Prinsendam Transatlantic Question

shadowfox7

Need help deciding...Thinking of the Prinsendam for next Novemeber (2016) Atlantic crossing from Rome to Florida or Eurodam from Barcelona to Florida. Want to know on Prinsendam what the decor is like in the Signature Suite...all pictures I can find show a "pink" shading to the wall coverings...is this true? I know she is more dated than the Eurodam (which just got new refurbishment on their suites).

Currently I have reserved a Neptune Suite 5186 (aft wraparound) on deck 5 Eurodam and a Signature Suite 068 on deck 10 Prinsendam...Help!

No the Prinsedam does not have pink walls, it is the lighting as it supposedly makes it more appealing. They are a warm beige and the desk top may have just a hint of pink in the wood but the couch is also beige. Love these cabins! IMO, the P'dam cruises more smoothly that any other ship I have sailed and with fewer passengers is more intimate - but you do not have as many options for dining and a bit fewer amenities due to her size. Have a great cruise!

Edited by take us away

The Signature Suites on the Prinsendam are very nice IMO. I prefer them to the Signature Suites on the other ships.

they are not pink. More beige and wood work would be my best description.

try googling o47-Prinsendam-ms for pics.

We have done this itinerary on the Prinsendam and really enjoyed it. Prinsendam is my favourite ship to be on to cross the ocean. She really does "cut through the waves". I was surprised once when the captain said how high the waves were as we noticed nothing at all.

She is an older ship so you won't find some of the glitz that you see on others, but you will find a very elegant Pinnacle Grill and an understated elegance on the ship (my opinion only of course).

The Prinsendam is scheduled for dry dock in May 2016 so she will still be fresh from that.

Rumers are that this will be for normal maintenance and also to modify the Lido to the new Marketplace format.

Hank

Based on our recent cruise, the Eurodam might be a smoother ride if the seas are rough.

Even though the E'dam is much bigger, the P'dam has that unique hull design which her captain claims makes for the calmest ride in rough seas. Have sailed her across the Drake Passage and across the Atlantic with waves crashing over the promenade deck and my sea sickness (which is why I stay mid-ship and a lower cabin) was not bad at all. Do admit, everyone reacts differently and I may have been lucky.

Based on our recent cruise, the Eurodam might be a smoother ride if the seas are rough.

I have crossed the Atlantic on the N Amsterdam (sister to the Eurodam) and the Prinsendam. I'll take the Prinsendam any day for the crossing.

DH is subject to mal de mer and in similar seas, he got by much better on the Prinsendam ;)

She has a different hull, seriously. She wasn't built by HAL and she was built to sail the Oceans.

We will be on that TA next November on Prinsendam. We have crossed a couple of times on Eurodam and we love her, especially the Tamarind, but we're looking forward to the P'dam crossing, after a month on board. We could give you a comparison afterwards!;)

Thanks Wesport...what was the weather like in November...seastate? temperature?

not Wesport but did a TA this year in November and a previous year. Both times the temps were quite nice and the seas decent. Now, King Neptune rules so what we experience may not be what you do, but it was very decent weather wise other than perhaps one day on each.

We crossed on Prinsendam some 10 years ago and thought her outdated then. She does ride well. It depends whether you want smaller a some what outdated classic ship which s now well over 30 years old or a larger more modern vessel with many more passengers aboard.

Personally for me it would be Eurodam

We have crossed the Atlantic 5 times on the Prinsendam and will be doing 2 more crossings in 2016. Outdated? Yep. Old? Yep. And still beloved by her many fans (including DW and moi. We do generally cruise on newer glitzy ships (Celebrity Eclipse and Regal Princess in the past 6 weeks) but the Prinsendam has a special place in our heart along with a few other older ships such as the Marco Polo. Captain Gundersen (recently retired), who spent much of his career as one of the Prinsendam Captains, was proud of the fact that the Prinsendam had the highest percentage of passenger repeaters in the industry. We would be fine taking a 14 day Eurodam cruise. But when we want to take a 40+ day cruise we prefer to Prinsendam.

And getting back to the crossings, it has always been wonderful on the P'Dam....but we have also had very good weather on all those voyages.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I have done that same transatlantic cruise on the Prinsendam in Nov. 2014. The Captain told the passengers that there was a storm coming in the Atlantic, so our course was re-routed to go farther south to avoid the storm. We lost two ports, but gained the port of Funchal, which was very enjoyable. We had a little bit of rain, but the seas never got too bad. I prefer the Prinsendam to the Eurodam; it is easier to get to know fellow passengers on the smaller ship.

When I was on the eastbound transatlantic on the Eurodam, we lost two ports, but nothing else was substituted.

We did the crossing on Prinsendam in November, 2014 and 2015 and a TA on Nieuw Amsterdam in April, 2015.

I agree with everyone that Prinsendam is a wonderful Ship and handles very well! The first Crossing on her we had a very smooth one from Funchal to FLL. This last one we had three bumpy days of 12 ft Seas and strong winds up to 70 MPH after leaving Funchal. She handled great and although some may have felt it the majority of people were still out and about at Dinner and the Lounges for Happy Hour, etc. The weather on this on was actually warmer for the whole crossing than in 2014. In 2014 the Weather was cooler starting out and would get warmer the closer we were to FLL (about 3 days before).

Weather is unpredictable but we found the Fall crossing to be wonderful and would also choose the Prinsendam as my first choice for a TA!

Currently I have reserved a Neptune Suite 5186 (aft wraparound) on deck 5 Eurodam and a Signature Suite 068 on deck 10 Prinsendam...Help!

We have done a crossing on the Maasdam, not Prinsendam and had a smooth ride.

How long will you wait before making the decision? It doesn't matter to us since we are booked to do a crossing on another HAL ship next year. We do know people who wait for a cabin to open up when someone cancels who was holding multiple staterooms on more then one ship at the same time.

Edited by Jade13