Tips Please! Cruising with a Toddler

Princesskiki

Hi Everyone,

This is my first cruise with our kids (12, 8 and 3). I need some tips on cruising with a toddler, please!

Any recommendations on excursions in Cozumel, Belize and Isla Roatan we can do as a family?

Just trying to be as prepared as possible for this one!

Thank you in advance!!

We cruised with our 10 year grandson and 3 year old granddaughter. Haven't been to Roatan or Belize with kids, but in Cozumel, we did Mr. Sanchos beach club (a;;-inclusive) and they loved it there. You can pay a fee for the kids to play on the water toys. My grandkids just loved playing on the beach.

A 3 year old is not a "toddler".

Check out the kids club on the first day to see if the child would enjoy any of the activities.

I am sure you can read about each of the excursions to see if you are interested in them. Each child and family is different in what they enjoy. Most kiddos like playing on the beach and don't like long bus rides.

Get a guidebook on your ports from your local library....that will tell you EVERYTHING there is in each place you'll visit! Then you can decide what to do, and most times, things are very easy on your own. By doing things on your own, you will be on your own timetable...so if the 3 year old gets tired or fussy, you can leave....you won't be trapped on a predetermined time schedule.

Both of the kids can utilize the kids club...99% of kids LOVE it!!!!

I cant comment on what to do by experience because our upcoming cruise will be the first for my kiddos as well... they will be 5.5 and 3 at the time. We don't have anything planned yet for while in port, my kiddos love the beach so we may do that at a few of them, heck we may even stay on the ship during one of them and enjoy a less crowded pool....

I plan on packing some of their favorite smaller toys and a small drawing tablet with crayons so they can tinker with those in the room while we get ready for dinner or maybe even at dinner until their meals come... We plan on signing them up for family time dining (Royal C. cruise line) so that they will enjoy their meals in about 45 min in the dinning room and then adventure ocean staff will come get them and take them back to play and participate in activities there while we enjoy the rest of our dinner and maybe some things after dinner.

If your kiddos are picky eaters maybe have a few pre packaged snacks they will want while in port or in the room before bed....

Hi Everyone,

This is my first cruise with our kids (12, 8 and 3). I need some tips on cruising with a toddler, please!

Any recommendations on excursions in Cozumel, Belize and Isla Roatan we can do as a family?

Just trying to be as prepared as possible for this one!

Thank you in advance!!

Cozumel - if you want to be cost effective, take a cab to a beach like Paradise beach where the kids can play. If you have a bit more money to spend, I would suggest booking directly with Chankanaab for a dolphin encounter for the whole family - they you get the day at the beach/park included. Its just a short cab ride from the port.

Belize - a bit harder because it is very water focused. If you want a beach day, Goff's Caye allowed my little one to go ashore with his dad, while his older brother and I snorkeled off shore from the boat. When I made it to shore, his dad went snorkeling straight from shore. Another option, if the 3 year old would handle a 45 min bus ride is Altun Ha and the River Wallace. I am sure the boat ride down the river would be a hit, and there is plenty of space to explore the ruins. The 3 year old might not remember it, but the older kids certainly will.

Roatan - our favorite port! Book a private tour with Victor Booden or one of the other providers. There are multiple places to see monkeys (one even has sloths) and it is such a beautiful island, and they can take you to the West End for some beach time as well. If you want just a beach day, Tabayana is beautiful and has great snorkeling right from shore.

The Belize Zoo is small but extremely well designed, and children will love it.

In Roatan, we went with Bodden adventures twice, prior to having children and again with our son when he was 3. He really liked the monkeys (they have that at the Bodden residence and they can climb on you), the iguana farm, and the South Shore ecowalk to walk through covered bridges in a rainforest (

). The iguanas and monkeys both like to eat bananas, although you are technically not supposed to take fresh fruit off the ship.

We brought a travel stroller in ports in which we had private transportation so we could easily leave the stroller behind if there were excursions where we didn't need it and left the stroller on the ship in ports we DIY. Some people use strollers on the ship too.

Edited by kitkat343

We travelled with our then 3 year old to Norway last year. We didn't take a stroller because he was never interested in sitting in it at home and we weren't interested in fighting on the vacation, but if yours likes the stroller, then it will make it easier for you in the city sections of ports.

If the 3 year old is still in pull-ups for night time, bring a few extras. The stress/excitement of the trip might bring some regression. It's not a big deal, but just something to keep an eye on.

We brought extra pull ups for him and baby wipes and replenished in ports when/if needed.

My kids were 3 and 7 and they adored the kids club. Definitely worth checking out.

Get a guidebook on your ports from your local library....that will tell you EVERYTHING there is in each place you'll visit! Then you can decide what to do, and most times, things are very easy on your own. By doing things on your own, you will be on your own timetable...so if the 3 year old gets tired or fussy, you can leave....you won't be trapped on a predetermined time schedule.

I agree about the guidebooks. And you can also google each port. Look for beaches near the port as that might be your best bet instead of booking any excursions. Aim for something that will appeal to your youngest...and that will allow you to return at any time to the ship if your youngest gets fussy.

And definitely take your kids to the kids' clubs on the first night. That's when they'll meet the other kids in their age group and hopefully will find some friends.

I cant comment on what to do by experience because our upcoming cruise will be the first for my kiddos as well... they will be 5.5 and 3 at the time. We don't have anything planned yet for while in port, my kiddos love the beach so we may do that at a few of them, heck we may even stay on the ship during one of them and enjoy a less crowded pool....

I plan on packing some of their favorite smaller toys and a small drawing tablet with crayons so they can tinker with those in the room while we get ready for dinner or maybe even at dinner until their meals come... We plan on signing them up for family time dining (Royal C. cruise line) so that they will enjoy their meals in about 45 min in the dinning room and then adventure ocean staff will come get them and take them back to play and participate in activities there while we enjoy the rest of our dinner and maybe some things after dinner.

If your kiddos are picky eaters maybe have a few pre packaged snacks they will want while in port or in the room before bed....

Make sure that any snacks or food you plan to take off the ship are unopened, factory-sealed ones. Else, you risk having a port official confiscating and tossing it.

Be sure to pack any items such as medicines as the ship may not have the appropriate ones for kids (the infirmary might, but you may get charged a lot and if your kids are picky about flavors...)

Any pullups for the 3-year-old should be taken on board too. The ship's store may not carry them.

Pad in an extra day if traveling to your embarkation city (which you should do anyway) so that you can get in a shopping trip before your cruise

Another useful resource is right here in the Cruise Critic Ports of Call forums.

For details of specific ports, a resource I use is Tom Sheridan's guides. Tom has no affiliation at all with Cruise Critic, but his guides are very comprehensive. Here's a link to his website: http://www.tomsportguides.com

We are cruising next week with a 5, 3 and 11 month old. For Cozumel we booked the Playa Mia Grand Beach and Water Park Beach Break. It looks like it has enough to keep everyone happy for the day and the excursion had some great on line reviews on various sites from parents who traveled with small kids. On the ship we plan to put both our 5 and 3 year old in the kid's club.