if that NCL site is newly updated or rather outdated.

NCL is notorious for not updating their website. That "dock in Belize" was probably from when they thought Harvest Caye would be opening but it has officially been postponed until at least November. So ships will be going to Belize City and tendering as they have always had to do.

Thank you lhsail and NMLady. Guess I am going to be in that early morning tender ticket line up.

Do you know how early that starts and how long the line is? If it starts at 7 am should I be in line at 6 or 630?

I am bravely trying a private excursion this time, but maybe too bravely?

(lol "in" line -- Canadian "tell", I think. Don't American's say "on" line? Or is that a regional thing?)

Thank you lhsail and NMLady. Guess I am going to be in that early morning tender ticket line up.

Do you know how early that starts and how long the line is? If it starts at 7 am should I be in line at 6 or 630?

I am bravely trying a private excursion this time, but maybe too bravely?

(lol "in" line -- Canadian "tell", I think. Don't American's say "on" line? Or is that a regional thing?)

Not sure about times, but I'm from TX & say in line :)

On the 1/2 cruise, Belize tender was a nightmare. We waiting shoulder to shoulder in a tiny passage way in front of the 4th deck elevators for 40 minutes, no announcements, no crowd control, no tendering! That was for group 3...we eventually made it off but it's a 15 min boat ride to shore and they seemed to run only 2 boats. So long waits. The hallway was so crowded people couldn't get off the elevator, stairways were blocked. Such a stampede, fire hazard and an incredibly unpleasant way to start the day.

Roatan by contrast was fast and easy. We had number 8 and were off in no time for the 5 min ride to shore.

Thanks for the info and heads up. Guess I'll be in (or on) line sometime well before 730. For the first time ever I have booked us on a private excursion -- in Belize of all places, with the terrible tendering, sheesh.

I think I need to start a George Costanza "do the opposite" plan. :D

How was your cruise? Did the tendering go ok?

We had a great cruise, and the tendering, for us, was very simple and easy. However, I think that was because we were in a suite and simply went to the Star Bar to meet our concierge whenever we wanted to go. For Belize, we were there first thing and were on the second tender- the process from arriving at Star Bar to getting off the tendering boat was about 30-40 mins total (and 20 of that was the actual tender ride to the dock). We heard mixed reviews from those not in suites, from what PacPaliFamily said to others who said, "Oh, we didn't have much of a wait at all." I did hear that it was a rough start for the Belize tenders due to some issues possibly with legalities and the like. Not at all sure what that was, and what we heard was rumors, but we had no problems at all. For Roatan, we got up a bit later and got there about an hour into tendering, and again were immediately sent down a back elevator to join the groups who were already in progress. It wasn't bad either, and the tender ride was much closer than Belize (we heard due to the fact that Belize is a non-extradition country and therefore we had to anchor out further- not sure about that either). All in all, it was smooth for us, but again, if we wouldn't have been in a suite, I think it would have been much more stressful. :cool:

I read that ships anchor farther out from Belize City because of the coral reef. Don't know if that's true or not.

That would make sense, too. I know that we had to go around some in the smaller boat we were in when we went to Hol Chan marine park for snorkeling...

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from 1/16-23 cruise on Jade. Tender in Belize about 5 miles (10-15 minutes) out using private tender boats. Started handing out tickets at 8:30. I got out there around 7:45 and got tender group 4. They called tender 1 shortly after 8:30 but then it took about an hour to get to tender 2 because of a problem. Started going faster after that. Got to shore around 10:30. Roatan tender tickets were given out earlier (7:00?) but the tenders went really fast. We had tender 7 and they called it even before we were ready to go. Walked right on to tender lifeboat with no problem. Trip back easy as well. All in all, I would say it wasn't a big deal. If you have something really early, I would line up. Otherwise, I wouldn't kill myself to do it. Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...
When we were on the Jade a couple weeks ago, we thought the crew was fantastic-- except for one of the restaurant hostess'. We had a run in with her 3 nights straight. When we complained it was apparent we weren't the only pax having issues with her. They made it up to us with a few free bottles of wine and champagne. But we didn't let her ruin our trip.

As far as the bus breaking down, these things will happen from time to time. Don't let it discourage you. And also, always bring bottle water with you. It was around 80 degrees and 90% humidity when we went, so you never want to be without water. We always bring bottle water on shore excursions. Some tour operators have water, others don't. Better just to have some.

Have a great vacation!

Are you able to take bottle(s) of water off the ship or do you have to buy ashore before tour starts?

Are you able to take bottle(s) of water off the ship or do you have to buy ashore before tour starts?

I've always taken my water bottle filled with water (a tumbler style, so clearly unsealed) off the ship without issue and they sell water on the ship before you get off. Presumably it's no issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums