NEW Charge for NorthStar and iFly Effective Dec 30

Just called RCI (Crown and Anchor) regarding some issues booking iFly for my upcoming Anthem cruise in February.

I was informed that effective December 30th, there will be a charge for both NorthStar ($20) and iFly ($26). The representative was unable to tell me if this charge would apply to those already booked as complimentary.

I guess we all anticipated this change based on recent Quantum changes but... Ugh! Very frustrating as I was looking forward to trying both and feel that I paid enough for the cruise that they should be included (at least once!).

Wow, that totally sucks, and the charges should not be implemented for people already booked.

So is this crowd control, or profit making, or both?

As I posted elsewhere, from the start (Quantum), it seems RCI did not have a good plan for access to North Star on Quantum or Anthem. Initially, iirc, it was by first come first served tickets, then by the free for all of lining up and waiting (sometimes for hours), then most recently by making advance reservations, and now there's a charge.

What puzzles me is that the limited capacity of the capsule on North Star (14 guests plus the RCI crew member) and the time for each flight were known at the outset. RCI could easily have calculated how many guests per hour could be accommodated (about 56, maybe 70), and how may per day --- a small fraction of the capacity of these ships. (And sometimes weather prevents North Star from operating.)

So it was totally knowable in advance that it would be hard to accommodate everyone, yet RCI seems to have put North Star on these ships without a good plan. (And query whether it even makes sense to have something with such a limited capacity on a mega-ship.)

Also, at least on our cruise (the TA), RCI did not take full advantage of the daylight to maximize the operating hours. It was daylight well before 7 AM, yet North Star did not start running for the day until 9 am, and at that time, the crew was usually doing a test flight. So it was maybe 9:15 or 9:20 am before guests could ride. And even though North Star was closed for several days because of weather on our crossing, the ship still did not start operating North Star any earlier once weather permitted operations to resume.

I loved North Star, it was HUGE fun, but the execution doesn't seem to have been very well thought out. And these new charges are really unfortunate, especially for something that RCI has marketed as a big unique innovation on these ships. Indeed, North Star in flight is part of the symbol of these ships.

We've already booked iFly and North Start for Jan. 25 sailing. I can't believe that they would charge after advertising this for free. Frankly, I think it would be grounds to cancel the cruise altogether.

Any lawyers on CC?

Just called RCI (Crown and Anchor) regarding some issues booking iFly for my upcoming Anthem cruise in February.

I was informed that effective December 30th, there will be a charge for both NorthStar ($20) and iFly ($26). The representative was unable to tell me if this charge would apply to those already booked as complimentary.

I guess we all anticipated this change based on recent Quantum changes but... Ugh! Very frustrating as I was looking forward to trying both and feel that I paid enough for the cruise that they should be included (at least once!).

What a joke. Let's see, first offer these WOW bands, then decide to charge, now adding charges to their main attractions offered on the ship They advertise this ship with all these activities then charge for it? I am only cruising on this ship for the itinerary but after my last cruise with them and terrible experience I had I was very reluctant. Worse customer service ever. Not worth the money

We've already booked iFly and North Start for Jan. 25 sailing. I can't believe that they would charge after advertising this for free. Frankly, I think it would be grounds to cancel the cruise altogether.

Any lawyers on CC?

I did ask on the phone if they would charge those whom already booked them for free (I already booked North Star for free) and the 2 separate reps that I talked to were unsure. I wanted to book iFly to at least have a chance of it being free if booked by Dec 30th but they couldn't book it for me as it says it "must be booked onboard" now.

I guess time will tell if they're going to back charge everyone who has already booked these attractions.

We are Diamond, and I also just called C&R a moment ago as soon as I read this posting. The rep said that their internal email instruction indicates fees apply to ONLY Quantum of the Seas.

I mentioned that people have called C&R and was told otherwise. He put me on hold and talked with his supervisor. He came back after a long wait, saying that there is no charge for Anthem.

He indicates some rep may have confused with the wordings regarding "Quantum Class ships". Right now, this charge policy only applies to Quantum of the Seas specifically, and not the entire Quantum class.

Hope this helps. Whew !!

We are also cruising of ATS in April.

We are Diamond, and I also just called C&R a moment ago as soon as I read this posting. The rep said that their internal email instruction indicates fees apply to ONLY Quantum of the Seas.

I mentioned that people have called C&R and was told otherwise. He put me on hold and talked with his supervisor. He came back after a long wait, saying that there is no charge for Anthem.

He indicates some rep may have confused with the wordings regarding "Quantum Class ships". Right now, this charge policy only applies to Quantum of the Seas specifically, and not the entire Quantum class.

Hope this helps. Whew !!

We are also cruising of ATS in April.

Thanks for calling and checking. I need to take deep breath and calm down. This is on website. I think phone rep confused . This is for Quantum in Asia " The attractions were previously offered free of charge. According to the Royal Caribbean website, the fees go into effect December 30, 2015. Both attractions remain free for Anthem of the Seas cruises; Anthem is based in the United States, while Quantum sails in Asia and Australia." Anthem is not charging these fees.

Edited by SportsFanatic

I hope you're all right! Both reps that I talked to, in Crown and Anchor and on the main line told me there will be a fee going into effect and that's why I'm unable to book iFly online. And they both put me on hold to double-check as well!

If anyone gets any more information, please share! My sailing is Feb 6th.

I hope you're all right! Both reps that I talked to, in Crown and Anchor and on the main line told me there will be a fee going into effect and that's why I'm unable to book iFly online. And they both put me on hold to double-check as well!

That may well be the same.

I was in the same boat as you a few weeks back and queries why I could not make bookings for ifly. The reps just said it had limited capacity and could join the queue onboard.

And then of course, Dec 24, suddenly I could make bookings - but with a hefty surcharge attached.

1.5 weeks isn't reasonable to change the rules, so I'm just waiting to see what the situation is like onboard... but with RCL it never pays to be optimistic.

Booked I-Fly yesterday for 1/15/2015 sailing on the Anthem, NO CHARGE, they didn't ask for a credit card and today received the confirmation for the date and time, again w/ $0.00 noted as charge.

This Means nothing as it is clearly indicated charges would begin on 12/30

Edited by conandrob240

This Means nothing as it is clearly indicated charges would begin on 12/30

Except that someone reported that they were being charged for online reservations already on Quantum -- "And then of course, Dec 24, suddenly I could make bookings - but with a hefty surcharge attached."

Except that someone reported that they were being charged for online reservations already on Quantum -- "And then of course, Dec 24, suddenly I could make bookings - but with a hefty surcharge attached."

I booked North Star a few weeks ago for our March 7th Anthem Cruise. No fee charged. Are they now going to tell me I have to pay when it shows up reserved in my cruise planner and I have an e-mail with a confirmed reservation?

I have email conformation (from the same unreliable reps that gave you this info) that Anthem will not have the charges for North Star and iFly, at least at this time.

The reps are just confused. At this point, it is for the Quantum of the Seas only. It even says so on the Quantum page on the website. No mention on the Anthem or Ovation pages.

Great to hear that they may use be confused (and I hope that's the case).

Still not able to book online! I called RCI about something else and asked about the difficulty booking and he said "they will be taking care of that on the ship". I asked if it was ever open for online booking and is perhaps sold out and he said no, everyone has to book onboard.

Very strange how sailings in both January and March were able to book online but not for my February sailing! I really hope it's not because they're planning on implementing a charge.