Carnival sunshine nightmare - need advice cruisers

dcs1989

Right before I came to CC I was looking at FB. I had a friend who posted about his woes with Verizon. You see, the day after Christmas, he and his wife survived a tornado, unfortunately, their home did not. Verizon, great peoples that they are, is giving them grief because they can't find the wireless router for their service. Seriously. These folks lost almost EVERYTHING.

I am pretty sure they would give anything to be on a cruise right now, or to even have a small space to call their own even if for just a few days.

I know for me, I've had a couple things go wrong this week, but I always remember it could be worse.

When I travel I just make the best of it, and then when I return, I write an honest review with the good and the bad, not just a scathing review. As a result, IF something was horrible, I am usually more then compensated for it.

I hope your trip gets better.

This happened to us 5 years ago. (triumph 2010).

Just to let others know, you do not have to change rooms. We were offered, but turned them down, it was water. Like the OP, we had family next door and had adjoining balcony's with the divider open. They had personnel with a wet vac very quickly, plus blowers.

When we were ready to sleep, we called GS and asked to place the blowers in the hall, they said OK. We returned them to the room when we left for the day, but did not leave the door open. The wet vac person came back the next day as well.

Without asking, they prorated our cruise for the last two days. Gave us about a 20% of the total charge of the Cruise back, (think about $200, applied to the total S&S, not on board purchases).

Edited by Naomi John
additions

If you have anything of value lock it in the safe. No one is going to take your clothes or your cosmetics. If you have huge items that you are worried about...pack a suitcase and have security lock it up somewhere. I think I would rather have my room dried than worry about some stuff, that realistically no one wants.

WoW, I didn't know that you were in Law Enforcement or trained in Security .I have been reading your comments for months now and you seem to be a expert in everything, so I am not surprised for your comments here ...... .I have been involved in Police work both Military and civilian and security since I was 15....and yes people will steal anything that isn't tied down...What Carnival needs to do is keep a Couple of Cabins free for this type of problem.

Also the OP needs to be compsated for her troubles!!!!

Mike

US Army Military Police (ret)

Exactly! The same thing happened to us on the Sunshine last May. Did it ruin our cruise? No. Was I going to ignore it and allow Carnival to resolve it to their liking? No. They have a basic duty to fulfill and keeping excess water out of passenger cabins is one of them.

Missing a port due to weather is one thing, but suffering thru a flooded cabin is quite another.

IMHO Carnival has failed to provide you with basic habitable, secure quarters and owes you substantial compensation.

From what you have posted, seems you have done very little to find the proper Carnival representative (hotel manager perhaps) to get better information and discuss appropriate compensation. That's on you. Not sure what advice you need from us - take ownership and represent yourself.

Nevertheless, do your best to salvage the remainder of your cruise.

I definitely would be upset about the door open. Some of you may think it's no big deal, but it's not so much them taking things, as to what they might be doing with some of your belongings..unfortunately, there are sick people on cruise ships just like there are on land.

Check that toothbrush closely.

If GS, GS manager and hotel director won't take the time to meet with you and make it right. Then google Carnival exec team e-mail addresses and send them an e-mail explaining the situation, it will get the Hotel Director's attention (I know from experience) and your issues will be addressed very quickly.

Curious how the flood happened and how much of the room got flooded.

Also curious about cameras. Do cruise lines have cameras to monitor hallways, stairs etc?

If there are cameras, is it possible the rooms being monitored and the room steward is close by?

I would have no issue because the only important things I not want to loose are cash, jewelry, camera, iPad, cell phone and my passport and drivers license, if I don't have any of these on me they are always locked in the safe.

Nobody is going to take my clothes, cosmetics, shoes, dirty clothes lol but there is another solution, bring your items to your fathers and sisters cabin if that gives you more of a peace of mind or simply tell the hotel director your door will remain closed and locked, its your cabin you have that right, you set the rules.

that was my immediate thought. That way you don't have to babysit the room and you can go get some information without worrying

They can't make you keep your doors open! I mean, what if you wanted to sleep, get dressed... have sex? Close the doors and leave the fans on. I'd find out who put the fans there and tell them not to leave the door open again. But have a couple of drinks first so you get back into vacation mode! :)

Missing a port due to weather is one thing, but suffering thru a flooded cabin is quite another.

IMHO Carnival has failed to provide you with basic habitable, secure quarters and owes you substantial compensation.

From what you have posted, seems you have done very little to find the proper Carnival representative (hotel manager perhaps) to get better information and discuss appropriate compensation. That's on you. Not sure what advice you need from us - take ownership and represent yourself.

Nevertheless, do your best to salvage the remainder of your cruise.

Seriously? She clearly asked if there is someone else she should contact outside of guest services. Letting her know to call the hotel manager would be helpful, but the rest of your comments in that same paragraph were not necessary and certainly were not helpful, JMHO

If you have been most upset about not being next to your sister and dad, you might have limited the options they had so instead they are trying to fix the problem so they can return. I would instead insist on being moved to any available stateroom.

Seriously? She clearly asked if there is someone else she should contact outside of guest services. Letting her know to call the hotel manager would be helpful, but the rest of your comments in that same paragraph were not necessary and certainly were not helpful, JMHO

Suggesting the threadstarter stand up for themself is not necessary ? According to what was posted, the threadstarter has made little attempt to force Carnival to make this situation correct.

WoW, I didn't know that you were in Law Enforcement or trained in Security .I have been reading your comments for months now and you seem to be a expert in everything, so I am not surprised for your comments here ...... .I have been involved in Police work both Military and civilian and security since I was 15....and yes people will steal anything that isn't tied down...What Carnival needs to do is keep a Couple of Cabins free for this type of problem.

Mike

Nailed it.

They can't make you keep your doors open! I mean, what if you wanted to sleep, get dressed... have sex? Close the doors and leave the fans on. I'd find out who put the fans there and tell them not to leave the door open again. But have a couple of drinks first so you get back into vacation mode! :)[/quot

OMG. Yes I know people have sex on a cruise, but just spit my coffee at the image of someone having sex with the door opened! Perhaps the issue would be resolved quickly if someone saw this.

Joking aside, OP, I sincerely hope your issue get resolved to your satisfaction and you can get back to enjoying your cruise!

You could talk to the Hotel director. Demand a solution to the safety of your cabin.

I agree, while I understand Carnival is trying to resolve the problem, they should not expect you to leave your belongings in your cabin with the door wide open. If they cannot provide you with a habitable and secure room, they are not living up to the vacation experience they offer.

I also agree with others who said to try to make the best of it, but you also have rights and letting this dwell will not make it a pleasant experience, try to resolve it to YOUR satisfaction.

This is the exact case scenario why I always pack a sign that says:

NO TRESPASSING.....VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT

Pop that on the door while the blowers are drying and No Problem

😜😆😆😆😳

Your right. Thanks everyone - just needed a quick vent.

Sounds like a couple of deep breaths and venting helped a little bit. And, you got a couple of good suggestions along the way, too. I think frustration is understandable here, as we all get a little bit thrown off when things don't go as planned, especially when things were looking so good early on. Hopefully now things are good with you.

Mike

Right on! And thank you for your service.