Worth the "Upgrade" for $20?

TomAceEsq

I received an email for an upgrade offer for $20. It's still 10 weeks from sailing. Does this mean the cruise isn't selling well, and we can possibly expect another upgrade offer in the future? Is the $20 upgrade offer worth doing now?

We enjoy where we're at now since we only have rooms above and below us currently.

What say you?

I received an email for an upgrade offer for $20. It's still 10 weeks from sailing. Does this mean the cruise isn't selling well, and we can possibly expect another upgrade offer in the future? Is the $20 upgrade offer worth doing now?

We enjoy where we're at now since we only have rooms above and below us currently.

What say you?

What kind of upgrade is it? And $20? Yeah, I'd do it.

What say you?

More info is needed. What category stateroom are you currently booked in? What category was the upgrade offer for?

If you're going from inside to ocean view or ocean view to balcony, then yes it's worth it.

Ultimately, only you can decide.

I would want more information before answering that question..

What room type are you in now and where are they wanting to move you? You say it's only $20, but that could technically be a bad move if you are moving to a noisy area...

If you like you cabin choice you should think long and hard about it and also do some research about where the new cabin is located. Is is located with something noisy above or below? Too far forward could cause those to be seasick if they are easily bothered and maybe you are midship and would prefer that?

My daughter received a similar upgrade offer on her last cruise. It was from an OV to Balcony and they had preselected the balcony cabin. She wasn't happy with the selected balcony so when she called they offered several other balconies and she was able to select one more to her liking. May want to call and see if there are multiple cabins to pick from and have the deckplans open on your device so you can check the location of the upgrade.

We once got a free upgrade at the dock (different cruise line) and were moved to an allegedly better location with the same cabin type. It was TERRIBLE. Location didn't work for us at all, in fact we had initially deliberately chosen not to be in that location.

Had we realized what was happening we would have loudly refused the upgrade.

In your case, check the deck plan and decide if the new cabin will $20 better suit your needs.

I agree whatever you do check the location before accepting an upgrade/change. Carnival's definition of a better location may not be the same as yours. My PVP always offers me a higher deck and many upgrades offers I get are on the Spa deck, but I prefer being on the deck closest to the Atrium bar/entertainment and a balcony closer to the water line. It's all personal preference and you should choose what's best for you.

We refused a $20 "upgrade" because it was from a 4k to an OV. No, thanks!

Totally agree...why would they even consider an OV as an upgrade from a 4K ! :eek:

Love the 4K's, as you can see in my signature, we have spent many days in them, and have another 14 booked next March on the Pride.

What say you?

Well, if it is from plastic cups to glass cups - no. If it is from an inside to a suite - yes.

Apologies for just returning to the thread; I work at Denver International Airport and, needless to say, it's a busy time of year.

We received two emails within ten minutes of each other, and when my wife logged on to view the upgrade, it told her the offer had expired. I plan on calling since the email says call on or before the 30th, but should I expect them to tell me it was a glitch or it had, indeed, expired after one whole hour?

Any similar experiences?

Edited by TomAceEsq

Apologies for just returning to the thread; I work at Denver International Airport and, needless to say, it's a busy time of year.

We received two emails within ten minutes of each other, and when my wife logged on to view the upgrade, it told her the offer had expired. I plan on calling since the email says call on or before the 30th, but should I expect them to tell me it was a glitch or it had, indeed, expired after one whole hour?

Any similar experiences?

Usually they send those emails to a bunch of people and only a few cabins are available. Last year I got an email, but didn't see it for a few hours. I followed the link and it said the offer expired. Two days later I got the same email again and followed the link, there were 8 cabins available. I made a quick phone call to the better half, logged in again and only two were left.

Any similar experiences?

You probably missed out. Usually they will move on to the next person if the offer is not accepted quickly.

BTW you can call Carnival 24/7.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

what is a 4K?

thanks

A 4K is on the Spirit class ship only and is an interior room that is not truly an interior room. It has French doors that open inward into the room. Most of them have little view because the lifeboats are blocking the view. A few are between lifeboats and have a modest view of the ocean. They are a good value moneywise.

I got an upgrade email offer from an oceanview to a balcony last winter. By the time I saw it (I think it was the next day),and I clicked through, it said "expired". I called anyway. The CCL rep said no problem, you can still get the upgrade! So, it's worth calling to check out.

I got an upgrade email offer from an oceanview to a balcony last winter. By the time I saw it (I think it was the next day),and I clicked through, it said "expired". I called anyway. The CCL rep said no problem, you can still get the upgrade! So, it's worth calling to check out.

Good to know expired doesn't always mean expired and it is worth it to call.

We once got a free upgrade at the dock (different cruise line) and were moved to an allegedly better location with the same cabin type. It was TERRIBLE. Location didn't work for us at all, in fact we had initially deliberately chosen not to be in that location.

Had we realized what was happening we would have loudly refused the upgrade.

In your case, check the deck plan and decide if the new cabin will $20 better suit your needs.

After selecting my own cabin I've turned down free upgrade numerous times. Mostly they're just higher floors in the ship and mostly a lousy location. SO, be careful what you accept.

After selecting my own cabin I've turned down free upgrade numerous times. Mostly they're just higher floors in the ship and mostly a lousy location. SO, be careful what you accept.

Only once did we get a free upgrade. Second cruise on the Paradise. We booked an Oceanview. When we got to the port (Miami at the time) we were told that we had been upgraded to a suite! Worked out great as that was our first anniversary cruise. Hasn't happened since. Sometimes they are crappy...but not always!