Empress of the Seas

Yes, it has a rock wall from back in 2004 refurb, and according to Pullmantur website, Empress currently has 2 pools, and also a solarium. But the deck plans show one pool. Go figure!

Yeah, well for years the RCI web site said the Voyager class ships had an enclosed solarium. Go Figure.

We loved our Nordic Empress cruise. We were in our early 30s and loved the small ship. That's why we jumped at the super deals that were available the first 2 or 3 days the cruises were released for booking. For what we paid, it will be hard for Empress to disappoint us.

...according to Pullmantur website, Empress currently has 2 pools, and also a solarium. But the deck plans show one pool. Go figure!

I know it's deceiving, but the Empress does have 2 pools, both on the same pool deck, one on each side of the stage in the middle. Probably not what everyone was hoping for, but it's there! 🤗

ImageUploadedByForums1452173488.050802.jpg.9f7454545cd8997b865c1276980443fa.jpg

Yes. It's terrible. We cruised on Empress right before she was transferred and it was miserable back then. No way I would ever consider sailing on this ship again after cruising with so many of the newer luxuries. The pool is so tiny people are like sardines in a can!

The ship is a complete POS. No idea why people are gushing over it, total sardine can. Talk about a crap infrastructure, there will be a generator strapped on the top deck..

Yes. It's terrible. We cruised on Empress right before she was transferred and it was miserable back then. No way I would ever consider sailing on this ship again after cruising with so many of the newer luxuries. The pool is so tiny people are like sardines in a can!

The ship is a complete POS. No idea why people are gushing over it, total sardine can...

We've cruised on the newest and largest ships, including the Allure, yet Empress ranks among our best cruises ever, and this is why.

We don't always cruise for the "newer luxuries". Yes, it's nice to have the extra options that are offered these days, (and we took advantage of many of these on the Allure and thoroughly enjoyed them), but the things that we normally look forward to are the more traditional ones. Beautiful and tasteful surroundings, alternative dining options, venues with panoramic views of the passing scenery, and open decks around the ship. The Empress may be small, but she delivers all of these very well, even better than many newer ships that tend to be closed up and a bit claustrophobic. Her interior decor is indeed beautiful and tasteful. Her open atrium with a glass dome is one of the most beautiful of any ship we've sailed on. She had Portofino's when we sailed on her before, which will now be replaced with Chop's, and she will once again have the Schooner Bar as well as the Viking Crown Lounge with wonderful aft views. We really don't care for much more, specially on a short 4-5 day cruise.

Is the pool small? Yes. Fortunately we don't spend much time laying by the pool, so for us this is a non-issue. We will normally hit the pool very early in the morning right after breakfast, or late in the afternoon before dinner (when the pool deck is usually deserted and blissfully uncrowded no matter what ship we are on). Not once did it feel like a sardine can. But I can see how it can be an issue for those who must be there during prime sun worshipping hours in a prime location with a pool view. Glad it's not me though.

Just like with anything else in life, one size does not fit all. Some people will not set foot on a ship the size of the Oasis twins, while others will not set foot on the Empress. But for me, having the opportunity to sail on her again is beyond exciting. It's an opportunity to revisit the ship where my wife and I spent our honeymoon. [emoji5]️

Edited by Tapi

We've cruised on the newest and largest ships, including the Allure, yet Empress ranks among our best cruises ever, and this is why.

We don't always cruise for the "newer luxuries". Yes, it's nice to have the extra options that are offered these days, (and we took advantage of many of these on the Allure and thoroughly enjoyed them), but the things that we normally look forward to are the more traditional ones. Beautiful and tasteful surroundings, alternative dining options, venues with panoramic views of the passing scenery, and open decks around the ship. The Empress may be small, but she delivers all of these very well, even better than many newer ships that tend to be closed up and a bit claustrophobic. Her interior decor is indeed beautiful and tasteful. Her open atrium with a glass dome is one of the most beautiful of any ship we've sailed on. She had Portofino's when we sailed on her before, which will now be replaced with Chop's, and she will once again have the Schooner Bar as well as the Viking Crown Lounge with wonderful aft views. We really don't care for much more, specially on a short 4-5 day cruise.

Is the pool small? Yes. Fortunately we don't spend much time laying by the pool, so for us this is a non-issue. We will normally hit the pool very early in the morning right after breakfast, or late in the afternoon before dinner (when the pool deck is usually deserted and blissfully uncrowded no matter what ship we are on). Not once did it feel like a sardine can. But I can see how it can be an issue for those who must be there during prime sun worshipping hours in a prime location with a pool view. Glad it's not me though.

Just like with anything else in life, one size does not fit all. Some people will not set foot on a ship the size of the Oasis twins, while others will not set foot on the Empress. But for me, having the opportunity to sail on her again is beyond exciting. It's an opportunity to revisit the ship where my wife and I spent our honeymoon. [emoji5]️

Good for you. We have been on a few small ships on other lines in our cruising life so not unfamiliar with what you describe but empress is a bag of bolts. Have fun reliving your fond memories

Edited by CaribSailor

Thank you for this wonderful review!

Good for you. We have been on a few small ships on other lines in our cruising life so not unfamiliar with what you describe but empress is a bag of bolts. Have fun reliving your fond memories

What's so bad about it? :confused:

Thank you for sharing this!! We are not pool/sun people either so the pool won't be an issue for us. We have never cruised on a small ship and booked the Empress because it was such a good deal. As long as I'm cruising and not sitting at home I'm good! :)

Wow, this ship is WAAAAAY ghetto, eh?

I'm glad I held off until seeing what she looks like after the dry dock.

After watching the same video, I need to ask. What makes it "way ghetto" in your opinion? Even with the Pullmantur signage, it unmistakably looks like a Royal Caribbean ship. Maybe not one of the newest ones, but definitely similar to a Vision or Sovereign class.

And about holding off, you could've booked right away and canceled later with no penalty if the drydock doesn't live up to your expectations. Looking at current pricing, it seems like those that held off and took a "wait and see" attitude will be paying considerably more than those of us that acted quickly. Our sailing is currently pricing 50% higher than when I reserved, and the C&A discount is gone. Not only that, but our price is less than half what a similar Carnival sailing (on the same exact day out of the same port and length) is currently pricing at! [emoji33]

Edited by Tapi

The ship is a complete POS. No idea why people are gushing over it, total sardine can. Talk about a crap infrastructure, there will be a generator strapped on the top deck..

Caribsailor, can you give us info and facts??? Please tell me why you make the above statements. When was the last time you cruised on her?? Was there mechanical problems?? Would just like more information to make a judgement call on facts and not on opinions

Thanks for the link.

Wow, this ship is WAAAAAY ghetto, eh?

I'm glad I held off until seeing what she looks like after the dry dock.

I don't think it looks ghetto. It's nicer than many Carnival ships, that's for sure.

Not sure what people are expecting for the dry dock; the ship will be repainted, some areas renamed, general cleaning, etc., but there won't be major changes in such a short time frame.

Caribsailor, can you give us info and facts??? Please tell me why you make the above statements. When was the last time you cruised on her?? Was there mechanical problems?? Would just like more information to make a judgement call on facts and not on opinions

What info and facts are you looking for?? Something like 2+2=4 and 2x2=4? Was that what you are looking for? As for the generator comment that was for all of the people who took pictures of the carnival ships when they had them on the top deck. You think empress's infrastructure has had a major overhaul in the last well........since it was launched? It would take months and months to bring the ship up to recent standards and with the new maritime laws requiring alternative and backup power I can see a nice shiny yellow CAT generator strapped to the top deck of empress in the very near future. [emoji108]🏻[emoji102][emoji83]

After watching the same video, I need to ask. What makes it "way ghetto" in your opinion? Even with the Pullmantur signage, it unmistakably looks like a Royal Caribbean ship. Maybe not one of the newest ones, but definitely similar to a Vision or Sovereign class.

And about holding off, you could've booked right away and canceled later with no penalty if the drydock doesn't live up to your expectations. Looking at current pricing, it seems like those that held off and took a "wait and see" attitude will be paying considerably more than those of us that acted quickly. Our sailing is currently pricing 50% higher than when I reserved, and the C&A discount is gone. Not only that, but our price is less than half what a similar Carnival sailing (on the same exact day out of the same port and length) is currently pricing at! [emoji33]

It looks really dumpy and above-and-beyond dated.

I'm glad you got a rate you're so happy with, but I'm good on this one. As LMa pointed out in the post quoted below, I don't think the short drydock is going to fix most of what I see in that video.

I don't think it looks ghetto. It's nicer than many Carnival ships, that's for sure.

Not sure what people are expecting for the dry dock; the ship will be repainted, some areas renamed, general cleaning, etc., but there won't be major changes in such a short time frame.

I don't sail on Carnival, but those have more of a Patrick Nagel painting feel to me from the photos/videos I've seen. This is just old and tired.

I agree that it probably won't have time to get much better.

I don't sail on Carnival, but those have more of a Patrick Nagel painting feel to me from the photos/videos I've seen. This is just old and tired.

I agree that it probably won't have time to get much better.

I hadn't been on Carnival in many, many years, but I recently bit for itinerary and price. It was fine. But a lot of the ship was very tacky/gaudy and the pool deck and buffet were most definitely ghetto to the max. I thought the pool deck area was pretty bad actually. I couldn't believe how trashy it looked, and I don't just mean the guests. Empress looks head and shoulders above the Carnival Victory, at least to me, in these videos. Patrick Nagel would have been a step up.

The dining room and theater look dated to me on Empress; but those are areas easily spruced up with soft goods which is something I'd expect in dry dock. I definitely would NOT expect infrastructure changes or any major changes from what it shown in the video beyond easy to replace decor.

Someone, can't remember who, said they think peoples memories of this ship won't match what they get, and I agree. But I think it will look and feel like Royal Caribbean; it just won't have a lot to do or different areas.

I sailed on Legend of the Seas and once was enough. The ship just didn't offer a lot of amenities; and that was a significantly larger ship than Empress. For the record, for the right price I'd like to sail on Empress, I'd just adjust my expectations accordingly. I think for 3-5 days it's fine.