Recent cruisers: Chic night...what are they wearing?

Redtravel

Personally, I think it's sad--but it's a sign of the times. Catering to huge crowds, most cruise lines will opt for "easy" over making people adhere to rules. They are just following the way people have been dressing down for the past several years and adopting it...so very sad. I will still dress as if I were on a special trip--which is what I consider each and every cruise I have the privilege to travel on! I do think the longer cruises will still see more people adhering to a dress code...such as it is anymore.

We were at Shula's a few nights ago and saw many in jeans. That's the style, especially for the younger generation. Got to be little flexible, things change if you don't like it. Not a matter of how you were brought up, we were all brought up with good values

We saw everything on Silhouette from full formal to jeans. We opted not to do full formal since it is now Chic. I wore a nice dress instead of a full length formal and hubby wore what he wears every night, silk slacks and silk button up Tommy Bahama shirt instead of his tux. We did see some full formal but not nearly as much as before.

Saw everything on holiday cruise. We got dressed up hubby wore his white dinner jacket and I wore sequin top and dress organza pants. Even being New Years Eve people were dressed as the wanted- some shirts, some ties, little tuxes, some even casual shirts and khaki pants. The other 2 chic nights hubby had on a sports jacket and had on dress pants and nice tops.

To me this will be great when travelling abroad as then I will not take dressy clothes not jacket for hubby. 50 lbs does not give you much wiggle room.

More and more people are going casual to everything these days

We were on the Eclipse for a 9 day Christmas cruise. We ate primarily in the MDR. There were a few tuxes, a few more gowns and long dresses, but mostly men in suits/sports coats with or without ties and cocktail dresses or sparkly tops/silk pants/skirts combos for ladies. There were also quite a few sun dresses, mostly worn by teens/twenties age girls. We did notice 2 men in rather scruffy jeans and t's seated in MDR on chic evening.

On casual evenings sparkly tops, dresses and jackets were still worn by many, perhaps due to festive nature of cruise or lingering habits of many cruisers. I know we like to dress up a wee bit! Still, many khaki, Tommy Bahama, Capri, and similar more casual clothing was in evidence.

Pack what you feel fabulous in! (Just not the scruffy jeans!)

We are just off of a New Years cruise. There were very very few tuxes or ball gowns. People were really well dressed. Lots of short dresses or pants with pretty tops. Most men were in slacks and nice shirts for chic nights, with some jackets and some ties. New Year's Eve was dressier, but still only a few tuxes.

On smart casual nights, there were many people in jeans, and everyone still looked very nice.

It seemed like smart casual and chic nights were pretty much the same.

We always used to go full tilt on formal nights with me in a gown and DH in a tux. On smart casual evenings I am always in a tailored, usually sleeveless dress, and DH in a patterned dress long sleeve shirt and tailored slacks. For our last sailing for Evening Chic nights I just kept with the same tailored dress one evening, though it was black with gold embellishments, and the second night went with a red criss-cross strap dress. DH stuck with the same shirts and slacks and wore a blazer, though he was in the minority.

I wear a suit and tie every day to work. A week off on a Carribean cruise means i dont want a suit or tie On me at any pont, including at a relaxing dinner. Respectfully, i will have one pair of slacks and polo shirts to wear to dinner. Otherwise, i want to wear as little as possible all week! Why do people judge people by what they wear? If you like wearing a tux, go for it! If you prefer a polo shirt, fine. It's a vacation for goodness sake, not a funeral or a job interview.

Wow! Some people are still looking down their noses at how others dress on their vacations. It shouldn't matter to you how others dress! The snobby comments make us think Azamara or another more casual cruise line would be a better choice even after Celebrity's recent change. Actually, we follow the dress code on board where we do eat, and the snobs should shift to Cunard!

We don't consider Celebrity's MDRs to be that formal and would not choose to eat at a large, crowded restaurant on land sitting mere inches from the next table. I know some cruisers enjoy meeting new people and sitting at large tables with strangers, but who does that on land? Maybe those people also eat at diner counters with strangers, but it just isn't elegant!

Edited by X-elite

Thanks to all the posters who answered the OP's question and stayed on topic. It's giving me the information I need to pack for our March cruise.

I agree and hope that some January cruisers will comment with what they observe for the same reason.

Edited by chamima

We were at Shula's a few nights ago and saw many in jeans. That's the style, especially for the younger generation. Got to be little flexible, things change if you don't like it. Not a matter of how you were brought up, we were all brought up with good values

Is there a Shula's in Allentown now?

Is there a Shula's in Allentown now?

Yes. It closed in Saucon Valley and relocated down by the old Leh's department store area.

I was born and raised in Allentown, but I wouldn't call anything in the downtown area - after 1969, anyway - terribly upscale.

Edited by POA1

Yes. It closed in Saucon Valley and relocated down by the old Leh's department store area.

I was born and raised in Allentown, but I wouldn't call anything in the downtown area - after 1969, anyway - terribly upscale.

I better not let my son know; he spent a lot of my $$ in North Palm when he was going to school:eek: