Which cruise - limited on dates of travel

hjd36

I know every other post is a "which cruise/which itinerary" - so is this one!

DH and I want to go on an Alaska cruise next summer. We live in the UK. We want to spend some time in Vancouver, and we want to do a trip on the Rocky Mountaineer.

We have cruised once before, on Celebrity Infinity in 2013, to the Norwegian Fjords.

This is likely to be the only trip we do to Alaska so we want to make it the best one! Money is not the deciding factor, although we don't want to pay more than necessary.

The problem is the dates.

Due to our work commitments, the earliest we can fly out from UK is Saturday, 23 July, and we need to be home no later than Tuesday, 9 August. Rather limits our options!

We are probably not particularly interested in wilderness/outdoors stuff; definitely whale watching, maybe seeing brown bears, especially seeing the glaciers.

Looks like Glacier Bay is one of the best stops, but Celebrity don't go there. We are not fixated on going with Celebrity but we found them a good fit on our previous cruise. HAL do Glacier Bay but we are put off by smoking being allowed on balconies - we don't smoke, and don't want other people's smoke when we are on our balcony! Of course we may be wrong about this.

Is a round trip better than a one way one?

I hope some of you knowledgeable people will be able to help. This is a trip of a lifetime so we want it to be the best we can make it. Thanks in advance.

Two bad you couldn't fly out 2 days early as this is close to what you want:

http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=9623&tourCode=T6A01

I would also consider Princess as they will do Glacier Bay and a 2nd glacier.

They don't allow smoking on balconies or staterooms.

----------

Everyone has different preferences between one way and roundtrips. On Princess, they have 2 glacier days and glaciers are my priority so I like one ways.

Princess seems to have a lot of British passengers on their cruises.

Edited by Coral

DH and I want to go on an Alaska cruise next summer. We live in the UK. We want to spend some time in Vancouver, and we want to do a trip on the Rocky Mountaineer.

We have cruised once before, on Celebrity Infinity in 2013, to the Norwegian Fjords.

This is likely to be the only trip we do to Alaska so we want to make it the best one! Money is not the deciding factor, although we don't want to pay more than necessary.

Due to our work commitments, the earliest we can fly out from UK is Saturday, 23 July, and we need to be home no later than Tuesday, 9 August. Rather limits our options!

We are probably not particularly interested in wilderness/outdoors stuff; definitely whale watching, maybe seeing brown bears, especially seeing the glaciers.

Looks like Glacier Bay is one of the best stops, but Celebrity don't go there. We are not fixated on going with Celebrity but we found them a good fit on our previous cruise. HAL do Glacier Bay but we are put off by smoking being allowed on balconies - we don't smoke, and don't want other people's smoke when we are on our balcony! Of course we may be wrong about this.

I hope some of you knowledgeable people will be able to help. This is a trip of a lifetime so we want it to be the best we can make it. Thanks in advance.

So your travel dates would be between July 24 and August 7?? (considering a lot of overnight flights are usually the norm for UK)

I'd recommend NCL Sun- and independent touring of mainland Alaska. Leave Vancouver July 25- August 1. Enjoy Seward, then transfer to Anchorage, and rent a car, see, if any overnight flights match up August 7 out of Anchorage.

IF a possibility- there is a lot of further help available to give you a fantastic mainland itinerary.

NCL sometimes- get a "negative" rap. I've sailed them multiple times in Alaska, and especially this itinerary- it is fantastic. BUT- I go to Alaska for what is outside the ship and don't care what ship I am on. So only my point of view. The Sun- isn't a "pretty" ship, or has a lot of the upgrades that are on the new ships coming out. But- does do a good job in Alaska and provides the necessary- meals, lodging and transportation. :)

Mon Vancouver, British Columbia (EMBARK) --- 4:00 pm

Tue CRUISE INSIDE PASSAGE --- ---

Wed Ketchikan, Alaska 7:00 am 4:00 pm

Thu Juneau, Alaska 11:00 am 9:00 pm

Fri Skagway, Alaska 8:00 am 8:00 pm

Sat Cruise Glacier Bay --- ---

Sun Cruise Hubbard Glacier --- ---

Mon Seward, Alaska (DISEMBARK) 7:00 am ---

This of course has you mainland Alaska touring, and the the Canadian Rockies. The alternative would be to fly from Anc (I would at least stay one extra day), but really shortens time available. Again, if open to just renting a car, needs less time than the train, and a lot more touring opportunities. I've taken the train, and always got rental cars rather then "tours" which were too limited for my preference. You could spend all your time just in Canada.

Tough decisions.

Edited by Budget Queen

Celebrity does go to Hubbard Glacier though, which is fantastic, and it looks like they have several itineraries that would fit your timing. Specifically, they have a 7-night southbound from Seward to Vancouver leaving on July 29, which would get you to Vancouver early enough to spend some post-cruise nights there before flying home on August 8. You would also have time to spend pre-cruise nights in Anchorage. They also offer an option to add a cruise tour to this itinerary, which starts on July 26. Check it out.

Just clarification - are you looking for the train ride for the Canadian Rockies or just planning on driving it by car?

I assumed you meant the train ride.

There are definitely more options if you plan on driving from Vancouver to Banff/Calgary.

Just clarification - are you looking for the train ride for the Canadian Rockies or just planning on driving it by car?

I assumed you meant the train ride.

There are definitely more options if you plan on driving from Vancouver to Banff/Calgary.

I was unclear as well. :)

They really don't have enough time with the train, cruise and Vancouver time- + the extended flights.

I was unclear as well. :)

They really don't have enough time with the train, cruise and Vancouver time- + the extended flights.

I looked extensively as well. The dates just don't work well with the train.

Hopefully they come back and answer.

Edited by Coral

Sorry, been busy with other stuff away from my pc!

Definitely the train ride, not driving. Doesn't have to be the full trip, but there aren't really any shorter rail trips that I could see.

The cruise is the main thing - spending time in Alaska before/after is not the priority.

So - we want to do the cruise, the Rocky Mountaineer and spend some time in Vancouver.

Thanks for all your comments/suggestions so far!

Look at Regent, north bound from Vancouver on the 27th. That will give you a couple of days in Vancouver at the beginning and maybe enough time at the end for a quick run to Denali before you have to fly home. (Even if you can't get to Denali, you can explore the Kenai.)

Here's what I'd do.

Fly straight into Anchorage. There is one-stop service through Iceland (Icelandair) London - Keflavik - Anchorage, or you could fly via Seattle (British Airways + Alaska Airlines - partners.) This will be a very long day but it will get the pain out of the way in one.

Spend a day or two in Anchorage walking about and recovering from the time change. Then hire a car (or take the train) to Whittier and take a glacier cruise - numerous tidewater glaciers, comfortable ride.

Do that on the day a Princess ship sails south from Whittier. Princess (along with Holland America) are the most experienced lines serving Alaska, and I believe all/most of their Whittier departures travel via Glacier Bay en route to Vancouver.

In Vancouver, you can spend a couple of days touring, then take the Rocky Mountaineer to Lake Loiuse or Banff, 2-3 days counting overnight stops.

After seeing the Rockies, I'd make my way to Calgary (bus or car) - 90 min. on motorway - for the flight back to the UK - either nonstop on British Airways, or via Seattle or Vancouver, both short flights from Calgary airport.

I've looked at various calendars and that approach would seem to be very feasible given your timing. A return Vancouver - Rockies - Vancouver train trip wouldn't work.

Sat/Sun, July 23-24: fly to Anchorage - 3-4 nights on the mainland, depending on when you arrive in ANC

Wednesday, July 27 - Island Princess southbound to Vancouver - going to both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay: http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=2624

Wednesday, August 3, cruise ends in Vancouver - 2 nights

Friday/Saturday, August 5-6: Rocky Mountaineer Vancouver to Banff - 1 night in Banff: https://www.rockymountaineer.com/en_US/booking/when-to-travel/2016/canadian_rocky/first_passage_to_the_west/2_day_vancouver_banff?tourCode=16YVRYBAO&tourCode=16YBAYVRO

Sunday/Monday, August 7-8: transfer to Calgary and fly to the UK (or stay 2 nights in Banff and fly home August 8-9)

**This is basically what Gardyloo said, with specific dates.

**Just want to be sure the OP realizes the Rocky Mountaineer is just 2 days on the train and 1 night at a hotel in Kamloops. Any other stops (Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff) are additional hotel nights.

Edited by NancyIL

This poster is NOT interested in any mainland Alaska, so Gardyloo has the only possible solution, and even that is tight.

So, now the selection should be limited to any southbound cruise July 24th (likely the only available, since Mon, Tues departures aren't available, Wed. likely too late). Hal Zaandam out of Seward.

This poster is NOT interested in any mainland Alaska, so Gardyloo has the only possible solution, and even that is tight.

So, now the selection should be limited to any southbound cruise July 24th (likely the only available, since Mon, Tues departures aren't available, Wed. likely too late). Hal Zaandam out of Seward.

Due to the timing of the cruises and the train trip, there will be a few extra days to be spent either in Alaska at the beginning of the trip or in the Canadian Rockies at the end. If the OP wants more than 1 extra day in the Canadian Rockies in addition to 2 days on the Rocky Mountaineer - then the Zaandam appears to be the only option. However, flying from the UK to Anchorage on July 23rd for departure on the Zaandam on the 24th is not without its risks. I'd prefer to have a few days' travel cushion before my cruise rather than at the end of the trip.

The OP said, "The cruise is the main thing - spending time in Alaska before/after is not the priority." "Not the priority" is not the same as "NOT interested in any mainland Alaska." One could certainly find plenty to do within several hours of Anchorage with the Wednesday, July 27 Island Princess departure from Whittier, including Kenai Fjords and College Fjords glacier cruises - since the OP is interested in glaciers. The southbound Princess cruise also offers both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay - to which I give the edge over the Zaandam's Glacier Bay-only itinerary (http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=AS607X&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=cruises,A&dateCode=7_2016&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=AA&voyageCode=X668). By the way - the OP isn't keen on HAL due to smoking being allowed on balconies.

Edited by NancyIL

Due to the timing of the cruises and the train trip, there will be a few extra days to be spent either in Alaska at the beginning of the trip or in the Canadian Rockies at the end. If the OP wants more than 1 extra day in the Canadian Rockies in addition to 2 days on the Rocky Mountaineer - then the Zaandam appears to be the only option. However, flying from the UK to Anchorage on July 23rd for departure on the Zaandam on the 24th is not without its risks. I'd prefer to have a few days' travel cushion before my cruise rather than at the end of the trip.

The OP said, "The cruise is the main thing - spending time in Alaska before/after is not the priority." "Not the priority" is not the same as "NOT interested in any mainland Alaska." One could certainly find plenty to do within several hours of Anchorage with the Wednesday, July 27 Island Princess departure from Whittier, including Kenai Fjords and College Fjords glacier cruises - since the OP is interested in glaciers. The southbound Princess cruise also offers both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay - to which I give the edge over the Zaandam's Glacier Bay-only itinerary (http://www.hollandamerica.com/find-cruise-vacation/CruiseDetails.action?webItineraryIdForAudit=AS607X&fromSearchVacation=true&destList=cruises,A&dateCode=7_2016&flexibleMonths=false&noOfFlexibleMonths=1&portCode=&shipCodeSearch=AA&voyageCode=X668). By the way - the OP isn't keen on HAL due to smoking being allowed on balconies.

From the posts, it appears an Alaska cruise and the Canadian Rockies train were the priorities. With also the statement of "spending time in Vancouver" places some very unfavorable limits. In my opinion, the only train to Banff leaves on 8/5. This date looks to have only 2 possible cruise ships, HAL and Princess, with the princess having only 1 day in Vancouver. Would this suit their "Vancouver" time?

This train route- is the only one, with easy access to Calgary- which they need to verify flight availability for. There are all kinds of "risks" with these plans.

A better alternative could be the other direction. Flying into Calgary, time in Vancouver , northbound cruise, then out of Anc. Train leaves July 27

Edited by Budget Queen

Looking quick on a general list- it again seems only the Zaandam works out with the other direction and a northbound cruise.

Not sure of their August 9= if they are returning to work that day, or if that is a travel day as well?

From the posts, it appears an Alaska cruise and the Canadian Rockies train were the priorities. With also the statement of "spending time in Vancouver" places some very unfavorable limits. In my opinion, the only train to Banff leaves on 8/5. This date looks to have only 2 possible cruise ships, HAL and Princess, with the princess having only 1 day in Vancouver. Would this suit their "Vancouver" time?

This train route- is the only one, with easy access to Calgary- which they need to verify flight availability for. There are all kinds of "risks" with these plans.

A better alternative could be the other direction. Flying into Calgary, time in Vancouver , northbound cruise, then out of Anc. Train leaves July 27

The Island Princess arrives in Vancouver on the morning of August 3, allowing the OP to spend 2 full days and nights in Vancouver before departing on the train on Aug. 5.

Flying to Calgary first is a safer bet than flying to Anchorage the day before the Zaandam departs, and it offers more days in the Canadian Rockies - if that is the OP's priority. The July 27 train from Banff arrives in Vancouver at 7 p.m. on July 28. In order to spend 2 full days in Vancouver, the OP would ideally cruise on Sunday, July 31. However, a roundtrip cruise from Vancouver on Saturday, July 30 would allow time in Vancouver before and after the cruise.

Here are the Saturday and Sunday cruise options from Vancouver:

Saturday, July 30 cruises from Vancouver

HAL Nieuw Amsterdam (RT Vancouver - Glacier Bay, and option for Tracy Arm excursion - at the expense of time in Juneau)

Star Princess (Vancouver to Whittier - Glacier Bay and College Fjord)

Sunday, July 31 cruises from Vancouver

Celebrity Infinity (RT Vancouver - Hubbard Glacier)

HAL Zaandam (Vancouver to Seward - Glacier Bay)

There are non-stop flights between London and both Calgary and Vancouver. There appear to be no non-stop flights between Anchorage and London in either direction.

If it were me (and I know it's not!) - I'd still choose the July 27 Island Princess cruise from Whittier because it has the best cruise itinerary (Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier), plus 2 full days in Vancouver, the Rocky Mountaineer train and an extra day in Banff, and the bonus of up to 4 days pre-cruise in Alaska. The ability to spend several days in Alaska makes this the winner, in my opinion.

Edited by NancyIL

Looking quick on a general list- it again seems only the Zaandam works out with the other direction and a northbound cruise.

Not sure of their August 9= if they are returning to work that day, or if that is a travel day as well?

The OP's "we need to be home no later than Tuesday, 9 August" implies that August 9 is the last day for travel.

The Island Princess arrives in Vancouver on the morning of August 3, allowing the OP to spend 2 full days and nights in Vancouver before departing on the train on Aug. 5.

Flying to Calgary first is a safer bet than flying to Anchorage the day before the Zaandam departs, and it offers more days in the Canadian Rockies - if that is the OP's priority. The July 27 train from Banff arrives in Vancouver at 7 p.m. on July 28. In order to spend 2 full days in Vancouver, the OP would ideally cruise on Sunday, July 31. However, a roundtrip cruise from Vancouver on Saturday, July 30 would allow time in Vancouver before and after the cruise.

Here are the Saturday and Sunday cruise options from Vancouver:

Saturday, July 30 cruises from Vancouver

HAL Nieuw Amsterdam (RT Vancouver - Glacier Bay and option for Tracy Arm excursion)

Star Princess (Vancouver to Whittier - Glacier Bay and College Fjord)

Sunday, July 31 cruises from Vancouver

Celebrity Infinity (RT Vancouver - Hubbard Glacier)

HAL Zaandam (Vancouver to Seward - Glacier Bay)

There are non-stop flights between London and both Calgary and Vancouver. There appear to be no non-stop flights between Anchorage and London in either direction.

If it were me (and I know it's not!) - I'd still choose the July 27 Island Princess cruise from Whittier because it has the best cruise itinerary (Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier), plus 2 full days in Vancouver, the Rocky Mountaineer train and an extra day in Banff, and the bonus of up to 4 days pre-cruise in Alaska. The ability to spend several days in Alaska makes this the winner, in my opinion.

Excellent thoughts and excellent option!

Thank you all for your very helpful posts.

I have to be back at work on Wednesday 10 August which is why we must be home by Tuesday 9th (and ignore the jetlag). It is just possible I could push return to work to Thurs 11th but wouldn't bank on it.

The itinerary with the Island Princess in the middle looks very interesting; so does the Celebrity Infinity (our only previous cruise was on the Infinity so we know what to expect there!) Costings for the 2 cruises are similar.

It's not that we are not interested in mainland Alaska, but it is not top priority.

I have costed it all and sent to OH for his perusal. That may take some time... but I shall keep checking back on this thread.

Thank you all for your very helpful posts.

I have to be back at work on Wednesday 10 August which is why we must be home by Tuesday 9th (and ignore the jetlag). It is just possible I could push return to work to Thurs 11th but wouldn't bank on it.

The itinerary with the Island Princess in the middle looks very interesting; so does the Celebrity Infinity (our only previous cruise was on the Infinity so we know what to expect there!) Costings for the 2 cruises are similar.

It's not that we are not interested in mainland Alaska, but it is not top priority.

I have costed it all and sent to OH for his perusal. That may take some time... but I shall keep checking back on this thread.

I think the biggest issue is going to be the logistics with the train to Banff. It seems to me that the Infinity (which I've been on 3 times, nice boat) offers the best option. Fly into Vancouver, spend a couple of days in the city, then the round trip cruise, then the train one way to Banff, airport shuttle to Calgary, then fly back to the UK from YYC. An "open-jaw" itinerary, LHR-YVR//YYC-LHR on BA should cost the same as a return trip to either.

I think the biggest issue is going to be the logistics with the train to Banff. It seems to me that the Infinity (which I've been on 3 times, nice boat) offers the best option. Fly into Vancouver, spend a couple of days in the city, then the round trip cruise, then the train one way to Banff, airport shuttle to Calgary, then fly back to the UK from YYC. An "open-jaw" itinerary, LHR-YVR//YYC-LHR on BA should cost the same as a return trip to either.

The Infinity sails on Sundays, and the OP can't fly to North America until Saturday, July 23. (That would be too close for comfort for me.) To sail on that ship - the timing works better to fly to Calgary first, spend a few days in the Canadian Rockies, then take the July 27 train from Banff to Vancouver and the July 31 roundtrip Infinity cruise.

The Infinity sails on Sundays, and the OP can't fly to North America until Saturday, July 23. (That would be too close for comfort for me.) To sail on that ship - the timing works better to fly to Calgary first, spend a few days in the Canadian Rockies, then take the July 27 train from Banff to Vancouver and the July 31 roundtrip Infinity cruise.
Okay, but to me the cruise would be the ideal way to work off 8 hours of time change and jetlag, rather than jumping right into land-based tourism right off the bat, but your way works, too.