Snorkeling in Ketchikan?

phdiva

I'm intrigued with the thought of snorkeling in Ketchikan. Will a 7mm wetsuit keep me warm enough that I'm not miserable? I know it will be cold, and I know that first minute when the water rushes into the wet suit is going to be unpleasant. How quickly will I get over that initial misery and start enjoying the experience? How long can a person stay in 65 degree water in a 7mm wetsuit? Do I have to finish the whole tour, or can I get out sooner? I really just want to take a few pictures and say I've snorkeled in Alaska.

I'm intrigued with the thought of snorkeling in Ketchikan. Will a 7mm wetsuit keep me warm enough that I'm not miserable? I know it will be cold, and I know that first minute when the water rushes into the wet suit is going to be unpleasant. How quickly will I get over that initial misery and start enjoying the experience? How long can a person stay in 65 degree water in a 7mm wetsuit? Do I have to finish the whole tour, or can I get out sooner? I really just want to take a few pictures and say I've snorkeled in Alaska.

I wouldn't go in one that thin, in fact I would probably do a dry suit snorkel. You are looking at swimming in water that might be in the low 50s at best, it is not going to be close to 65 degrees.

I am here to tell you that I did, would do it again, and loved it.....One of the best snorkeling trips I have ever, ever done.....My family is from the Caymans, and I am a certified diver....Never had I so much fun....Was I cold? No, I was so warm, I took off my hood. The water was as warm as it was diving in CT, NJ, Maine and the North East....The reefs are amazing.....Remember, that the whales come here to eat.....YES, DO IT....Start fish as big as serving platters....bright red, blue and purple......gorgeous sea life....and the best part was as we cruised by the spot where we snorkeled, a humpy came up and blew in the same cove....Now, how cool is that....

I am here to tell you that I did, would do it again, and loved it.....One of the best snorkeling trips I have ever, ever done.....My family is from the Caymans, and I am a certified diver....Never had I so much fun....Was I cold? No, I was so warm, I took off my hood. The water was as warm as it was diving in CT, NJ, Maine and the North East....The reefs are amazing.....Remember, that the whales come here to eat.....YES, DO IT....Start fish as big as serving platters....bright red, blue and purple......gorgeous sea life....and the best part was as we cruised by the spot where we snorkeled, a humpy came up and blew in the same cove....Now, how cool is that....

Thanks for posting your experience! I booked that excursion on our last cruise then got stormed out, and I've been wondering what I missed. Putting it on the list for our next visit. :)

I think it was one of the best tours that I have done in Alaska.....other than going out with my dogs who were on a glacier doing tours.....that was pretty special too....not that I don't drive my dogs when they are home or racing, but watching them be with tourists was pretty special too....:D

Wow, Laughing Husky! You just convinced BF that we want to it. As a certified diver, a former competitive swimmer, and someone who's lived with me for 18 years, he has enough experience to be concerned I'd be complaining the entire time. But you said "whales" and his face lit up like a kid's on Christmas morning.

I, too, went snorkeling in Ketchikan and absolutely loved it. One of my favorite excursions.

I agree with Laughing Husky - I couldn't wait to get in the water to cool off! The wet suit made me hot while we were on land. And I was never cold while in the water. The only problem with the wet suit is getting it on :-)

I've done quite a bit of warm water snorkeling, and was intrigued with the different sea life in Alaska. The star fish were my favorite. Google snorkeling in Ketchikan, and you will find lots of underwater pictures.

Have fun!

Another vote for this excursion - wonderful experience! I felt very warm after the first 10-seconds when the water zipped down my back, and was super-buoyant in that suit bobbing around like a cork when I wasn't swimming. One of my favorite souviners is the Snorkel Alaska ball-cap which I wear proudly on our Caribbean cruises.

Edited by LoriPhil

Yeh, those suits are a bit difficult to put on......and worth every second of it....:D I am not sure about the vest.....but the suits do make you quite buoyant....I would google snorkling companies in Ketikan and call and ask them....though frankly I doubt they are open now....(Winter).....but maybe there is someone you could email....

Edited by laughing husky

Yeh, those suits are a bit difficult to put on......and worth every second of it....:D I am not sure about the vest.....but the suits do make you quite buoyant....I would google snorkling companies in Ketikan and call and ask them....though frankly I doubt they are open now....(Winter).....but maybe there is someone you could email....

Thanks laughing husky! I feel better about this already. I watched the video on the website, looks like everyone was quite buoyant.... Snorkelling in Alaska ....who would have thought?

We had decided to skip this because I had read that the visibility was terrible. But I am sold on this excursion now (for my DH anyway)! Thank you for sharing your experiences!

When I went it was raining, and therefore cloudy (I was in Alaska, after all...). So the visibility wasn't great, but we were still able to see the yellow kelp beds and beautiful starfish. Do not think tropical snorkeling. The fish were not as colorful or big, but the starfish were great (various bright colors) and the guides were quite informative. Even without great visibility, I'm thrilled I went snorkeling in Alaska. It was a totally different snorkel experience from any other I've done.

When I went it was raining, and therefore cloudy (I was in Alaska, after all...). So the visibility wasn't great, but we were still able to see the yellow kelp beds and beautiful starfish. Do not think tropical snorkeling. The fish were not as colorful or big, but the starfish were great (various bright colors) and the guides were quite informative. Even without great visibility, I'm thrilled I went snorkeling in Alaska. It was a totally different snorkel experience from any other I've done.

It sounds like it's worth it just for the bragging rights :-)

as with most sights and activities, you'll find video of this snorkeling excursion with YouTube. Just enter ' ketchikan snorkling' and you'll find video from the vendor as well as several customers.

The orange and purple starfish are commonly seen clinging to piers or in tidepools throughout coastal Alaska, BC, WA and OR, so watch for them. even if you don't snorkel !

• 7 months later...

I just did this on Friday and it was the highlight of our trip. It was me, my two kids (13, aand 18) and my father in law. You will not be cold at all. They give you the wetsuit, gloves, boots, and a hood. By the time we got on all the equipment we couldn't wait to get into the water. The water was actually 59 degrees and it was 70 degrees outside. The initial rush of water was hardly noticeable when we got into the water. I would of liked the water to be a little cooler because the wetsuit kept us so warm. My son took his suit off and took a dip in the cold ocean afterwards and said it still wasn't that bad.

I highly recommend it. We snorkel all the time in the caribbean and my kids liked this better. The water was very clear and there were tons of critters to see. We were shocked at how much fun it was.

I went a couple of weeks ago - the water was 62 degrees and beautiful. There's no way you'll be cold in the water, basically only your cheeks are exposed. If you want out of the water sooner, the guides were great about making sure everyone was comfortable in the water & if you wanted out, you could get out.

It was definitely one of the highlights of our trip for me. Plus, serious bragging rights... even if I was covered from head to toe in neoprene. :)