Delta will cancel flights

WASUP

I just heard tonight, on CNN, that Delta has announced that they will cancel some flights to save fuel, by notifying the people booked on those flights two days out. The way I understood it, was that if the flight on a Wednesday is not selling, they will on that Monday cancel the flight and rebook on other Delta flights!!!! They said that it would mainly effect Tues, Wed and Sat flights. Soooo, I have a flight on Delta on a Wed and right now it is at about 30% capacity, the flight is for 11-16. So they can can me Monday the 14th and change my flight!!! I am flying international, I am going from Fort Lauderdale to NYC, connecting to a flight to Barcelona..I had a three hour lay over, I am not that concerned about the change, but if they shorter the connection time by placing us on a flight that gets to NYC and we are running to get the international flight..

anyone else hear this tonight on CNN? Did I understand it correctly?

I think you understand correctly, but you can't just look at your leg of the flight, but at the other flights it will affect.

For example, if the last flight of the night on Tuesday night into Podunk National from Big City International is only 30% booked, but the first flight in the morning from Podunk National to Big City International is 90% booked and is supposed to go on that plane that came in the night before, then they won't cancel because they need that plane in Podunk for the full flight in the morning. But if that morning flight is only 25% booked then they probably will cancel both flights. The plane will stay in Big City and will be ready for it's next uncancelled flight, which is out of Big City, and they won't have to expend the fuel costs of flying it back and forth to Podunk.

In our situation I went and checked our flight and it is also showing many empty seats... our flight back home after a cruise...how will they let me know two days prior that they changed my flight when I am on a ship?

Emmy

We fly out and take a transatlantic back to our home town, which is the disembarkation, so we have no fight "home"...we are on a one way

Heard the report again and they said on CNN that Delta wouldnot rebook you WITHOUT CONTACTING you first...that makes no sense, if they cancel the flight and you are on a cruise and dont know they have tried to call you about the canceled flight.

You can't go by the seating charts on airline websites to judge how full a flight is. Those are already assigned seats. You could have some tour group booked on the flight, whose seats are assigned at check-in, but they won't show up on the charts now. Many times people will check those charts, think their flight is half empty, and arrive to find their flight oversold.

You can't go by the seating charts on airline websites to judge how full a flight is. Those are already assigned seats. You could have some tour group booked on the flight, whose seats are assigned at check-in, but they won't show up on the charts now. Many times people will check those charts, think their flight is half empty, and arrive to find their flight oversold.

Good Point Dan so that is why I will give them a call to ask about it...I did a quick search on CNN but does anyone have a link to the story about this?

Emmy

My sister's flight from FLL to JFK in Nov was cancelled without notification to her. Luckily I caught it and she is rebooked on a Song flight that arrives in plrenty of time for our flight to Barcelona.

Now I check at least twice a week.

Keep checking those flights! We are booked for next April, and already have had 2 changes that I found only by checking the website every week! One flight was changed so that we were arriving 30 minutes after our connecting flights leave! Had to change to make the connection.The woman I spoke with said to keep checking as there may be more changes before we leave:rolleyes: Jaxson

We fly out and take a transatlantic back to our home town, which is the disembarkation, so we have no fight "home"...we are on a one way

Heard the report again and they said on CNN that Delta wouldnot rebook you WITHOUT CONTACTING you first...that makes no sense, if they cancel the flight and you are on a cruise and dont know they have tried to call you about the canceled flight.

Hi , we are in much the same type of situation. We have a flight home after a cruise in March, we will not be home to find out two days ahead of time , we will be at sea. SO I am trying to watch the web site for changes , there has be one time change already. Even if we check the flight before we leave home that is over two weeks before the Delta flight, bit difficult. We had planned to do a ship tour upon arriving at the disembarkation port and then go straight to the air port , now I don't know if we could do that, what if they cancelled the flight and put us on an earlier flight , we could miss it. What a mess. If anyone hears anything else about it , appreciate the post on this board. Thanks

Cori

When I called Delta to find out about my seats the agent seemed to know I was going on a cruise and mentioned this to me.

Call Delta and tell them you will be on a cruise and they will have to contact you on the ship.

When I called Delta to find out about my seats the agent seemed to know I was going on a cruise and mentioned this to me.

Call Delta and tell them you will be on a cruise and they will have to contact you on the ship.

Thank you for posting..I will do that and call Delta and tell them we are on a cruise ship..I booked my air on my own and not with the cruise line.

Emmy

I always book my flights on-line, and am notified via e-mail if there have been any changes. I flew Delta on 9-16 from ATL to FLL, and back on 9-24, and this was a day after the bankruptcy announcement..which I received by e-mail from Expedia the day before I left. My guess is that if you book on-line flights, then that on-line agency will notify you by e-mail about any changes....meaning that if you are on a ship, you might have to use the Ship's Internet to check your home e-mail. I wouldn't trust the airline to contact you directly, no matter where you are!

I just cancelled my custom air through Celebrity on Delta. I did lose the $75 custom air fee and incur a $50 penalty. The net result of the pricing on the replacement flights (that I booked on my own via orbitz) ended up being less. Much better connections and times as well. So glad to be done with Delta. I wish them luck.

Thank you for posting..I will do that and call Delta and tell them we are on a cruise ship..I booked my air on my own and not with the cruise line.

Emmy

Hi Emmy , when I called Song last week to ask about the time change and if I needed to reschedule or anything, I told the agent I would be on a cruise ship and they wouldn't be able to email or call me with changes, and she didn't seem to know what could be done. So if you get any information , please post it so I can call back and ask them again if they can put a notice on my reservation or something like that. I booked my own airfair , this is not thru the cruise line. Thank You. Appreciate it.

Cori

Delta and American today announced they were resuming their full schedules, and Continental was foregoing the schedule reductions they were looking at.

Oh thats good news, hope it stays that way. Thanks Dan for posting.

Cori

Delta and American today announced they were resuming their full schedules, and Continental was foregoing the schedule reductions they were looking at.

Yes Dan...thanks for that post...2 weeks today we will be on Sapphire...watch for my review and some pics... :) and oh yes a review of flying out of FLint;) isn' that where you booked out of?

Emmy

Archived