Chair hog strategies for 2016

Jezo

So here we are in a new year and with that brings another year filled with people putting their towels down on chairs at dawn only to return after dinner to finally sit in them.

So what new methods has everyone developed to combat them and how do you plan on getting a seat during your cruise this year?

My personal choice is to give the person 20 to 30 minutes, I understand sometimes you need to step away, and then put their stuff on the floor, take the seat, as in actually pick it up and take it, and sit myself somewhere in view of the pile I made to see if they ever return.

So here we are in a new year and with that brings another year filled with people putting their towels down on chairs at dawn only to return after dinner to finally sit in them.

So what new methods has everyone developed to combat them and how do you plan on getting a seat during your cruise this year?

My personal choice is to give the person 20 to 30 minutes, I understand sometimes you need to step away, and then put their stuff on the floor, take the seat, as in actually pick it up and take it, and sit myself somewhere in view of the pile I made to see if they ever return.

Yep - take the seat and move it. That way they'll never know who took it. Personally I've not had trouble getting a chair on my last few cruises. Carnival seems to be the worst for that and the other lines tend to be not quite as bad but if I was forced into it then I'd do exactly what you said with one exception. I don;t wait 20 minutes. Its easy to spot a chair hog - a book, single sandal, a hat - any of those chairs are free game.

Just book in the haven and You don't have this problem anymore I GAVE UP ON THE CHAIRHOG

Edited by Orleanscruiser

I'm more of a consolidator, myself. If there really was only one hogged chair in a particular area, I would probably just move on and find another spot. But pool chairs usually get hogged in twos or threes or even fours, so I will put all of the spread out stuff on one chair.

I like the twist of moving the chair you plan to use, but most of the pools I go to have actual tables that get hogged along with the chairs, so no real way to pretend you aren't the person who moved the stuff around.

I stay away from the pools, too many kids running around making a racket. No offense meant parents, just a personal choice. I head to an upper sun deck. I miss the bar, but if I can't snag a vibe pass it's the the next best choice. I've dumped people's stuff on the floor, but I've had a few shouting matches because of it and it's just not worth the drama. Let the hogs stick together and snort, they smell anyway...[emoji6]

I haven't had to resort to this on a cruise yet, but I would definitely do the passive-aggressive thing. You know, where I would take the chair for myself, and if they eventually come back hours later, I would tell them that there was nothing on the chair when I got there and that someone else must have moved it. :rolleyes:

To me the mention of towels implies the pool area. I go to the pool area to either swim or to have a spa. If I want to lounge I find somewhere quieter with fewer children (when there are lots on board) and with fewer ....... ( I will be politically correct!!)

Mike

I don;t wait 20 minutes. Its easy to spot a chair hog - a book, single sandal, a hat - any of those chairs are free game.

So if I have to run back to my room to get some more sunscreen for 5 minutes, and leave my hat or towel on the chair, that means you think you are entitled to that chair? :confused::confused:

I have a flawless plan to get a prime location chair that has never failed me yet. That plan is to get my butt out of bed at a decent hour and go get a chair. Ta-da! I know there are some people who like to sleep in until 10 or whatever, then whine that they didn't find a chair, but they should consider trying my plan instead of blaming others.

I have a flawless plan to get a prime location chair that has never failed me yet. That plan is to get my butt out of bed at a decent hour and go get a chair. Ta-da! I know there are some people who like to sleep in until 10 or whatever, then whine that they didn't find a chair, but they should consider trying my plan instead of blaming others.

Agreed!! I'll sleep on a chair and have a great seat!

We don't lay out in the sun, but if we did....we would do it at one of the beaches on a port day.

My thoughts for chair hogs: I would be more inclined to find one I observed vacant for 20 minutes and take it. Once my claim was staked, I would tell a staff member that I took it. Then, if the offender returned I would direct them to that staff member. Plan B would be to place their items on the ground and move the chair to another area.

We did what LrgPizza does...we couldn't sleep past 6am anyways, off to the buffet early, inhale an omelet and hashbrowns and stake our claim for the day.

We even did a "share" method with one couple we kept meeting up with. They were sleep-in type of folks, so they came and used the loungers while we went to lunch and then when we got back, they went to lunch, etc. They usually found their own chairs by mid afternoon.

Worked perfectly!

It's a shame we have to resort to these tactics. Unbelievable that people still "tie" chairs together with towels at 6am then have the nerve to return at 10am. Attendants need to be assigned to areas and tag the chairs hourly. I have sat at a chair that is left vacant but get up if people show up within 30 minutes or so. After that, I play the clueless routine if they return...Oh by the way, I have seen it done in the Haven too...

We don't lay out in the sun, but if we did....we would do it at one of the beaches on a port day.

My thoughts for chair hogs: I would be more inclined to find one I observed vacant for 20 minutes and take it. Once my claim was staked, I would tell a staff member that I took it. Then, if the offender returned I would direct them to that staff member. Plan B would be to place their items on the ground and move the chair to another area.

Why move the chair? If you are going to take the chair don't be a wimp and run away with it. If it is right or OK for you to take it then there is no reason t run away with it.

While I agree that people shouldn't leave the chairs all day when others could be using them, I think the 30 minutes isn't long enough. Surely people are able to go for lunch and be able to take their time and not have to worry about someone touching their stuff.

Personally I wouldn't think of start moving someone's personal items and I wouldn't be happy someone touching mine.

Personally I just avoid the "problem" around the swimming pool and head up to one of the higher sundecks, the helicopter deck on most NCL ships is one of my favorite spots as there are usually a few loungers placed there and NO people around. :p

Another tip is to just go on a short shore excursion on one of the port days, and return back to the ship before the crowds arrive - then you will have many sunbeds to choose from near the pool....

While I agree that people shouldn't leave the chairs all day when others could be using them, I think the 30 minutes isn't long enough. Surely people are able to go for lunch and be able to take their time and not have to worry about someone touching their stuff.

Personally I wouldn't think of start moving someone's personal items and I wouldn't be happy someone touching mine.

I think that leaving your items to "claim" your spot while you eat, you accept the risk that someone might touch your stuff

Personally the only time I might leave a towel on the chair is if I have to go to the bathroom or go get a drink, and even then my husband is in the seat next to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that leaving your items to "claim" your spot while you eat, you accept the risk that someone might touch your stuff

Personally the only time I might leave a towel on the chair is if I have to go to the bathroom or go get a drink, and even then my husband is in the seat next to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to think that people wouldn't touch my stuff. I've never actually experienced anyone doing this to me as I've never had an issue with a shortness of sunbeds. As I tend to travel alone I don't think it's practical to pack up an take all my stuff each time I need to go to the toilet or to grab a drink.

Ditto, DH & I both go. Then one will go get out breakfast from the lid cafe and bring it back and we have a love brunch poolside. Love it!

NCL does have a chair hogging time limit (even though they rarely enforce it), and it's definitely longer than 20 minutes. Our family usually tries to find around 3 chairs together (for 7 of us). It's our home base, and most of the time, there are 3 of us there at any given time. It would really stink to lose our chairs just to go on a water slide together, or hit the pool for a bit together.

If you want a prime spot, instead of taking it upon yourself to break NCL's rules (just as bad as the joggers), get there early.

NCL does have a chair hogging time limit (even though they rarely enforce it), and it's definitely longer than 20 minutes.

I am pretty certain the sign on one of the walls near the pool states 30 minutes. I have seen that sign myself on several of the NCL ships.

PS: I have never seen any NCL crew enforce the rule though...