Thinking of a Douro River Cruise? Please Consider...

Rosethorn40

Just returned from a Douro River cruise and enjoyed it tremendously (full review coming soon). However, even though we loved it, we did hear some grumbling on board. Apparently some people didn't read the itinerary carefully and were taken back by several things. I do not feel that the following were negatives, but you may want to consider my observations before you book:

With the exception of Porto and one tiny town along the Douro most of the sites require taking a bus. The bus rides can take from 30 minutes to an hour and half. This is because the Douro was not a water highway like the Danube or Rhine.

Most of the sites have steps or inclines covered in cobblestones. If mobility is an issue you may find it difficult to get around.

Portugal is a very Catholic country. Many points of interest are of churches, or museums with religious artifacts. Along the same line, the Douro is famed for it's vineyards, there are a number of wine tastings.

The Portuguese diet relies heavily on fish and pork. The average Portuguese eats codfish three (3) times a week. I ate more codfish in the 9 days I was there than I had eaten in the last 10 years. Beef is not widely eaten. I thought the food flavorful, but subtle in it's use of spices and herbs. Most locals eat dinner late by American standards. If going out and about on your own keep in mind that many restaurants may not open until 7:30 at night.

The crew from Captain on down will be Portuguese. I think that's because the Portuguese government controls the river cruise industry on the Douro and the cruise lines are considered "operators." I thought the Portuguese people we met to be warm and friendly, with English widely spoken. That included the staff on board our ship (But I overheard someone complaining about the fact that the staff was Portuguese???-Not sure why that was considered an issue).

If you have questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks for posting. We have friends very recently back from this itinerary with AMA who loved it. They enjoyed the slower pace and found the food and wine wonderful. They have done several river cruises and it was interesting for me to pick their brains about the differences.

We seriously looked at the Duoro for 2016 and decided against it, specifically due to ports requiring more bus rides that we care for and then no night sailing because of the river not being navigable. We are very active and felt that the pace would be too slow for our liking. While the scenery looks beautiful and the food and wine very attractive, we are not interested in a river cruise where we cannot be in port the majority of our days; also, walking into city center at night is a big plus for us as we like to enjoy the local culture.

We will still visit Portugal but will do so on an independent land trip versus the river as it fits better with our preferences.

Edited by caviargal

Just returned from a Douro River cruise and enjoyed it tremendously (full review coming soon). However, even though we loved it, we did hear some grumbling on board. Apparently some people didn't read the itinerary carefully and were taken back by several things. I do not feel that the following were negatives, but you may want to consider my observations before you book:

With the exception of Porto and one tiny town along the Douro most of the sites require taking a bus. The bus rides can take from 30 minutes to an hour and half. This is because the Douro was not a water highway like the Danube or Rhine.

Most of the sites have steps or inclines covered in cobblestones. If mobility is an issue you may find it difficult to get around.

Portugal is a very Catholic country. Many points of interest are of churches, or museums with religious artifacts. Along the same line, the Douro is famed for it's vineyards, there are a number of wine tastings.

The Portuguese diet relies heavily on fish and pork. The average Portuguese eats codfish three (3) times a week. I ate more codfish in the 9 days I was there than I had eaten in the last 10 years. Beef is not widely eaten. I thought the food flavorful, but subtle in it's use of spices and herbs. Most locals eat dinner late by American standards. If going out and about on your own keep in mind that many restaurants may not open until 7:30 at night.

The crew from Captain on down will be Portuguese. I think that's because the Portuguese government controls the river cruise industry on the Douro and the cruise lines are considered "operators." I thought the Portuguese people we met to be warm and friendly, with English widely spoken. That included the staff on board our ship (But I overheard someone complaining about the fact that the staff was Portuguese???-Not sure why that was considered an issue).

If you have questions please feel free to ask.

We did this cruise with Uniworld 2 years ago and have done a total of 5 river cruises - I can truthfully say that the Douro would easily be one we would repeat. The bus rides were very scenic (in our opinion), even the longest one to Spain. We absolutely loved being able to sail during the day and enjoy the beautiful scenery. We had no problem with the staff being Portuguese. In fact, it added a little something to the cruise in that they were great sources of information. And the wine and Port!!!!! Outstanding.:D

Cole

We did this cruise with Uniworld 2 years ago and have done a total of 5 river cruises - I can truthfully say that the Douro would easily be one we would repeat. The bus rides were very scenic (in our opinion), even the longest one to Spain. We absolutely loved being able to sail during the day and enjoy the beautiful scenery. We had no problem with the staff being Portuguese. In fact, it added a little something to the cruise in that they were great sources of information. And the wine and Port!!!!! Outstanding.:D

Cole

I agree with you 100%! DH and I were ready to do it again, and Porto is my new favorite city, and I loved the port wine. I was amazed by some of the complaints I heard, but I realized different strokes for different folks, so posted what I heard some as describing as drawbacks so maybe someone may find it useful in deciding if the Douro is for them.

I was amazed by some of the complaints I heard, but I realized different strokes for different folks, so posted what I heard some as describing as drawbacks so maybe someone may find it useful in deciding if the Douro is for them.

This is very true and that is why this information is so important. We were very close to booking this itinerary with AMA and there was not of detailed information available on this itinerary. I was grateful that my friend sailed the Duoro just before we were going to book as I was able to ask very specific questions about the experience.

I have no doubt that the scenery and wine is fabulous but, for us, it is just too much time spent daytime sailing and on buses.

This is very true and that is why this information is so important. We were very close to booking this itinerary with AMA and there was not of detailed information available on this itinerary. I was grateful that my friend sailed the Duoro just before we were going to book as I was able to ask very specific questions about the experience.

I have no doubt that the scenery and wine is fabulous but, for us, it is just too much time spent daytime sailing and on buses.

You may want to consider flying into Lisbon and renting a car and drive up to Porto, and from there drive or take the train along the Douro. The highways are very good. The roads to go to some of the sights twist & turn (May need nerves of steel), but again are very good. It was in the old quarters of towns that the roads became narrow and more difficult to navigate.

we were just in Spain and Portugal (early December) and the weather was beautiful...wondering what is the latest you would cruise the Douro, as I was told further up along the river it can get chillier than Porto. Is end of November departure date "too cold" - or would you opt for beginning of November as being better? The price drops significantly for end of November.

Carol

The bus trips on the Po river cruise was the main reason we switched from that particular itinerary to the Douro, in addition to many people reviewing and saying it wasn't really a river "cruise" just the ship being parked in the Grand Canal and long bus trips. But, Portugal is a beautiful country whether you see it on your own or on a river cruise. :)

Cole

The bus trips on the Po river cruise was the main reason we switched from that particular itinerary to the Douro, in addition to many people reviewing and saying it wasn't really a river "cruise" just the ship being parked in the Grand Canal and long bus trips. But, Portugal is a beautiful country whether you see it on your own or on a river cruise. :)

Cole

I agree about the Po. Unless one is really all about Venice (which we are not ) then that is the furthest itinerary possible from an actual river cruise. It is more of a floating hotel with bus trips. We love Italy but that is the last way we would ever choose to visit our favorite destination.

We definitely plan to visit Portugal one of these days, and more research is required on my end to figure out the best way for us to see it, our way.

Edited by caviargal

we were just in Spain and Portugal (early December) and the weather was beautiful...wondering what is the latest you would cruise the Douro, as I was told further up along the river it can get chillier than Porto. Is end of November departure date "too cold" - or would you opt for beginning of November as being better? The price drops significantly for end of November.

Carol

From what I understand, as you move up the Douro it normally does get cooler. However, we were very fortunate in the weather (Our dates were December 10-20). Every day was in the 60's, with mostly partly cloudy skies, but almost no rain. I believe that December is the rainiest time of year in Portugal, and the average temperature in the high 50's to mid 60's. DH and I were fine with long sleeve shirts and vests most of the time. Most people wore some kind of warm jacket. Saw no one wearing gloves, and very few hats.

Personally I would go at the end of November and save the money, but that's a personal preference. In early November you may get to see some late harvest of grapes. Other than a passing truck, with the back filled with grapes did I get to witness anything to do with the grape harvest. However, I did get to enjoy the fruits of prior year harvests! We did see olives still on trees.

We did go to one town that normally has extremes in weather. It can get over 100 in summer, and around 10 degrees in winter, but the day we were there is was very nice.

Carol

I do believe that most of the lines sailing the Douro stop in November. Viking is the only one that I know of that sails in December. There were 2 more cruises after ours and then they don't start up again until March. Currently Viking has 2 ships on the Douro (Adding a third in 2016), but only the Hemming was sailing the week we were on. Demand is probably low in December. On the plus side, we had the river to ourselves, and most tourist sites.

My two cents, which I've said some of before. We love Portugal, particularly Porto, have been there twice. Have done sights similar to the ones on the bus tours, I'm sure, but haven't gone inland east along through the wine district. I think I would enjoy the less frenetic pace of perhaps just staying on the boat sometimes and watching the scenery and skip a church or two. Just a thought. We also have also experienced the cobblestones in Porto and other small towns, so I'm thinking perhaps it couldn't get much worse than that. Husband's arthritis limits him a bit, but he gets around most places just fine.

We have really enjoyed Portuguese food, but it does take some getting used to. And the Portuguese people we love too, once you figure them out. Easier for us perhaps because we lived in Portuguese neighbourhoods in Toronto for almost 30 years.

This is one we're considering for 2017, although right now the favorite is Normandy.

My two cents, which I've said some of before. We love Portugal, particularly Porto, have been there twice. Have done sights similar to the ones on the bus tours, I'm sure, but haven't gone inland east along through the wine district. I think I would enjoy the less frenetic pace of perhaps just staying on the boat sometimes and watching the scenery and skip a church or two. Just a thought. We also have also experienced the cobblestones in Porto and other small towns, so I'm thinking perhaps it couldn't get much worse than that. Husband's arthritis limits him a bit, but he gets around most places just fine.

We have really enjoyed Portuguese food, but it does take some getting used to. And the Portuguese people we love too, once you figure them out. Easier for us perhaps because we lived in Portuguese neighbourhoods in Toronto for almost 30 years.

This is one we're considering for 2017, although right now the favorite is Normandy.

I am also looking forward to this as a change of pace -- from the land tours I plan that DW has characterized as "death marches." We were thinking about 2017, but have held up while we consider a Safari [i.e. another death march...] :)

We are booked on Vantage's Portugal and Douro river for next May.

I have been to Lisbon in 1985, but DW has not. I loved Portugal. The people are very nice. I enjoyed the food and wine. The sites are interesting.

We are excited about the trip and river cruise. No problem with a little time on the bus. Also, I understand that the boat doesn't cruise at night, so you sail during the morning and tour in the afternoon.

I knew that when I booked. I look forward to siting on the deck in the morning watching the scenic river valley go by, then after lunch touring.

If interested, I finally finished uploading some of my photos on to my public Facebook page. Just click on the link and it should take you to the right set of photos.

Disclaimer: I am not a great photographer, and I don't have a fancy camera.

Thank you for sharing your pictures! Looking forward to seeing the beautiful Portuguese tiles, drinking wonderful Port wines and eating great food on our cruise next fall!

We are booked on Vantage's Portugal and Douro river for next May...
We are scheduled to leave 2 Apr 2016 for the Vantage Douro trip - I'll be glad to try to answer any specific questions you may have, as well as give general impressions. We are doing the 2 night Vantage post-extension in Porto (a good value at the no-extra-cost offer we got; a terrible value if you pay $499 per couple per night cost for 2 nights and a half day tour). We are still trying to decide if we will further extend on our own, perhaps with a rental car (we often go this route).

Many thanks to Rosethorn40 for his original post. I have done many river cruises on four continents, and THINK I had a good idea of what I was getting into, but it is not much fun sailing with people who are complaining that they are not getting what they expected.

Thom

We are scheduled to leave 2 Apr 2016 for the Vantage Douro trip - I'll be glad to try to answer any specific questions you may have, as well as give general impressions. We are doing the 2 night Vantage post-extension in Porto (a good value at the no-extra-cost offer we got; a terrible value if you pay $499 per couple per night cost for 2 nights and a half day tour). We are still trying to decide if we will further extend on our own, perhaps with a rental car (we often go this route).

Many thanks to Rosethorn40 for his original post. I have done many river cruises on four continents, and THINK I had a good idea of what I was getting into, but it is not much fun sailing with people who are complaining that they are not getting what they expected.

Thom

Thom,

One thing that I would like to know is what sites we will visit while in Lisbon.

We arrive in Lisbon a day early and have a day to see things other than what is on the Vantage city tour.

We don't qualify for the free two day extension in Porto, since it doesn't apply to the May cruise. But we found a great hotel in great location for 95 euros per night.

We booked at tour to Santiago de Compostela and Viana do Castelo Day Trip from Porto

Thom,

One thing that I would like to know is what sites we will visit while in Lisbon.

We arrive in Lisbon a day early and have a day to see things other than what is on the Vantage city tour.

We don't qualify for the free two day extension in Porto, since it doesn't apply to the May cruise. But we found a great hotel in great location for 95 euros per night.

We booked at tour to Santiago de Compostela and Viana do Castelo Day Trip from Porto

While I can't say for sure what sites Vantage will visit in Lisbon, since we traveled with Viking, I would think it would be similar to what we experienced.

The Tower of Belem, the monument to Portuguese explorers and the Mosteiro dos Jeronimos are close together and since the Monastery is so magnificent I would think that would be part of your tour. So would a visit to the Alfama Quarter (Most likely as a walking tour as the streets are too narrow and twist and turn too much for normal size buses. Next in probability would be Se, the cathedral and possibly the Castelo de Sao Jorge. While pointed out to you, I don't think a group tour would include the Elevador de Santa Justa, the Igreja do Carmo (Ruins of a convent destroyed in the Great Earthquake of 1755), or the Museu Nacional do Azulejo (The tile museum-Stunning, IF you like tiles). You could always go to Sinta, about 12-15 miles outside of Lisbon, it's a UNSECO World Heritage Site.

Thom,

I just looked at the Vantage web site, and their tours and sites you will visit do look very similar to what we had. I found this short video

that you may want to watch. Unless closed, I would guess you will see the Tower of Belem, the monument to Portuguese explorers and the Monastery and apparently the Castle of St. George.

...One thing that I would like to know is what sites we will visit while in Lisbon.

I have a) been to Lisbon several times and b) am pretty good at sorting the wheat from the chaff in advertisements. If what follows in the next paragraph is not what actually happens, I'll post here.

It looks to me that Vantage is providing on their Day 2 (the day that Vantage scheduled flights arrive) a Welcome Briefing and dinner. On Day 3 a morning (only) city overview by bus that will probably drive through downtown and to the Belem area (where the Belem tower, the Henry the Navigator monument and the Jeronimos Monastery are located). My educated guess is that the included pastry stop (which doubles as a comfort stop) will be next to the monastery. Note that the literature says we will go by the city's famed monuments. I question if a bus can go by St. George Castle as the streets there are quite small (unless there is a way that I'm unaware of). On Day 4 they offer an optional tour to Sintra and then an included dinner and Fado show. If I've read correctly, other than a Fado show and briefly seeing the Belem Tower and the Navigator monument, there is not too much that you need worry about duplicating. Lisbon has neat old trams that are worth riding if you are into that sort of thing (but watch for pickpockets). The trams get you within walking distance of St. George Castle, which is worth a visit. Vantage's Day 4 optional is to Sintra, but a self arranged full day tour can also include Cabo da Roca and Cascais (I have done the longer circuit). I need to check to see what museums we may go to.

Thom

I have a) been to Lisbon several times and b) am pretty good at sorting the wheat from the chaff in advertisements. If what follows in the next paragraph is not what actually happens, I'll post here.

It looks to me that Vantage is providing on their Day 2 (the day that Vantage scheduled flights arrive) a Welcome Briefing and dinner. On Day 3 a morning (only) city overview by bus that will probably drive through downtown and to the Belem area (where the Belem tower, the Henry the Navigator monument and the Jeronimos Monastery are located). My educated guess is that the included pastry stop (which doubles as a comfort stop) will be next to the monastery. Note that the literature says we will go by the city's famed monuments. I question if a bus can go by St. George Castle as the streets there are quite small (unless there is a way that I'm unaware of). On Day 4 they offer an optional tour to Sintra and then an included dinner and Fado show. If I've read correctly, other than a Fado show and briefly seeing the Belem Tower and the Navigator monument, there is not too much that you need worry about duplicating. Lisbon has neat old trams that are worth riding if you are into that sort of thing (but watch for pickpockets). The trams get you within walking distance of St. George Castle, which is worth a visit. Vantage's Day 4 optional is to Sintra, but a self arranged full day tour can also include Cabo da Roca and Cascais (I have done the longer circuit). I need to check to see what museums we may go to.

Thom

Thom,

Thanks for the information. I did see the video on Vantage's website, but it didn't provide much information. I think we go to the castle and Belem as well as the coach museum.

I was in Lisbon in 1985, but didn't go to Porto.

We are doing the Sintra optional excursion. It should be great fun.

George