how windy is usually too windy to tender?

rjm11

Any of the weather experts out there have an idea of how windy it usually is when GSC is cancelled? Forecast is for 10-15MPH- is that too windy? I live on Lake Erie, and we call that a calm day! So I know my "yardstick" is likely off.... and of course I realize that more than just the windspeed factors into this decision- but in general, thoughts?

Any of the weather experts out there have an idea of how windy it usually is when GSC is cancelled? Forecast is for 10-15MPH- is that too windy? I live on Lake Erie, and we call that a calm day! So I know my "yardstick" is likely off.... and of course I realize that more than just the windspeed factors into this decision- but in general, thoughts?

Depends on a lot things, one is the direction of the wind and what kind of wave action it causes. As a boater their are times I'll go out in 10-15 some days I won't. You can have a light breeze which will cause rollers 4-8ft, the same wind on another day coming from a different direction will cause a 1-3ft chop.

As the previous poster states, lots of factors taken into consideration. I believe at the end of the day, the Captain will permit tendering if he possibly can, a major consideration being what the weather/sea state is likely to be when bringing passengers back on board. If their is any doubt he will be able to do that safely, irrespective of the sea state/weather on possible disembarking to the tenders from the ship in the first place, he will not permit it.

Edited by Macadian

• 6 years later...

A word to the senior citizens out there that have never tendered. It might be perfectly safe for the tenders to run but it might be very very choppy. Assess how steady you are on your feet. I once decided (in Roatan) not to take the tender because it looked too challenging for me. 

5 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

A word to the senior citizens out there that have never tendered. It might be perfectly safe for the tenders to run but it might be very very choppy. Assess how steady you are on your feet. I once decided (in Roatan) not to take the tender because it looked too challenging for me. 

The OP probably has long, long, long forgotten about this question they posed 7 years ago. 

• Haha 4

• 10 months later...