Totally confused about internet in europe

Hello Everyone...I do not want to take up all of your time for something that is probably so simple, however, I'm so intimidated and confused, I'm wondering if there is somewhere on the site that might have explained things already that I can read.

We are cruising from Fort Lauderdale to Rome, Italy at the end of April. We have a Nikon 840 Camera, and, would like to email and Facebook photos.

I think some people send photos almost right after taking them from a tour, while others might take them, then, when they get back on the ship send them???

Do we need a Verizon data plan?

Do we just use the ships internet, and, that's all we need?

What is a sim card, and what does it do as one person told us to get one?

I guess I need some guidance and direction outline, unless it's so easy and I'm stressing for nothing.

Thank-you very much for your time and assistance.

Dave

When you are on the ship, you'll need to use the ship's internet plan. That is separate from your Verizon plan (i.e. it doesn't use any of your mobile data).

When you are off the ship, you can use your mobile phone (note that they typically call it a mobile phone in Europe rather than a cell phone) to upload pictures if they are on your phone. If you put pictures from your Nikon camera on a laptop, you can either use your phone as a mobile hotspot (more info on this from Verizon here) to upload from the laptop, or find a Wi-Fi connection for your laptop somewhere on land (coffee shop, internet café, hotel, etc.)

For mobile data in Europe, you can either turn on an international data plan from Verizon, or you can purchase a SIM card from one of the mobile service providers in Europe (more info here). You physically replace the current SIM card in your phone with the new SIM card and it essentially turns your existing phone hardware into a mobile phone for the new European provider. You will receive a new European phone number and will use the data plan that comes with the SIM card. The card will probably also include a certain number of voice minutes and text messages. It's kind of like renting a phone while there, but using the hardware that you already are comfortable with. When you return home, put your original SIM card back in and your phone is back to normal (put your existing SIM card someplace safe!).

In general, purchasing a SIM card in Europe is less expensive, especially if you will be using a lot of data or minutes. Although it's a little more expensive, if you are not planning to use a lot of mobile data, I'd just turn on international data with Verizon. Check your Verizon store for more details.

I'm sure that someone from Europe, or who travels regularly to Europe, can add more info or correct any mistakes that I've made.

Edited by bobmacliberty

ship internet can be expensive. europe uses different phone system so you have to make sure your phone works in Europe.

much easier to use an internet cafe. all over europe and you can normally get an hour of time fairly cheap. we have done this on all our cruises in Europe to touch base back home although normally do not upload photos until we get home but then I take thousands.

one interesting problem is keyboards can be different...took us a long time to find the @ in Turkey

We are not planning on using our IPhone or IPad for tons of text messages or phone calls, pretty much just to email photos, and put some on Facebook.

It would seem to me that the Unlimited internet Package for $20 a day for one device or $30 for two devices might be the less hassle way for us to do this while on the Jewel Of The Seas?????

By the way, we board right after it comes out of dry dock with the newer and expanded internet capabilities.

Dave

It would seem to me that the Unlimited internet Package for $20 a day for one device or $30 for two devices might be the less hassle way for us to do this while on the Jewel Of The Seas?????

By the way, we board right after it comes out of dry dock with the newer and expanded internet capabilities.

I think you may have the option to buy only the days to the end of sailing -so don't buy the first day when you have 8 sea days ahead of you - sign up the second week when you have port days and assuming more interesting things to post.

We are not planning on using our IPhone or IPad for tons of text messages or phone calls, pretty much just to email photos, and put some on Facebook.

Dave

On the Anthem last September/October it was $15 a day unlimited for one device. It was also worth waiting until you were on board to buy as that way you got any C&A discounts which didn't get taken into account if you tried to book it online prior to cruising. It was a doddle to connect. Although they claim it's the fastes internet at sea, it's nowhere near as fast as my home speeds.

On the Anthem last September/October it was $15 a day unlimited for one device.

Anthem and Oasis class do have VOOM internet which is much faster and there you pay only 15$/day. The other ships are not yet equipped with the new technology. Internet is slower and the fee is 20$/day.

steamboats

Anthem and Oasis class do have VOOM internet which is much faster and there you pay only 15$/day. The other ships are not yet equipped with the new technology. Internet is slower and the fee is 20$/day.

steamboats

The OP said that he was boarding straight after dry dock and the ship will have expanded internet capabilities. I assumed that meant VOOM.

The OP said that he was boarding straight after dry dock and the ship will have expanded internet capabilities. I assumed that meant VOOM.

Haven´t seen the Vision on the list of the older ships getting VOOM in 2016. So far I´ve only heard about the Majesty, Freedom and Enchantment - besides all Oasis Class and all Quantum Class ships including the two newbuilts.

They might enhance the onboard technology but that mustn´t mean it´s VOOM. The pricing of 20$ is the one for the non VOOM ships. It´s nothing on the RCI website saying the Vision will have VOOM.

steamboats

The wifi on board does tend to be slow so you may be able to send photos, but not excessive amounts without growing frustrated and giving up. It's typically much better for emails and wifi texting.

I agree with looking for free wifi spots when in port as that tends to work much better.