Change to dining times

cruiser1955

So if, for example, you arrive early at the theatre with your mother, you get seats at the front to assist with hearing, and then go to the back to borrow the loop device - is that acceptable? Because an awful lot of replies to this thread seem to be on the lines of "you're elderly and infirm, so get out of my way".

Because an awful lot of replies to this thread seem to be on the lines of "you're elderly and infirm, so get out of my way".

Where do you get that from? I can't see any that say that.

If you are using the loop system it shouldn't matter where you sit so rather than make your mother walk all the way to the front, why not sit at the back? Or, if you need to sit at the front, why not pick up the loop device on your way in seeing as you have arrived early?

Its great to see that the Christmas Spirit is in abundance on the Forum as usual.

The fact is that the problem isn't with people keeping a seat for their partner it is with people "reserving" a whole lot of seats.

I can't understand why there is so much aggro. People being fair-minded, reasonable, considerate and respectful would go a long way in avoiding animosity. Not a lot to ask for really.

Its great to see that the Christmas Spirit is in abundance on the Forum as usual.

The fact is that the problem isn't with people keeping a seat for their partner it is with people "reserving" a whole lot of seats.

I can't understand why there is so much aggro. People being fair-minded, reasonable, considerate and respectful would go a long way in avoiding animosity. Not a lot to ask for really.

Couldn't agree more on both counts.

There are, unfortunately, just a few people on the forum who have lost (if they ever had it) the abilty of disagreeing in a polite and acceptable way. I hope I dont have the misfortune to meet them when I cruise!

Where do you get that from? I can't see any that say that.

If you are using the loop system it shouldn't matter where you sit so rather than make your mother walk all the way to the front, why not sit at the back? Or, if you need to sit at the front, why not pick up the loop device on your way in seeing as you have arrived early?

Deafness doesn't work like that. Using the loop does not automatically give people perfect hearing - it helps, but doesn't remove the need for lip reading. And lip reading at long range is not easy. As for picking up the device on the way in, that's all very well, but how long does she have to stand there waiting? The device may be somewhere else, or the batteries may be flat and they need a fresh one from reception, or there may not be anyone at the sound desk at the time.

Your post shows that, in common with many others earlier on the thread, you believe that being elderly and infirm is not an excuse for receiving special consideration. If the young and fit get to the front before the old and infirm, then tough luck old folks, go and sit somewhere else. Just remember that one day, you might be grateful for a bit of special consideration for yourself.

Deafness doesn't work like that. Using the loop does not automatically give people perfect hearing - it helps, but doesn't remove the need for lip reading. And lip reading at long range is not easy. As for picking up the device on the way in, that's all very well, but how long does she have to stand there waiting? The device may be somewhere else, or the batteries may be flat and they need a fresh one from reception, or there may not be anyone at the sound desk at the time.

Your post shows that, in common with many others earlier on the thread, you believe that being elderly and infirm is not an excuse for receiving special consideration. If the young and fit get to the front before the old and infirm, then tough luck old folks, go and sit somewhere else. Just remember that one day, you might be grateful for a bit of special consideration for yourself.

That's not my belief at all, just your perception which is wrong. On most ships there are seats specially reserved for people with disabilties. I would not seek to occupy one of these seats, but if I arrive at a nearly full theatre then as far as I'm concerned I have just as much right to see the show as anyone else and any unoccupied seat is fair game, irrespective of the stories that people might give as to why they are reserving a seat. Mostly it's just that, stories. Usually the seat is being reserved for someone who is arriving late.

That's not my belief at all, just your perception which is wrong. On most ships there are seats specially reserved for people with disabilties. I would not seek to occupy one of these seats, but if I arrive at a nearly full theatre then as far as I'm concerned I have just as much right to see the show as anyone else and any unoccupied seat is fair game, irrespective of the stories that people might give as to why they are reserving a seat. Mostly it's just that, stories. Usually the seat is being reserved for someone who is arriving late.

Your specific objection in this case is that you don't think an elderly, deaf person should be allowed to sit at the front waiting for her companion to bring her listening device. This is not about taking the last seat in a crowded theatre, this is about survival of the fittest; and if for any reason someone is in need of special consideration because of infirmity or disability, that special consideration is not going to come from you.

Your specific objection in this case is that you don't think an elderly, deaf person should be allowed to sit at the front waiting for her companion to bring her listening device. This is not about taking the last seat in a crowded theatre, this is about survival of the fittest; and if for any reason someone is in need of special consideration because of infirmity or disability, that special consideration is not going to come from you.

Just shows how wrong you can be. I would be the first to help out a disabled person. I would suggest that you learn to judge yourself before judging others. You have no idea whether I or my partner have a disability, nor do you know how considerate I am. So confine yourself to the issues at hand instead of making offensive remarks

Just shows how wrong you can be. I would be the first to help out a disabled person. I would suggest that you learn to judge yourself before judging others. You have no idea whether I or my partner have a disability, nor do you know how considerate I am. So confine yourself to the issues at hand instead of making offensive remarks

I am very glad to hear it. Your earlier remarks on this thread definitely gave me the idea that you would not allow a disabled person to reserve a seat at the front of the theatre while waiting for a carer to sort out the equipment; and I think I had good reason for interpreting them that way. I am sorry I misunderstood all your earlier remarks and am happy to know that you would in fact agree with a reservation in those circumstances.

Couldn't agree more on both counts.

There are, unfortunately, just a few people on the forum who have lost (if they ever had it) the abilty of disagreeing in a polite and acceptable way. I hope I dont have the misfortune to meet them when I cruise!

I agree and It makes me think twice about looking at the forum; who needs this in their life? “I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.” -Gandhi, how wise.

Why is it that if Celebrity are so good !!!,

there is a long thread on the Celebrity tab of pax giving their reasons for jumping ship !!!

All cruise lines have good and bad points. Celebrity are better than P&O at some things and vice versa. At the end of the day, they all do pretty much the same thing in slightly different ways. But everything is subjective anyway.

Speaking of jumping ship, we were on Celebrity Eclipse a few years ago, just returning to Southampton, when a crew member through himself overboard just as we were entering the English Channel.

I can't understand why people are criticising those cruisers who want to be first down for their evening meal. Its their holiday and if they want to eat early surely they can ... its not like they are putting towels on sun loungers - they're keeping to the proper dining times. :confused:

Similarly, what's wrong with cruisers who may prefer certain tables - we always asked for a certain 'group' of tables last year on Britannia as we loved the location and staff (and we were on Freedom Dining). Most nights we had a cocktail and waited if needs be. That's the great thing about cruising, you can do what you want to suit you --- within reason of course :)

Re the earlier times for the meals - I can't see much of a difference re the time to be honest. I do think it will be easier for those cruisers who like the shows. People will either go with it when they book, move to the later time or Freedom Dining.

Happy Christmas everyone - whatever your meal time preference. :D

Why can't you EVER get an honest answer from P&O. I heard dining times were changing and as I have a booking on the Oceana rang to find out if it would be so on our cruise. I was assured it was just for the ONE cruise. Apparently it would seem it wasn't just for the one cruise, and as I have first sitting I'm afraid 6pm is much too early. I'll be back on the phone to change to 8pm I think.

Why can't you EVER get an honest answer from P&O. I heard dining times were changing and as I have a booking on the Oceana rang to find out if it would be so on our cruise. I was assured it was just for the ONE cruise. Apparently it would seem it wasn't just for the one cruise, and as I have first sitting I'm afraid 6pm is much too early. I'll be back on the phone to change to 8pm I think.

I dont think its a case of giving an honest answer I think for many years whatever the reason you phone P&O Customer Services at Southampton you can ring 3 times and speak to 3 different people and get 3 different answers they dont seem to know what their left and right hands are doing and is always different.

I dont think its a case of giving an honest answer I think for many years whatever the reason you phone P&O Customer Services at Southampton you can ring 3 times and speak to 3 different people and get 3 different answers they dont seem to know what their left and right hands are doing and is always different.

You are of course right. I've said that to my husband many times. They really don't do they.:(

I can't understand why people are criticising those cruisers who want to be first down for their evening meal. Its their holiday and if they want to eat early surely they can ... its not like they are putting towels on sun loungers - they're keeping to the proper dining times. :confused:

Similarly, what's wrong with cruisers who may prefer certain tables - we always asked for a certain 'group' of tables last year on Britannia as we loved the location and staff (and we were on Freedom Dining). Most nights we had a cocktail and waited if needs be. That's the great thing about cruising, you can do what you want to suit you --- within reason of course :)

Re the earlier times for the meals - I can't see much of a difference re the time to be honest. I do think it will be easier for those cruisers who like the shows. People will either go with it when they book, move to the later time or Freedom Dining.

Thank you for an empathetic post. Tolerance and acceptance that everyone has different expectations of their holidays is the key. Provided it doesn't impact on others comfort and enjoyment of their holiday, then I don't see the problem. If people are prepared to queue then how does that matter to anyone else? Just as well we don't all want to do the same thing at the same time! Now that would cause problems!

Happy Christmas to you too and best wishes for 2016 to everyone.

Edited by kruzseeka

Well said Presto, thanks for bringing it back to the original subject! Sorry I ever mentioned seat saving now! Mind you some people could pick a fight in an empty room :D:D

Well it's OK if you are on a table for 2, but there is no point in queuing at 6 pm for a 6.30 sitting, if the others on your table are at the back of the queue! You won't get served any earlier than if you waited until the rush is over.

Hi, I see your point, but if they want to let them. perhaps they are typically British and just love a queue. Perhaps they want to make a reservation and then go for a cocktail or 2 before the meal ????

Have to say, at 6 pm we are usually relaxing - hubby snoring and me on the balcony, glass in hand, with kindle, enjoying a sailaway ....... oh to be there now :-)

Well said Presto, thanks for bringing it back to the original subject! Sorry I ever mentioned seat saving now! Mind you some people could pick a fight in an empty room :D:D

Am obviously full of Christmas cheer and in a good mood - hic ;)

Thank you for an empathetic post. Tolerance and acceptance that everyone has different expectations of their holidays is the key. Provided it doesn't impact on others comfort and enjoyment of their holiday, then I don't see the problem. If people are prepared to queue then how does that matter to anyone else? Just as well we don't all want to do the same thing at the same time! Now that would cause problems!

Happy Christmas to you too and best wishes for 2016 to everyone.

I will have to make empathy my New Year's resolution --- watch this space :)

Have a great Christmas and happy cruising for 2016 yourself ;)

Some people do a lot of things that I dont understand why they do it but thankfully we are all different and thats what makes the world go round. If we all thought the same and loved second sitting then where would we be it takes all sorts and whatever they do if they are happy doing it then it is up to them and is no concern of anyone else.