Lost Luggage, not delivered at disembarkation.

Bonnielass

Dear all

Please can you give me any assistance regarding lost luggage. We have just had a very enjoyable cruise on the Navigator of the Sea, disembarked yesterday and one piece of luggage was missing.

I am now back in the UK, can anyone help me with tips about trying to locate the luggage, or does anyone have experience of this happening and can tell me your story.

First phone call i make in the uk to the uk number and i am told they cannot help me because i booked through an American travel agent, i explained that in my opinion it was irrelevant at this stage who i booked with, the lost luggage was a factor that was not connected to where i booked. Now sitting waiting for US office to open.

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you in anticipation.

I would not be surprised if there were differences in the lost luggage policies between the different countries when it comes to compensation, etc. For example I know that airlines in different countries have different levels of compensation.

The mere chance that there could be a difference (even if there is no difference) means that I can understand why the UK team would be reluctant to attempt a resolution and would prefer for it to be handled in the US.

I would not be surprised if there were differences in the lost luggage policies between the different countries when it comes to compensation, etc. For example I know that airlines in different countries have different levels of compensation.

The mere chance that there could be a difference (even if there is no difference) means that I can understand why the UK team would be reluctant to attempt a resolution and would prefer for it to be handled in the US.

I did put my name and address on the outside and inner part of the bag. I appreciate that someone could of taken the bag in error and also that it could of been stolen. If either of these situations have occurred then i believe it is time for the cruise line to issue tags with serial numbers, similar to the ones that airlines issue, spot checks could then be made whilst we are all waiting to go through customs.

However, at this point i am going to remain positive.

I certainly have travel insurance and have found out from RCCL that the maximum compensation for the lost/stolen/took in error bag is $300 per affected person.

In answer to why did we leave without checking the missing luggage section, we did check this section, we also checked the complete baggage hall, there were six in our party and we all searched for a considerable amount of time.

Why i am remaining positive at this time is that there were at least six other people in the same situation as myself, i am hoping that a trolley full of luggage as been left on board.

I do not want to allow myself at this time to think that it has been stolen, that would certainly 'sour' my thoughts. For the past 17 years we have cruised and i do not wish to think that the carefree days of leaving your bag outside your room on the last night are gone.

I had a bad experience with my luggage also.We went thru the bother of purchasing the wildest pattern on a set of luggage.When claiming our luggage after a cruise I could not locate the larger suitcase,just the smaller one. I noticed a suitcase similar to ours and after checking tag found it was from someone in NJ. I explained my problem to an agent walking around. We then checked everyones luggage in the line waiting to go thru customs.Sure enough we found it and the person who had it was very defiant in giving it back to me unless I came up with his luggage. Now we walk off with our luggage and ALWAYS check the tags. Can't imagine what would have happened if he exited with our luggage. :eek::eek:

In answer to why did we leave without checking the missing luggage section, we did check this section, we also checked the complete baggage hall, there were six in our party and we all searched for a considerable amount of time.

I meant check with RCI (on what to do about it and your claim possibilities) right there before you ever left the terminal about the lost luggage - instead of trying to phone them afterwards.

I did put my name and address on the outside and inner part of the bag. I appreciate that someone could of taken the bag in error and also that it could of been stolen. If either of these situations have occurred then i believe it is time for the cruise line to issue tags with serial numbers, similar to the ones that airlines issue, spot checks could then be made whilst we are all waiting to go through customs.

However, at this point i am going to remain positive.

Did you fill out a loss luggage claim at the port? They should have been able to give you the right phone number to call.

I had a bad experience with my luggage also.We went thru the bother of purchasing the wildest pattern on a set of luggage.When claiming our luggage after a cruise I could not locate the larger suitcase,just the smaller one. I noticed a suitcase similar to ours and after checking tag found it was from someone in NJ. I explained my problem to an agent walking around. We then checked everyones luggage in the line waiting to go thru customs.Sure enough we found it and the person who had it was very defiant in giving it back to me unless I came up with his luggage. Now we walk off with our luggage and ALWAYS check the tags. Can't imagine what would have happened if he exited with our luggage. :eek::eek:

Defiant? Wow! I'd have been horribly embarrassed and profusely apologetic.

Defiant? Wow! I'd have been horribly embarrassed and profusely apologetic.

You think that is bad, there was a posting in the past where someone had taken the wrong bad all the way home. The poster saw a similar bag and wrote down the phone number and was finally able to get them once they got home. The person with the wrong bag did not want to pay to ship it to its owner!:eek: The poster did finally get their belongings but was a huge hassle.

It happened to me a while ago in Miami coming off a ship and RCI were not that helpful. My bag ended up being abandoned by the person who took it on an airport carousel somewhere in the US. They removed the flight tag but the airline they were flying with, Delta, were kind enough to fly the bag back to the UK for me without charge.

the worst bit was having to declare at UK customs that the bag had been missing for six weeks and i could not be certain what was in it.

Lost my luggage the same way...was not in the hall when we got off the ship...went through all the correct channels...called airport for left luggage...long story short...never got my suitcase back...had travel insurance, but had to turn into homehomers insurance first...What a hassel...plus losing all my favorite clothes. Was a Hawaiian cruise.

Good luck!

I had a similar experience a few years ago. We had checked our luggage thru (valet service) to the airport (Dulles Wash DC) and it never arrived. I went through all of the hassle of filling out forms for the insurance and about three weeks later got a call from the airlines that my bag was in Baltimore Md. Don't know what happened but I was glad to get it back.

Hope your luggage is found also!

My rather long post disappeared, or I didn't do it right.

We had our suitcase disappear in FLL. Basically, the porter picked up three bags, and only put two in the taxi, then disappeared. The taxi driver didn't want to wait for DH to find our suitcase, and threatened to put me and my bags out on the curb. DH decided to take a chance and get me (I had bronchitis) to the hotel and to bed. So, no claim form was completed. They found our luggage, thanks to our luggage tags. But refused to send it to our hotel. It was headed to a warehouse instead. DH was busy cancelling our remaining cruise, booking airfare, etc.

Once home, we learned since we didn't file out the missing luggage form, we would have to pay for shipping. They sent it COD, and Travel Guard wouldn't reimburse it!

The error happened because the porter grabbed two suitcases and left the third on his dolly, and I was so sick, I didn't notice. Since he disappeared into the terminal, he missed out oh his tip.

We had all our luggage accounted for in baggage claim, and the porter messed up by carrying two bags to the taxi, instead of pushing his dolly to the cab.

The cruise contract didn't mention the missing baggage form requirement. We checked.

Edited by knittinggirl

Happened to us on our 1st cruise.

Our garment bag with red ribbons etc. on it were in a pile of bags, with people ready to go out of the terminal. I spotted it on our walk to the area our luggage was to be in!!! They could not believe it wasn't theirs!!!:rolleyes: We had tags with our name on it etc. They did not check it?

Your bags need to stand out!! Make them ugly and they won't be mistaken. Happens at airports all the time as well. If it is a simple bag with a tag it can look like all the other red, blue, black bags. It has to stand out so it looks Different.

Edited by CVU

Dear all

I need to update you on my situation.

I spoke with my travel agent who said he would send a couple of emails out to his contacts in RCCL and he also passed to me the guest relations email.

So i typed up an email, explaining in full detail all what had occurred and also the impact of loosing my bag. At the same time i copied in the CEO Michael Bayley.

Today i have just received an email from his office telling me that my bag has been found and giving me all the details of the shipping by FEDEX to the UK.

I was also given a $75.00 on board credit to be used on my next cruise in the speciality restaurant of my choice.

So, thank you RCCL for finding my bag but most importantly for restoring my faith in fellow passengers, no it was not stolen but misplaced.

OK, so all is well, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all, enjoy all your future cruises.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Best wishes