Thinking of a Douro River Cruise? Please Consider...

Rosethorn40

Interesting, when I researched renting a car in Madrid and dropping if off in Lisbon, I ran in to a prohibitive price. Not sure if policies have changed regarding car rentals, since I just ran a test rent a car on kayak Porto drop-off in Madrid and cost was similar to what you found.

Same here. When we were picking up in one country and dropping off in another the cost was prohibitive. If we could have got this kind of deal, no question we would have driven from Lisbon to Madrid.

Cole

Even same location drop-off can be much more expensive than you'd think. We're scheduled to pay Avis about US$160/day in September for a small van to drive on a 4-day trip from downtown Lisbon to the Algarve and back. If anyone knows a better deal, please let me know.

Thanks.

Even same location drop-off can be much more expensive than you'd think. We're scheduled to pay Avis about US$160/day in September for a small van to drive on a 4-day trip from downtown Lisbon to the Algarve and back. If anyone knows a better deal, please let me know.

Thanks.

Did you try checking on Kayak?

• 2 weeks later...

My DH and I are excited to take the AMA Douro cruise in August 2016 (warm I know but it will be cooler than Texas!). There is one optional excursion - a Flamenco Dance. Neither of us are fans of flamenco but if it is really good and something not to be missed I want to take it. Was it "cheesy?" Where did it take place? Was it something you enjoyed?

My DH and I are excited to take the AMA Douro cruise in August 2016 (warm I know but it will be cooler than Texas!). There is one optional excursion - a Flamenco Dance. Neither of us are fans of flamenco but if it is really good and something not to be missed I want to take it. Was it "cheesy?" Where did it take place? Was it something you enjoyed?

Are you taking "Port Wine & Flamenco" or "Enticing Duoro"? I couldn't find the word "flamenco" in the descriptions of either cruise -- odd since it is in the name of one of them! But I think of flamenco in Seville, not Madrid or Portugal. Where is it being offered, and is there an extra charge?

Did you try checking on Kayak?

I did and switched to a (very) slightly smaller vehicle and found it for about 1/3 the original price. Kayak's map feature allowed me to easily compare area prices for similar vehicles.

Thanks for the suggestion - it paid off for us.

... I couldn't find the word "flamenco" in the descriptions of either cruise ... Where is it being offered, and is there an extra charge?

It's part of the featured excursion to Salamanca from Vega de Terrón. I've heard both good and bad from several cruisers - I guess it depends on who your particular line hires for the show.

Edited by Ka Honu

• 2 weeks later...