Boarding in San Juan - Chaos?

We have sailed out of San Juan 4 times and sailed on Adventure in November.

The first indication of chaos was they only had 2 terminals open for folks to check in. Then they packed us in like sardines as everyone checked in. It was total chaos when they raised the door. :eek::eek: There was a rush to get on the ship and it didn't matter if you were in a suite, Pinnacle, Diamond + or the first time you had sailed. The staff just threw up their hands and let everyone go.

We have sailed out of San Juan 4 times and sailed on Adventure in November.

The first indication of chaos was they only had 2 terminals open for folks to check in. Then they packed us in like sardines as everyone checked in. It was total chaos when they raised the door. :eek::eek: There was a rush to get on the ship and it didn't matter if you were in a suite, Pinnacle, Diamond + or the first time you had sailed. The staff just threw up their hands and let everyone go.

you mean inside the terminal? Interesting. Well, our first cruise was pretty crowded because we waited in seats but the other two as we stood outside in the heat, we walked into the terminal to find it pretty bare minus about 75-100 people in the check in line and a few people in the C and A lines.

you mean inside the terminal? Interesting. Well, our first cruise was pretty crowded because we waited in seats but the other two as we stood outside in the heat, we walked into the terminal to find it pretty bare minus about 75-100 people in the check in line and a few people in the C and A lines.

Yes, inside the terminal. They did have have suites & C&A separated out. It didn't matter though, when the door went up, the stampede began. :eek::cool:

Yes, inside the terminal. They did have have suites & C&A separated out. It didn't matter though, when the door went up, the stampede began. :eek::cool:

Yikes...at least we were organized outside in a long line in the sticky, humid heat :p

It's amazing how diverse everyone's experiences have been.

After reading all of the replies I'm wondering if it would just be best to take our time. I love to be one of the first on the ship out of ports in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale due to their great organization, but don't know if it's worth it here. We get in on a very late flight and I can usually get late checkout at the Sheraton because I'm SPG Gold. I might take advantage, sleep in, take our time and show up around noon. It is vacation after all.

I'm very curious about the Diamond bag drop. Where is this exactly? It's been awhile since I've been to the pier, but I remember a line to the left of the entrance doors, but where is this other drop?

After reading all of the replies I'm wondering if it would just be best to take our time. I love to be one of the first on the ship out of ports in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale due to their great organization, but don't know if it's worth it here. We get in on a very late flight and I can usually get late checkout at the Sheraton because I'm SPG Gold. I might take advantage, sleep in, take our time and show up around noon. It is vacation after all.

I'm very curious about the Diamond bag drop. Where is this exactly? It's been awhile since I've been to the pier, but I remember a line to the left of the entrance doors, but where is this other drop?

The D(+) bag drop was on the left side, with the entry on the right side.

Our cruise aboard Jewel out of San Juan was one of the easiest embarkation days we've ever had! We are plantinum and had a separate line, you will too sine you're in a GS! No waiting, it was awesome!

We sail away on Sunday, Jan. 10. I am also platinum. I hope our boarding will be easy also.

Yikes...at least we were organized outside in a long line in the sticky, humid heat :p

I don't really blame Royal for all the issues there. It was really a restless crowd for some reason. Everyone seemed to think they needed to be the first one on the ship. :confused: Maybe there was a full moon or something :rolleyes:

Anyway, by far our worst boarding experience. The other three times were a breeze. :)

We've never experienced any chaos at San Juan during embarkation or disembarkation.

Ditto ... and we've sailed out of SJ five times. Now, once we did have to wait in line outisde (oh, the horror!) for about 20 minutes ... but we were prepared (water & sunhats & sunscreen already applied)

The only people we have ever seen causing problems have been fellow passengers ... it's usually pretty clear when & where you are supposed to go to get on board, and if people would just have a little bit of patience there wouldn't be any stampedes ...

The worst we've ever seen was two years ago, we were checked in and sitting in the terminal waiting to board for the first of our b2b cruises. Probably around 10 am. A female passenger who was on a b2b had apparently gotten off the ship to go jogging, and had disregarded the very clear directions about getting off & on again for a b2b ... the doors were closed and she was literally pounding on them & yelling at the staff to open up for her.

We have found the airport to be much more of a problem when we are leaving SJ.

That's what I'm planning to do for our cruise next June, even though we also like to be on the ship ASAP. Check out when we decide to wake up, ask the Sheraton to hold our luggage, and then walk around Old San Juan for a bit. Find a nice place in OSJ for lunch, go back to the hotel to get our luggage, and make our way to the ship early afternoon...after any potential chaos has subsided. We'll miss Windjammer for lunch. :rolleyes:

Is there a bag drop for suites? I see mention of a "Priority" line so I assume that might include suites.

Maybe the process has changed, but there was no priority bag drop when we were there last year.