Dry dock

jw_406

I read on one of the Marina roll calls that the Marina will be in dry dock May 28 - June 7, 2016. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) I'm booked on a June 2016 Marina sailing and I'm curious what occurs during dry dock -- positives: more extensive deep cleaning, etc. or potential negatives: new crew, etc. It certainly won't affect the fabulous experience that I'm anxiously anticipating (all 4 of us traveling together are new to Oceania)... Just curious. :)

Doesn't technically a dry dock mean that it goes in a stall that can have the water drained, then they can work on the underside, propeller etc, without having to use divers?

Lots of refurbishment can be done without being in dry dock. Of course there is a lot of things that can be done while in dry dock, but I would think to actually do a dry dock would mean they are going to do something mechanical, or perhaps to paint the hull.

Doesn't technically a dry dock mean that it goes in a stall that can have the water drained, then they can work on the underside, propeller etc, without having to use divers?

I think the term is loosely used most people would not know what a wet dock is

but yes the true dry dock is where the water is drained out for hull work etc..

Generally in dry dock they sand down the hull to the steel and repaint it. This takes care of barnacles etc and the maintenance of the paintwork. (Learnt this from one of the GMs) at the same time they take care of any engineering type problems and upkeep. On board change carpets (our lovely butler on the April TA, Sandeep, was to be head of the carpet removing crew when Riviera went to dry dock immediately after our cruise), paint etc etc.

Only those crew scheduled for rotation off the ship leave. The others are put to work. Once a crew member said that when the ship is in dry dock in the Bahamas they party on the decks at night and some even slept outside too. Riviera's drydock in April was in Marseilles - so not as warm!

Anyway, knowing that Marina is scheduled for dry dock in 2016 answers a question I had! we'll be on board in February 17 and everything should be "flambant neuf" as we say here - brand new!

I think that the takeaway here is that the terms dry dock and refurbishment are used interchangeably, these days, although they have slightly different meanings.

This is the Marina in the Genoa dry-dock in which she was constructed:

Marina-470x352.jpg -but as you can imagine, laying supports for the ship so that she is not damaged while out of the water (note the white blocks, which are themselves the size of refrigerators, beneath the keel) is immensely complicated.

Anti-fouling paint is fairly efficient today, so actual dry-docks occur every three or four years, and in the interim years, the ships occasionally visit a shipyard for repairs and/or upgrades which would be too costly, intrusive or complicated to accomplish while hosting passengers.

Edited by StanandJim

I think that the takeaway here is that the terms dry dock and refurbishment are used interchangeably, these days, although they have slightly different meanings.

This is the Marina in the Genoa dry-dock in which she was constructed:

Marina-470x352.jpg -but as you can imagine, laying supports for the ship so that she is not damaged while out of the water (note the white blocks, which are themselves the size of refrigerators, beneath the keel) is immensely complicated.

Anti-fouling paint is fairly efficient today, so actual dry-docks occur every three or four years, and in the interim years, the ships occasionally visit a shipyard for repairs and/or upgrades which would be too costly, intrusive or complicated to accomplish while hosting passengers.

so the latter would be the "wet docks" ?? I suppose so...

The hull of the ship is painted with a paint called anti-fouling and is "self-ablative paint" THat means as the ship cooks along through the sea, the water-to-hull friction wears away the paint and with it any alge build up. They put on 3 to 5 coats of paint which will wear away in 10 to 14 months.

However even more important is the replacement of "anodes" that placed in the hull below the water line act to ground the ship and prevent electrolysis of the steel parts on the ship.... They are Zink and like battery plates they erode.

Finaly the azapods get serviced, brushes, relays...solenoids... bearings... oil change.......

Just in case any of you wanted to try out for jepoardy any time soon

Oh, MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL