NCL- WORST Guest Services

jessicasquared

Social media...blah, blah, bleech :eek::rolleyes:

I went on a cruise and:

1) I was moved to a room that I didn't like

2) Sometimes the toilet did not work

3) People put artwork in a hallway that I had to walk thru

So...let's be honest. Assuming that all of these are legitimate issues, should these items be addressed while onboard where someone could do something about them

- - - OR - - -

Should I rant about these items on social media sites until someone pays attention to me...even though the cruise is over and NOTHING can be done to fix these issues now??

Addressing issues with the proper people at the appropriate time and in an appropriate manner goes a long way toward a satisfactory outcome.

It sounds like the toilet issue was complained about while on board--repeatedly. You assume the noise wasn't addressed as well.

As far as the art, I might have considered it a gift if left outside my door. ;)

Actually, a lot of companies are turning away from social media because for the most part trolls have taken over. Not saying you are one, but you post a lot in the NCL forum but don't have any NCL cruises listed in your signature. I don't know if that's because you have never taken any or not.

Social media was a great tool and a great place to exchange information before it was overtaken to a large extent by people who take joy out of being negative.

Actually I am not sure I have ever posted in this forum before. No I haven't cruised NCL, but my responses would have been the same regardless of the line. This is not an NCL specific problem, it is unfortunately indicative of the majority of the cruise industry. I have offered some very constructive advice to the OP.

It sounds like the toilet issue was complained about while on board--repeatedly. You assume the noise wasn't addressed as well.

As far as the art, I might have considered it a gift if left outside my door. ;)

Sounds like, assume, and consider aside...that is simply the example. The question remains.

If it was addressed onboard, it doesn't need to be rehashed afterwards.

If it wasn't addressed onboard, it is too late to change it now.

And when push comes to shove, there is nobody here with the authority to do anything anyway.

Sounds like, assume, and consider aside...that is simply the example. The question remains.

If it was addressed onboard, it doesn't need to be rehashed afterwards.

If it wasn't addressed onboard, it is too late to change it now.

And when push comes to shove, there is nobody here with the authority to do anything anyway.

If the customer's complaint has any merit, make the customer whole.

If the customer's complaint has no merit, politely point out why.

Really rather simple.

I disagree. There are many people working in customer service who should not be in any type of public facing position. I know of at least one person who was fired after abusing a good customer with a legitimate complaint over a billing issue. When that customer worked their way up the chain--eventually speaking to the president of the company--the recordings were reviewed and the president was so appalled that he personally fired the CSR while The customer listened. By the way, I was the customer.

Not saying ALL CSR are polite. Ones that yell at customers or are argumentative the company needs to deal with that individual. But also there are very rude customers that put a beating on a CSR. Neither case is in the right. Some consumers that call customer service and get a "no" from them they think that is disrecptpful and argumentative.

If the customer's complaint has any merit, make the customer whole.

If the customer's complaint has no merit, politely point out why.

Really rather simple.

Sure, but what if the customer already complained...and you already apologized...and you already compensated them, yet now they are complaining about the same thing again? If the issue was addressed already, is it OK to not waste time addressing it again?

There were two parts to ducklite's statement- they monitor and respond to questions and complaints. NCL used to do that on CC. Now they don't (or if they do it has been quite some time since I've seen them respond). Don't you want you're prefered cruise line to shine in this area? How does attacking others make NCL look any better?

Don't know if I was a head of a company I would want my company to respond on a message forum like CC. You open yourself up to a giant can of worms. Look at many companies and sports figures that say stupid things on social media. That in itself would be why I wouldn't want my employees to post on a message board.

Sure, but what if the customer already complained...and you already apologized...and you already compensated them, yet now they are complaining about the same thing again? If the issue was addressed already, is it OK to not waste time addressing it again?

If it was addressed onboard adequately in the cruise line's view then yes, they need to address it again if the customer then elevates the issue to shoreside customer service, if only to say "we've done everything we can to address your issue and we are sorry that you are not satisfied with the answer".

Don't know if I was a head of a company I would want my company to respond on a message forum like CC. You open yourself up to a giant can of worms. Look at many companies and sports figures that say stupid things on social media. That in itself would be why I wouldn't want my employees to post on a message board.

NCL responded on this forum for a long time and was applauded for doing so. From what I recall their response, quite consistently, was to invite the poster to contact them off-line. No public statements necessary.

Edited by sparks1093

Not saying ALL CSR are polite. Ones that yell at customers or are argumentative the company needs to deal with that individual. But also there are very rude customers that put a beating on a CSR. Neither case is in the right. Some consumers that call customer service and get a "no" from them they think that is disrecptpful and argumentative.

I worked in guest services for a number of years. I also held the title of Manager of Client Experience for a few years. It's all about how you manage the person on the other end. Listen. Acknowledge. Apologize. Recover. Use a statement like "While you have a valid complaint and I wish I had been on board to help you resolve it, unfortunately at this point I can't go back in time and change what happened. I sincerely apologize for your experience as we obviously didn't show you our best face. I can offer you an on board credit/discount/one category upgrade/complimentary dinner in our premiere dining room/etc. If you'd book with us again so we may have the opportunity to shine."

Actually, a lot of companies are turning away from social media because for the most part trolls have taken over. Not saying you are one, but you post a lot in the NCL forum but don't have any NCL cruises listed in your signature. I don't know if that's because you have never taken any or not.

Social media was a great tool and a great place to exchange information before it was overtaken to a large extent by people who take joy out of being negative.

I think you are spot on. The internet has certainly changed over the years and it seems like a lot post their negatives to get something (not referring to the OP in this situation, as I feel they have a genuine gripe with regard to how they were treated by NCL's Customer Service) and use the internet as a bargaining tool to get what they want. In other words, I won't write a bad review if you do this and then if the company doesn't give in, the person posts trying to use it as leverage. Sad that it can't be just an exchange of thoughts, opinions, information, ideas and reviews which contain the good, as well as the bad. I do think it is sad that NCL doesn't post on here any longer, but I certainly understand why they don't.

My company encourages us to use social media and offers great guidelines on the topic. I keep my public work persona and private personal persona completely different and never mix business with pleasure.

NCL responded on this forum for a long time and was applauded for doing so. From what I recall their response, quite consistently, was to invite the poster to contact them off-line. No public statements necessary.

Exactly! Respond to both praise and complaints, but never air dirty laundry and make all attempts to take it private immediately.

I think you are spot on. The internet has certainly changed over the years and it seems like a lot post their negatives to get something (not referring to the OP in this situation, as I feel they have a genuine gripe with regard to how they were treated by NCL's Customer Service) and use the internet as a bargaining tool to get what they want. In other words, I won't write a bad review if you do this and then if the company doesn't give in, the person posts trying to use it as leverage. Sad that it can't be just an exchange of thoughts, opinions, information, ideas and reviews which contain the good, as well as the bad. I do think it is sad that NCL doesn't post on here any longer, but I certainly understand why they don't.

Savvy companies--and consumers--can easily figure out who has a legitimate gripe and who doesn't. Sometimes people go to social media to air a complaint because it's a last resort. Other times it's due to a time sensitive issue and you will get immediate response from Twitter as opposed to waiting three months via a phone call or email.

I think the way that NCL handled the board was an example to be followed by others- invite the person with the complaint to contact them off-line. That is all that they usually did, although there were a couple times I recall they did post a press release type response to a large shipboard issue. They did not post give and take the way we do. Yes, there are always going to be people that try to game the system, internet or not. (How many people have bought an LL Bean shirt at Goodwill, only to send it back to LL Bean to get a new shirt using their guarentee?)

They fired most of their public relations and media staff.

If you ask the executive office if they read CC they will tell you no.

Call 800-456-7298, that is the executive office, if you do not believe what I am relaying to you and you can find out yourself.

Yes it is true they fired most

That's obvious by how they can't keep the website updated

Btw thanks for the phone number. It's securely in my contact list.

A few years ago NCL used to post helpful stuff (clarifications, explanations etc.) on CC. They had properly trained, savvy people dealing with it.

About a year ago, these posts changed to become just repeats of badly worded press releases which added nothing to the debate.

About a year ago, many (if not all) of their social media people were 'let go' by the new management regime. I guess that the 'social media' responsibility was given to someone who had little or no clue or interest in it.

Is the timing co-incidence? I shall let the reader decide.

I think the way that NCL handled the board was an example to be followed by others- invite the person with the complaint to contact them off-line. That is all that they usually did, although there were a couple times I recall they did post a press release type response to a large shipboard issue. They did not post give and take the way we do. Yes, there are always going to be people that try to game the system, internet or not. (How many people have bought an LL Bean shirt at Goodwill, only to send it back to LL Bean to get a new shirt using their guarentee?)

Well since I have an account with llbean they would know I didn't buy the shirt from them

If someone did as you suggest then that person would need to say they got it as a gift

But regardless you llbean example is ridiculous as llbean guarantees everything they sell for life

Well since I have an account with llbean they would know I didn't buy the shirt from them

If someone did as you suggest then that person would need to say they got it as a gift

But regardless you llbean example is ridiculous as llbean guarantees everything they sell for life

My point was that some people will find a way to game the system, so there was nothing ridiculous about it and I'm sorry you think so. If someone is taking unfair advantage of one of the best guarantees in the country I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to say it was a gift.

Edited by sparks1093

Social media...blah, blah, bleech :eek::rolleyes:

I went on a cruise and:

1) I was moved to a room that I didn't like

2) Sometimes the toilet did not work

3) People put artwork in a hallway that I had to walk thru

So...let's be honest. Assuming that all of these are legitimate issues, should these items be addressed while onboard where someone could do something about them

- - - OR - - -

Should I rant about these items on social media sites until someone pays attention to me...even though the cruise is over and NOTHING can be done to fix these issues now??

Addressing issues with the proper people at the appropriate time and in an appropriate manner goes a long way toward a satisfactory outcome.

You really don't read the threads before you go off on one of your tirade, do you? Because if you had bothered to read the OP's further post before spouting off, you would have seen that s/he did try to address this while on the ship and told to address this on land through customer service. Their post was about the lousy customer service they were given.

I don't know why I continue to be amazed at the rudeness displayed on these boards, but I am. Everything seems to be the fault of the passengers if we were to believe most of the posters here on CC.

I worked in guest services for a number of years. I also held the title of Manager of Client Experience for a few years. It's all about how you manage the person on the other end. Listen. Acknowledge. Apologize. Recover. Use a statement like "While you have a valid complaint and I wish I had been on board to help you resolve it, unfortunately at this point I can't go back in time and change what happened. I sincerely apologize for your experience as we obviously didn't show you our best face. I can offer you an on board credit/discount/one category upgrade/complimentary dinner in our premiere dining room/etc. If you'd book with us again so we may have the opportunity to shine."

I agree with you but who's to know if the CSR was actually yelling at the OP? Sometimes out of frustration or anger we tend to exaggerate what we say after the conversation has happened. Not to say it didn't happen to the OP but sometimes you need to take a step back before before commenting about a CSR that might of ticked you off.

You really don't read the threads before you go off on one of your tirade, do you? Because if you had bothered to read the OP's further post before spouting off, you would have seen that s/he did try to address this while on the ship and told to address this on land through customer service. Their post was about the lousy customer service they were given.

I don't know why I continue to be amazed at the rudeness displayed on these boards, but I am. Everything seems to be the fault of the passengers if we were to believe most of the posters here on CC.

Well of course I read that...I was just going to ignore it and not point out what an utterly ridiculous statement it actually is. However, since YOU brought it up...

This "point" just further calls this whole issue into question. There are things that are taken care of on shore...and there are things that are taken care of on the ship....and not many that can be resolved in either place.

For example, if your soup is cold, it would need to be reheated in the kitchen...while you are onboard the ship. Someone in the shoreside office isn't going to be able to do anything about it.

The complaints here are a noisy cabin, intermittent toilet functionality, and artwork in a public hallway...all of which are CLEARLY "handle on board" type items.

If any reasonable adult were complaining about one of these items onboard and the response was "You have to call shoreside once you are at home for that issue" the immediate question would be "What on earth can shoreside people do AFTER the vacation is over that you can't possibly take care of right here, right now?"

"address this on land"? Sorry...doesn't pass the smell test.

My point was that some people will find a way to game the system, so there was nothing ridiculous about it and I'm sorry you think so. If someone is taking unfair advantage of one of the best guarantees in the country I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to say it was a gift.

Up until around 1990 JC Penney would take back anything they sold at any time without a receipt. It was about as liberal of a return policy as it got. I was working there when a boys suit was brought back with a big mustard stain on it, the person returning it claimed it had never been worn and had no receipt. Fortunately they had gone on sale a few days earlier and without the receipt all I had to give them was the sale price, which was about 75% off.

Another customer brought in four men's dress shirts still in the original bag, all the pins and cardboard bits intact. They had never been worn. She said her husband had passed and not had a chance to wear them. Sad, except they were yellowed and reeked of cigarette smoke and the packaging had been redesigned about six years prior. Still they were taken back at full price as she had a receipt. They weren't even in good enough shape to put in the donate to charity bin.

That type of abuse is why Penney's changed their return policy, and rightfully so.

Well of course I read that...I was just going to ignore it and not point out what an utterly ridiculous statement it actually is. However, since YOU brought it up...

This "point" just further calls this whole issue into question. There are things that are taken care of on shore...and there are things that are taken care of on the ship....and not many that can be resolved in either place.

For example, if your soup is cold, it would need to be reheated in the kitchen...while you are onboard the ship. Someone in the shoreside office isn't going to be able to do anything about it.

The complaints here are a noisy cabin, intermittent toilet functionality, and artwork in a public hallway...all of which are CLEARLY "handle on board" type items.

If any reasonable adult were complaining about one of these items onboard and the response was "You have to call shoreside once you are at home for that issue" the immediate question would be "What on earth can shoreside people do AFTER the vacation is over that you can't possibly take care of right here, right now?"

Seems to me like the CSR person onboard punted the ball down the road. You and I would ask the immediate question about what shoreside people could do, but we are experienced cruisers that know better (and if one person reads this thread and learns that lesson then the whole thing is worthwhile). (And it does seem like shipboard personnel are having their hands tied as to what they can do to address a passenger's issue.)

Edited by sparks1093

Fantastic post!