Carnival cruiser does NCL help plz

hockeyluver

By the time I go on NCL Spirit I will have done 17 Carnival cruises and no other cruises with any other cruiseline.

Can you plz fill me in on the different things I need to prepare for? Do you have a sail & sign type card and use it the same way? We have the free beverage pkg does that also include the "frozen umbrella drinks" ? Do the showers have shampoo and body wash ? Any other info would be greatly appreciated thank you !!

Yes there is a sail and sign card. You can get frozen drinks as well, up to $15 dollars, although they don't put an umbrella in your drink. The bathroom has shampoo and shower gel, but there is no conditioner.

Also if you like to have a robe you have to ask for it, otherwise they don't leave it in the room like Carnival does.

By the time I go on NCL Spirit I will have done 17 Carnival cruises and no other cruises with any other cruiseline.

Can you plz fill me in on the different things I need to prepare for? Do you have a sail & sign type card and use it the same way? We have the free beverage pkg does that also include the "frozen umbrella drinks" ? Do the showers have shampoo and body wash ? Any other info would be greatly appreciated thank you !!

We just got off the Spirit if you have any other questions that are specific we will try to answer those. The dining guide on the NCL website will fill you in on the free/fee restaurants. The rumor is some are going ala carte early next year though so some may change for the fee restaurants.

What took you so long? :p There are a few differences I've noticed. I really like being able to pick up the debarkation tags at Guest Services myself according to what time we want to debark. Since we are usually never in a hurry to get off, we take one of the latest times available. I've done ATD on Carnival once only and was not a big fan. To me, Freestyle is completely different on NCL and works well. We have never had much of a wait for dinner no matter what time we've shown up. And, you can reserve specialty restaurants ahead of time, but we were also able to change the day and/or time of some of ours with no problem once we boarded. I'm not sure if you'll be going to their private island, but I liked it, too. Just remember to keep walking once you get off the tender as the beaches farther away are much quieter. IMHO, NCL's evening production shows are better than Carnival's. We've had equally good and friendly stewards also. I hope you enjoy your cruise. :)

Heather

Other than "freestyle dining" everything is pretty much the same.

Thank you everyone for your replies,

My booking on NCL was actually to help a friend out. Her cabin mate canceled on her, so instead of her having to pay more and go solo my hubby and I discussed it......... and being a good friend we decided for me to take up the hardship and cruise with her :p :p good thing I did, since her son proposed to my daughter Saturday night :D :D

Figured this would be a good way to see if I enjoy NCL and if so we will book again. Just a little concerned because I have only cruised the Carnival way.

Leave the tuxedo t-shirt and sequined sweatshirts at home. You don't need to wear fancy clothes in order to slop down food at the sit down. But that doesn't mean you can show up in wife beaters or moo moos.

Also, refrain from getting into brawls, although with the UBP, anything probably goes now.

Leave the tuxedo t-shirt and sequined sweatshirts at home. You don't need to wear fancy clothes in order to slop down food at the sit down. But that doesn't mean you can show up in wife beaters or moo moos.

Also, refrain from getting into brawls, although with the UBP, anything probably goes now.

Wow, are you all that snobbish? I am a frequent RCI and Carnival cruiser who recently booked my first cruise on NCL to give it a try. I liked the idea of the solo cabins. It was attitudes like this one that prevented me from booking NCL earlier.

" :eek:" that was really uncalled for !!

I'm platinum on Carnival and have cruised once on NCL and have my second NCL cruise booked. As others have said, you'll find the lines similar--they're far more alike than different. I chose to sail NCL for my first solo cruise and really enjoyed it. I booked NCL because I liked the idea of eating at a variety of restaurants. Loved it!

I found the service on NCL to be just as good as what I'd experienced on Carnival. What I liked better--other than the dining options--were a couple little things like the wheel by the door to let your steward know he or she can make up the room or that you don't want to be disturbed and the way they welcome you back to the ship when you're in port (it's like a party on the pier :D). What I missed were a few very small things, including the nightly towel animals; there were towel animals but not nightly. I absolutely didn't miss the frequency of announcements!

If you're a fan of Carnival steakhouses (I've always eaten at the steakhouse once or twice each cruise) then try Cagney's. I think Carnival's are slightly better, but Cagney's is good. All the specialties are worth trying (except La Cucina, IMHO, to which I wouldn't return).

I rarely go to shows and never hang out on the pool deck or participate in activities like trivia so can't do a comparison there for you. The spa on NCL was great and I liked being able to get a spa pass and visit each evening.

Again, you'll find the experience very similar. I hope you enjoy your first NCL cruise!

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

I'm platinum on Carnival and have cruised once on NCL and have my second NCL cruise booked. As others have said, you'll find the lines similar--they're far more alike than different. I chose to sail NCL for my first solo cruise and really enjoyed it. I booked NCL because I liked the idea of eating at a variety of restaurants. Loved it!

I found the service on NCL to be just as good as what I'd experienced on Carnival. What I liked better--other than the dining options--were a couple little things like the wheel by the door to let your steward know he or she can make up the room or that you don't want to be disturbed and the way they welcome you back to the ship when you're in port (it's like a party on the pier :D). What I missed were a few very small things, including the nightly towel animals; there were towel animals but not nightly. I absolutely didn't miss the frequency of announcements!

If you're a fan of Carnival steakhouses (I've always eaten at the steakhouse once or twice each cruise) then try Cagney's. I think Carnival's are slightly better, but Cagney's is good. All the specialties are worth trying (except La Cucina, IMHO, to which I wouldn't return).

I rarely go to shows and never hang out on the pool deck or participate in activities like trivia so can't do a comparison there for you. The spa on NCL was great and I liked being able to get a spa pass and visit each evening.

Again, you'll find the experience very similar. I hope you enjoy your first NCL cruise!

Thank you,

I haven't done the Steakhouse on Carnival yet, we will be doing it in February.

Only difference is while Carnival's card color refers to your VIFP status, NCL's card color is random UNLESS you're in a Suite/Haven.

Unless you're on a cruise with more than one embarkation point. Then your key card color corresponds with your embarkation port.

OP--what a great friend you are, lol! Hope you have a fantastic time. I've loved my two recent NCL cruises!

Thank you,

I haven't done the Steakhouse on Carnival yet, we will be doing it in February.

Just an FYI regarding the revolving knob thing a prior poster mentioned. Since you are going on the Spirit, they only have the spinning things on the suites. They use a small paper slip in the door lock for the other rooms - I think they had either make up room or don't disturb.

Thank you everyone for your replies,

My booking on NCL was actually to help a friend out. Her cabin mate canceled on her, so instead of her having to pay more and go solo my hubby and I discussed it......... and being a good friend we decided for me to take up the hardship and cruise with her :p :p good thing I did, since her son proposed to my daughter Saturday night :D :D

Figured this would be a good way to see if I enjoy NCL and if so we will book again. Just a little concerned because I have only cruised the Carnival way.

Congratulations and have fun! Now you two can spend time planning for the wedding!

--Michael

Just an FYI regarding the revolving knob thing a prior poster mentioned. Since you are going on the Spirit, they only have the spinning things on the suites. They use a small paper slip in the door lock for the other rooms - I think they had either make up room or don't disturb.

Well, there you go. I'm the one who mentioned it. It's such a small detail, but I really liked it! I was on the Jade and it's the only NCL ship I've been on so far so didn't know that wasn't a typical feature. On the Epic in March. :o Thanks for the correction--wouldn't want her cruise to be ruined when the dial/wheel wasn't there! LOL.

Well, there you go. I'm the one who mentioned it. It's such a small detail, but I really liked it! I was on the Jade and it's the only NCL ship I've been on so far so didn't know that wasn't a typical feature. On the Epic in March. :o Thanks for the correction--wouldn't want her cruise to be ruined when the dial/wheel wasn't there! LOL.

The Epic has the dial wheels, so you'll get to have them again. I've only been on the Epic and Pearl, and they both had them, so I assumed it was fleet wide, too! I love the wheels rather than a door hanger.

don't let people like this dissuade you.

social media like this captures the attention of 3 types of people.

1. the people that love everything about cruising and are obsessive about every detail
  2. the people who have an unreasonable expectation of cruising and find fault with everything and have to make sure everyone knows about the injustice of it all
  3. normal people who want to learn about cruising and get caught in the cross fire of the above 2 groups

i've only been on 2 cruises, going on my third, but i guess i'm a cruise light type of person, i make a good time where ever i go and look to find things i will enjoy. i try and step out of my comfort zone and try things i wouldn't normally. my first cruise i tried snorkling. last cruise i tried snails. this next cruise i'm trying a spa pass, saunas and steam rooms are a new concept to me. i'm no one to learn the cruise directors name and remember it, but many do an there are threads about that.

i truly believe most cruises are like the others, with minor differences. you may feel differently about NCL that the other cruise line, but i doubt it will be bad, but you may find a new thing you like or you may just feel meh and go back, either way i think you will have a good time.