Trying to book three staterooms for a family

leisuretraveler223

I'm failing miserably. Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Traveling with my significant other and her four kids, ages 9, 11, 12 & 14. Was planning on getting us a Grand Suite, and then putting them in two interior staterooms directly across the hall. I get everything picked out and go to put the information in, and it's telling me the primary traveler listed on each stateroom must be at least 21. Does that mean we cannot put the kids in interior rooms directly across the hall?

What am I missing here?

I'm failing miserably. Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Traveling with my significant other and her four kids, ages 9, 11, 12 & 14. Was planning on getting us a Grand Suite, and then putting them in two interior staterooms directly across the hall. I get everything picked out and go to put the information in, and it's telling me the primary traveler listed on each stateroom must be at least 21. Does that mean we cannot put the kids in interior rooms directly across the hall?

What am I missing here?

Yes, you can book the kids in cabins across the hall. The best thing to do is to call Carnival and book over the phone.

Have fun booking. I still get so excited every time we book a cruise.

Why is a phone call such a hassle?? Just dial...say hello, and tell them what you want!

Because calling cruise lines is a hassle. You can only call during their hours in their time zone which is usually east coast, and often you get put on hold for a long time. Some of the operators type really slowly too.

Sincerely,

someone who would much rather book a cruise, or do most anything online myself than deal with a middle man.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad I can do it. Annoyed, but unsurprised I have to call. Why is it that every cruise line web site has to suck???

Your situation is very unique. The system cannot tell that the children are related to someone who is across the hall, and thus the system requires a manual override. While computers are good, they cannot think and they do not have the AI to make the type of judgement call that must be made in your situation.

Because calling cruise lines is a hassle. You can only call during their hours in their time zone which is usually east coast, and often you get put on hold for a long time. Some of the operators type really slowly too.

Sincerely,

someone who would much rather book a cruise, or do most anything online myself than deal with a middle man.

I'm not sure where you got that idea. The mass market lines are normally available 24/7 as they have guests from around the world calling. I do know that a couple of the upscale or luxury lines have limited hours but CCL is certainly not one of those lines.

The best move I made years ago was to call Carnival and build a relationship with a Carnival PVP. I've worked with the same person at carnival for over 10 years. Even if I book on the ship when I get home I call her and she takes over the booking.

It was my understanding they would have to book one adult over 25 yo in each room. That's what they do with us when we travel. My kids are 6, 11, 15 and 18 and we have never been able to book them solely to a room of their own even with us booking joining rooms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It was my understanding they would have to book one adult over 25 yo in each room. That's what they do with us when we travel. My kids are 6, 11, 15 and 18 and we have never been able to book them solely to a room of their own even with us booking joining rooms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Not exactly.

Guests 12 and younger

If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony cabin without a relative or guardian.

Here is the link:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544/kw/minors%20traveling

Here is the rule:

Terms & Conditions: Minor Policy (Guests under the age of 21)

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian

The bookings must be cross-referenced with the guardian’s stateroom and documented properly

Guests 12 and younger

If the relative or guardian insist on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony cabin without a relative/guardian.

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from their relative or guardian.

Guests 18 – 20 years of age

Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

There are some exceptions, but they do not apply to your situation as described.

Your situation is very unique. The system cannot tell that the children are related to someone who is across the hall, and thus the system requires a manual override. While computers are good, they cannot think and they do not have the AI to make the type of judgement call that must be made in your situation.

This would hardly require "AI". This could and should be easily doable online.

This would hardly require "AI". This could and should be easily doable online.

I guess we will have to disagree, because there is no doubt that this decision making requires AI, and as much as you think it should be doable online it is really not feasible.

I guess we will have to disagree, because there is no doubt that this decision making requires AI, and as much as you think it should be doable online it is really not feasible.

It is quite possible. They could just require the first booking that is made be the one with the adults. Then when you make the bookings for the minors, it requires the booking number for the related adults. The system would see that the room under that booking is across the hall and the people in that cabin are over the designated age. The issue right now is that the system only allows booking one cabin at a time and no way to link them at the time of booking. Setting up such a system is not really easy but not impossible. CCL has just determined that it doesn't happen often enough for them to justify the costs to implement such in their online systems since the same can be accomplished via a phone call.

I don't understand the policy though. For people under 21, they have to have someone over 25 traveling with them? I suspect this is to avoid problems with party groups where some members are 21 or 22 and others are only 20. However, what about young families with small children? Lots of people under 25 have kids.

The issue right now is that the system only allows booking one cabin at a time and no way to link them at the time of booking.

What are you talking about? I've booked multiple cabins on several occasions. The issue here is that the system by default requires someone over 21 in each stateroom, even though their policy in no way requires that. It's nothing but another example of poor design of a cruise line website, which is nothing new. It's not like Carnival is the only one that sucks at this. Royal, NCL, all of them are terrible.