Insight into security when returning to ship from port?

uswcer55

Can anyone tell me what the security procedure is when we are coming back from a port to the boat? X-ray scans? Metal detector? Do they search your bags, look in bags or just scan them? Drug dogs and full body cavity searches? (last one is just joking of course)

On another note.. am I allowed to come back from port with one bottle of wine per age 21 person like we did when we left home port?

Thanks!

There is always a metal scanner machine to go through and a machine to scan your bags when getting back onto the ship. At some ports there is also an ID check by the port police before reaching the ship.

They also take your sign n sail card and slide it through a machine to show you are off the ship when you leave and that again when you return.

I don't know if you are allowed to bring another bottle of wine on board at a port stop. I don't think so. I think those are taken from you to be held until you leave the ship when you get back home.

You put your bags on the conveyor belt to be x-rayed.

You walk through a metal detector.

They can search your bags if they want.

No, you can not bring wine on at the ports. Only at embark.

They use the X-ray scanner for all bags and you walk thru a metal detector. You are NOT allowed wine from any port other than the original point of departure.

If you bring back wine or alcohol, you will be directed to take the contraband to the table to check it to be picked up the morning of debarkation.

As far as drug dogs, that would be up to the individual ports and the police in each particular port.

The only time I have seen dogs is on the docks before you get on the ship that way the local authorities can deal with it rather than the ship. Could possibly get an extended vacation on those nice foreign jails.

They use the X-ray scanner for all bags and you walk thru a metal detector. You are NOT allowed wine from any port other than the original point of departure.

If you bring back wine or alcohol, you will be directed to take the contraband to the table to check it to be picked up the morning of debarkation.

As far as drug dogs, that would be up to the individual ports and the police in each particular port.

Wine and liquor are not contraband, they are considered purchases that you cannot take back to your cabin, and that the ship holds for you.

Our last Coz cruise me being in super efficient mode packed our backpack with waters and snacks ( this included bananas) I was thinking healthy and not about being a criminal but they had the dog out and he alerted to our backpack where our bananas were confiscated. I was mortified. But yes it happens...

In Ocho they check bags before walking on the pier. This is in addition to the regular check that occurs as you enter the ship.

We were all pulled aside when returning to the ship last time and searched extensively (about 20 minutes) including bringing the dogs. It was obvious by the way we were pulled out that they knew we had visited a very "off the tourist" path in a seedy part of town.

We have always gone through metal detector and scanner belt. We have been asked to remove ball caps and sunglasses. Although we have turned in liquor at the check- your- liquor table we have never been asked or directed to. We have actually ended up walking right to our cabin with liquor we bought in port with no problem at all. (It wasn't even liquor we would have wanted to drink on board- it was actually a gift for my dad and something we don't drink). We just forgot about it and I guess we look clueless enough that nobody thought to say anything.

This is incorrect.

Yes, you can bring wine and other unopened alcoholic beverages on at ports. They will take and tag them to be picked up when the cruise ends.

Our last Coz cruise me being in super efficient mode packed our backpack with waters and snacks ( this included bananas) I was thinking healthy and not about being a criminal but they had the dog out and he alerted to our backpack where our bananas were confiscated. I was mortified. But yes it happens...

Yep, at Cozumel they have the "food" dogs checking everyone. You can only disembark with pre-packaged stacks, no fresh fruit or vegetables. Saw a few people alerted on by the dogs. Seems all they do is confiscate the food, nobody arrested....

Some of the ports will have security checking photo ID and Sail and Sign card (Bermuda, Cozumel). Just make sure you have the photo ID (license, passport or passport card) and Sail and Sign out so there is no fumbling through all your bags. It really holds up the line. After that you can put the photo ID away, but have the Sail and Sign card in your hand so you don't hold up that line either.

I thought water bottles weren't allowed on Carnival at all anymore?

Can anyone tell me if I can bring another 12-pack of Coke/Pepsi on board after stopping at port? On my upcoming cruise, the first stop is Key West. I was hoping to bring another 12-pack of soda on to the ship from there, but I read one recent post where a person stated that security made him toss it.

. . .

As a point of clarification, you can only bring on wine to consume on the cruise at the time of embarkation, if you buy wine at one of your ports of call, you may bring it on board, but just like hard liquor that you buy in port, it is held for you until the end of the cruise.

We just cruised to San Juan, St. Thomas and Grand Turk the middle of November.All three had sniffing dogs and police with AK47s. They checked Photo IDs and cruise cards at every port. All booze was checked and all non-pre packaged food was taken. Compared to past years cruises, the security seemed to be higtened.

We have seen dogs used when getting off the ship in some ports -- don't remember which ones. They are looking for food you may be taking off the ship.

Cozumel was doing this the last few times we were there (early 2015). Fruits and veggies were being confiscated.