River cruising with a rollator

montu6

My husband and I had planned our River Cruise for over a year. When my knee gave out, we weren't sure if we should cancel or not. There didn't seem to be much information about cruising with a rollator on these boards. We did go and for the most part were happy with what we could do. This report is written to maybe help others in my position so they would know what to expect and make an informed decision.

Cruise line - Avalon

Itinerary - Budapest to Prague

Equipment - Drive Foldable rollator This rollator collapses side to side instead of front to back, allowing you to partially collapse and still use. Designed in Italy. Handled cobblestones very easily . Weighs just over 17 pounds. Cost was about $150. Small seat to sit on, but not a wheelchair!

Airports - I used the wheel chair options and gate checked my rollator My husband pushed the rollator and put carryon on top.

Budapest and Prague hotels and city - Handled streets with no problem. Great for market in Budapest. Restaurants would either leave rollator by table or take to corner out of way.

Ship - Plenty of room to store rollator collapsed under TV. No problems in halls, but was tight. I sometimes partially collapsed it so I could easily get around carts. Avalon had a small elevator . No access to Sun Deck. You must be able to climb a few steps with help. Rafting required you to climb steps with help. The staff put rollator on shore so you do not need to lift it. During drill we stayed on main deck and practiced putting on life jackets there.

Shore excursions - There was a group for gentle walkers. Always ask about amount of walking required and steps. I did choose to stay on board while DH went on some excursions ie Museum in Vienna Many steps, lots of walking. They had a small trolley to take you in Bratislava Concert in Vienna had elevators. Some places we broke away from group and met them at bus.

No problems in Prague. We did take a pedicab in Budapest and horse drawn carriage in Prague.

All in all, wonderful cruise. I am so glad we went. The glass was more than half full! I hope this answers some questions you may have.

Carol

It sounds like you made the best of your situation and enjoyed yourself. I know this topic comes up from time to time and some of the replies may sound discouraging to those with limitations. Your account gives some very helpful information including the type if walker you used and how you were to navigate various situations with it as well as the often mentioned cobblestones, steps and rafting. I have a relative with mobility issues who very much wants to travel so thank you for taking the time to post:)

Equipment - Drive Foldable rollator -- This rollator collapses side to side instead of front to back, allowing you to partially collapse and still use. Designed in Italy. Handled cobblestones very easily . Weighs just over 17 pounds. Cost was about $150. Small seat to sit on, but not a wheelchair!

Drive makes a bunch of different models. Could you be more specific? I have a friend who is planning a world cruise but her DH is presently using 2 canes -- I thought this would be a much better option.

I bought it on QVC V33165 $149. It meets my needs and I am very happy with it. I bought it in purple to spice up my mood! As with all things it probably is not right for everyone, but was a Godsend for me! I'm sure you can find it other places as well.

Carol