Guarantee ?

the plumbers wife

Technically they can move you up to the time of embarkation. Does it really happen? While I've read of them not assigning rooms until the last minute, I've not been able to confirm any last minute moves of gtys. I have seen last minute attempts at upsells as well as attempts to get people to reschedule their cruise--to literally agree to get off the boat within a couple weeks of their cruise date (when Princess has literally oversold the ship!)

...But I must be missing something re "guarantee" staterooms. Whenever I do a "dummy' booking, regardless of the category, selecting the guarantee (your cabin will be assigned) option, does not result in a price that is lower than if you choose your own. So, why would anyone take their chances with the guarantee option? Seems to me that the cruise lines would use this option to fill up all the least desirable staterooms/locations first ???

...VTX-Al

...But I must be missing something re "guarantee" staterooms. Whenever I do a "dummy' booking, regardless of the category, selecting the guarantee (your cabin will be assigned) option, does not result in a price that is lower than if you choose your own. So, why would anyone take their chances with the guarantee option? Seems to me that the cruise lines would use this option to fill up all the least desirable staterooms/locations first ???

...VTX-Al

It does during sales.

Booked Balcony GTY last 2 cruises.

First time: Grand Med. Was upgraded free twice, finally to a mini suite.

Last time: Got an excellent cabin mid ship on Baja deck. pricing that on Princess website, that cabin would have been quite a bit more expensive, as the more desirable misdhip cabins are always priced higher.

Will book GTY next time for sure.

Dixon:cool:

Booking gty does not typically give you a lower price, but it means that you will cruise in at least that category OR something nicer. GTY is typically available when a large percentage of the cabins in that category have been assigned. SO you roll your chances of getting a better cabin vs. getting to chose one on your own.

For what it's worth, this was my recent experience with a guarantee cabin on our upcoming 10-day Mexico cruise.

We book a forward obstructed view stateroom for $649.00 per person. There were no cabins available in that category, hence the guarantee. About 30 days before the cruise, still no cabin, but we got the call from the Upsell Fairy. The offer was an upsell, to an aft balcony cabin, for an extra $149.00 per person. We took the offer, as this was giving us a cabin with a list price of $1399.00, for $798.00 We had the TA leave the booking as available for upgrades, but the ship is pretty much sold out now (except for some mini-suites) so we are not holding our breath for an upgrade.

It always possible though.:D

...VTX-Al

Guarantees are usually for the lowest category on any room type and you can only go up. We have only booked guarantee three times. The first two times we got exactly what we booked. For Feb. on the Royal we booked a BZ guarantee and have been given a midship DW. The room we got is now almost double what we paid, so we are happy.

FWIW we often book the lowest category Obstructed OV on Grand Class ships and are quite satisfied with them if we select our own. We would never go guarantee in ObOV as there is too great a chance to be moved up to one that is largely blocked.