!!! More ship board fun free active activity !!!

bobnsofi

After many MANY cruises on Carnival, it seems there are LESS AND LESS free ship board activities that include an increase in heart rate.

Find that a nice and FUN FUN FUN ship board free activity that increases the heart rate helps us to FEEL GREAT. It would seem that folks that feel great would gamble more, smile more, thirst quench more, and repeat cruise more.

Just got off a 6 day Carnival Cruise. Could not believe the lack of fun free ship board activities that include an increase in heart rate.

Seems the Activity Personnel rarely provide FUN FREE ACTIVE ACTIVITY, and if they do, it is for 20 mins Max. If the activity folk are so busy with Bingo, perhaps a waiter working the buffet would love to lead a 20 min. line dance class. ANYTHING!

Thinking:

Pool Side Line Dancing lessons 3 times a day.

Pool side Zumba twice a day.

Adult pool volleyball, or pool floaty noodle play, or pool nurf ball catch once a day.

Seems inactive cruisers love to watch and cheer free active activities, and smiling active cruisers order cool drinks. Seems bored cruisers watch TV in their cabins.

Anyone else share in this point of view?

Anyone else feel this point of view is out of line?

Anyone else can suggest easy free fun heart rate increasing activity ideas?

Anyone from Carnival monitoring this Blog want to chime in?

I go on cruises to relax so I'm afraid I don't share your enthusiasm for "active activity".

I walked a min of 2.5 miles each day on my most recent cruise which is more than I normally do at home so at least I got something accomplished. Frankly, my goal on my cruises is to get a nap in everyday so I can recharge from my stressful real life.

I suppose you could always go to the club at night and dance until the wee hours or go to the gym. Other than that, I'm the wrong gal to ask about exercise :cool:.

Why does the ship's staff have to provide you with fun free activities all of the time? I don't know of any ships that don't have a gym, and they're free. You can walk just about the entire length of the ship, from front to back and back to front, on each deck, and/or up and down each staircase you come to. I believe each ship has a basketball court, as well as a dance club. These are all free activities that you can do without having a staff member lead the way. I don't know about you, but I am an adult, and I don't need someone to take charge of my activities while on vacation.

I hit the gym every morning and am constantly walking back and forth from the back to the front and back again. Why would the ship offer Free Zumba on Deck when they charge $10 in the Gym? Who the heck wants to line dance all the time (or at all). Plenty of dancing in the clubs. Make your own activity. It is YOUR Cruise, make of it what you want. MY Cruise will be different.

After many MANY cruises on Carnival, it seems there are LESS AND LESS free ship board activities that include an increase in heart rate.

Find that a nice and FUN FUN FUN ship board free activity that increases the heart rate helps us to FEEL GREAT. It would seem that folks that feel great would gamble more, smile more, thirst quench more, and repeat cruise more.

Just got off a 6 day Carnival Cruise. Could not believe the lack of fun free ship board activities that include an increase in heart rate.

Seems the Activity Personnel rarely provide FUN FREE ACTIVE ACTIVITY, and if they do, it is for 20 mins Max. If the activity folk are so busy with Bingo, perhaps a waiter working the buffet would love to lead a 20 min. line dance class. ANYTHING!

Thinking:

Adult pool volleyball, or pool floaty noodle play, or pool nurf ball catch once a day.

Seems inactive cruisers love to watch and cheer free active activities, and smiling active cruisers order cool drinks. Seems bored cruisers watch TV in their cabins.

Carnival stopped being "fun and active" years ago. Other cruise lines have added activities for the active families. Try looking at Royal Carribean. On the Freedom Class ships and bigger you will find it tough getting bored. You can rediscover cruising on other lines like many have!!!

I think that on the whole most people on cruises just want to take it easy and have fun

That being said those people who do want to be active have many choices.

The gym on the ships are quite nice and often well used. They are well located so you have a great view while working out. The staff will help you out if you are unsure of how to make the best use of the equipment.

The running track is great. Knock yourself out...again beautiful view.

Basketball courts also used for soccer (not my thing). I see lots of people out there working up a sweat. They seem to be having a good time.

Table tennis is available on all the ships. I realize it's is not always organized but there is almost always someone who will play if you ask.

All the Carnival ships have waterslides...while the heartrate wont go up through exertion on the way down, if you make it a brisk pace climbing back up several times, I think it counts as a workout.

The reality is that there would be few resorts that would have as much to offer as your typical cruise ship. For those that want to spend some time working out the facilities are there, but as I said I think most would be happy enough thinking that they walked up to the buffet instead of taking the elevator:)

Happy cruising

Seems all your suggestions are already offered.

We did line dancing several times in the Lido, atrium and dance club on our last cruise. My daughter even won a "best dancer" medal.

The pools really aren't big enough for volleyball, but you can always hop in and play around with friends.

I highly doubt the buffet servers would love to lead a dance class. They are overworked as it is and signed up to be wait staff not dance leader.

Aside from the dancing and pools already mentioned there is also the gym, jogging track, fitness classes, sport courts, mini golf, corn hole, arcade, shuffleboard, ropes courses, as well as walking around the ship and in ports for those who want a more active vacation.

If this is not enough for you, there are other lines that promote more activity. Un Cruise Adventures comes to mind. Perhaps that would be more to your liking.

I hate, as an adult, having organized, supervised activities...reminds me of summer camp those many moons ago. And, I hate having a relaxing time at poolside interrupted by "contests" and silly games and even more silly lessons. If I wanted a "camp" experience I'd be going skiing, or water skiing, or hiking. I wouldn't be choosing a vacation known for relaxation .

Thinking:

you type strangely.

I kind of agree with the OP. It seems like 75% of the activities in the fun times is sitting on your caboose playing trivia. Getting sick of trivia as an activity. No longer attend. They had some good activities on our last Princess cruise. Batting cage and golf chipping contest. Also had FREE Zumba on the basketball court. Free yoga too.

Carnival stopped being "fun and active" years ago. Other cruise lines have added activities for the active families. Try looking at Royal Carribean. On the Freedom Class ships and bigger you will find it tough getting bored. You can rediscover cruising on other lines like many have!!!

Royal pain. I'll stick with Carnival. Why are you even over here, did you get lost?

I agree with you OP. While I enjoy resting and relaxing on my cruise, I would enjoy a few well organized activities like dance classes, volleyball games, or hula hoop contests. Maybe it's the kid in me or an inner desire to have a Dirty Dancing kind of vacation.

I would like to sip Pina coladas on deck and read a book. Watch the ocean. Then go spend an hour doing something fun.

The free dance class I attended last cruise was very short and only taught 2 salsa steps. And the cornhole game had so many people you only got to throw 2 or 3 times.

The few activities they offer are over too quickly. I would be more interested in participating in something that took an hour not 15 or 20 minutes.

I wouldn't want to feel like I'm at camp with activity after activity. But, I would like to do more fun stuff. Going to the gym is not fun for me, nor is walking the track.

Just about every cruise I've been on has included a scavenger hunt, either a digital one or one with physical items, or both. While you're only actively active for about 10 minutes, with the amount of rushing over the entire length of the ship and on several floors, you are definitely worn out afterwards.

I just came off the RCCL Independence of the Seas last month. EXACT same things done on Carnival are done on RCCL. Don't kid yourself on RCCL being better......they are almost exactly the same (except pricing for the most part).

...first off, if you've ever been to "camp" as an adult (family camp, or similar) it's a blast! All those things we did as kids, done as adults are even more relaxing and enjoyable.

Ok, the active folks, like me...There are lots of us that like to be active on vacation and do more than just hang out and veg out.

Things I'd personally like to see: zumba (outdoors)...yes! water aerobics...yes! yoga (outdoors)...yes! group walking - sure I don't mind walking solo, or with a friend, but walking with a like-minded group, while on a trip is spectacular - like sharing a dinner table while on a cruise...you learn about what others did (or are planning to do), sometimes you may even form a group excursion off the ship...yes!

Several years ago my D led me, her dad and her friend in a daily yoga "class" on one of the quiet inactive outdoor decks during sunset. After the 3rd day there were no less than 10 of us "regulars" - My D was not being paid, she just loves the serenity and exercise, and obviously so did others. Yes, Carnival (and other lines) offer yoga indoors, but we're at sea, and the sound and fresh air of the ocean is an extra endorphin boost. BTW, we did not do "gymnastic" yoga, we did slow, calm, meditative yoga (for those not in the know, it's called "yin yoga") - on my trip in October, I continued the tradition - I found a secluded, quiet spot on deck 11, forward, and my friend joined me. And I walked deck 5 every evening, a 3.5 mile walk, each and every day. For my health and meditative time.

For what it's worth, I'm in my 50s, and I honestly believe that as the younger generation starts sailing independently of their parents the cruise lines will need more "active" group activities. Not 24/7, but consistently...and for goodness sake, use that outdoor space and fresh air! :)