Southwest?

phabric

I was told to keep checking rates on Soutwest to go to LA. Now I have been told that you don't get seats assigned. How does this work? Do you go on the plane and just pick a seat? We will be staying at hotels before and after our flight so we won't have a computer to check in until we get to the airport.

Southwest's boarding is based upon the order you check-in. The earlier people get an A boarding pass, next group gets a B, and the lest group gets a C. At Southwest's gates, they have three cattle chutes ... A, B, and C. When it is time to board, the A people board and take whatever seats they want, then B, then C gets what's left. Some people will sit in the cattle chute on the ground for hours to be at the front of the A, B, or C lines, however even the first A people don't board until after the "preboards" that need extra help. If you get a C pass, it might be hard to get seats together, but otherwise, it usually isn't that bad.

Southwest is open seating on all their flights. When you get check in and get your boarding pass it has a letter A, B, C on it. This will be the boarding group that you will be in and the order that you get on the plane. When you get to the gate you will get in the line that corresponds to your letter and once you get on the plane you can take any available seat.

If you are looking for deals on Southwest I would suggest downloading Ding to your computer to get deals sent to your computer throughout the day. That can be downloaded off of Southwest.com

What if your making a connection?...Do you have to check-in again? or do you still have your "A,B or C" from your first flight you checked into?

Some years ago, one did need to check-in again for a connecting flight. Needless to say, you always got the bottom of the barrel. However, that has changed. Now, according to http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3943284&postcount=6 If you have a connecting flight, you will also get a boarding pass for the second flight at the time you check in for the first flight.

If you go "online" 24 hours before boarding you can print out a boarding pass. Since SW went to this system, I've always been in the "A" boarding group. The system is not ideal, however, Southwest customers usually are not late to the gate.:rolleyes:

I travelled recently with a group of people and we didn't have access to computer before our return flight. My friend's husband, who was home, checked us in and we printed the boarding passes at the airport. So anyone can check you in with your confirmation number and then you get the boarding pass at the machines at the airport. It worked well. Obviously the person checking you in will need your departure times so they can check you in 24 hours before your flight.

The last time I flew with SW, check in wasn't actually available 24 hours before the flight, but rather at 12:01 am on the day of the flight. This made it really hard to check in early because we had an early flight and needed our sleep.

The last time I flew with SW, check in wasn't actually available 24 hours before the flight, but rather at 12:01 am on the day of the flight. This made it really hard to check in early because we had an early flight and needed our sleep.

Boy does that sound familiar! SW does start check-in at 12:01 on the day of your flight. My dear Hubby set the alarm and made me get up at midnight so I could print the boarding passes for our 7 am flight. He never even got out of bed. Claims he couldn't figure out how to do it! :p

Cheryl

check in wasn't actually available 24 hours before the flight, but rather at 12:01 am on the day of the flight.

This policy was recently changed. Now it is possible to check-in 24 hours before a flight.

I've never done a check-in at home. How does that work? Do I print my boarding passes, then go use the kiosk at the airport to check my bags?

You print out your boarding pass at home. If you have items to check you can do that curbside or at the checkin counter. With no items to check you can go directly to security. With boarding pass in hand, it is not necessary to get to the airport as early, if you are looking to be in the "A" boarding group. If you have more than one flight, both boarding passes will print out at home.

Enjoy!

Kel

Archived