Food Poisoning

Takingabreak

A relative is on a 7-day cruise with Carnival right now, and two of the three people in the room got food poisoning from the pizza bar. Assuming there is no dispute that the food poisoning was Carnival's fault, has anyone encountered such a situation and how did Carnival respond?

They lost a day to vomiting, and they have had to limit their activities since then due to weakness, fatigue and general discomfort. Plus, one of the people is scheduled to run a marathon immediately after the cruise and may not be able to do that now. I think Carnival should give them a new 7-day cruise with airfare (domestic) in the future (again, assuming the illness clearly resulted from food poisoning caused by Carnival). Does that sound reasonable?

Reasonable? No.

Did they go to the infirmary? Did they report this to the doctor/nurse on board?

Sure it was food poisoning and not just over indulgence or sea sickness? Yes they threw up pizza but it was probably the last thing they ate.

Did they know or learn that any other cruisers who ate the same style of pizza around the same time got sick?

Food poisoning is generally difficult to prove unless it's very wide spread and even then difficult. Food poisoning doesn't happen right way either. Usually takes a while.

Unless they went to see the doctor on board and the doctor agreed it may be food poisoning, I doubt Carnival "owes" them anything. Sorry.

Umm. No. There would be no way to trace to food poisoning episode to the pizza, unless major testing was done. And I doubt the CDC is going to come in and check for e-coli or salmonella for just 2 people.

And if it was really the pizza, more people should have gotten sick than just one cabin. They probably just picked up a stomach bug, that is going around everywhere right now, and the pizza was the last place they ate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, I don't believe it came from the pizza and secondly if that were the case, a high percentage of passengers do eat the pizza so it be known that people are sick.

I bet they all went into port somewhere, drank or ate something that gave them food poisoning, its very possible, find out if they ate anything in port, this would be the best explanation and the next thing I would think is they just caught something and became ill.

I totally get that illnesses occur and may not be Carnival's fault. Please read my initial post -- I asked whether a new cruise would be appropriate IF the food poisoning was Carnival's fault.

There are fairly unique circumstances in this situation which suggest to me such proof may be possible here, but I am not certain and, therefore, am asking a hypothetical question. I am not suggesting trying to victimize Carnival. Asking for a remedy for something Carnival did not cause or where insufficient proof of that is available would be highly unfair, and my relative will not do that.

Carnival is addressing the situation -- I am just asking whether an appropriate remedy if Carnival definitely is at fault would be a replacement cruise and if anyone has been in that situation and can offer guidance.

I totally get that illnesses occur and may not be Carnival's fault. Please read my initial post -- I asked whether a new cruise would be appropriate IF the food poisoning was Carnival's fault.

There are fairly unique circumstances in this situation which suggest to me such proof may be possible here, but I am not certain and, therefore, am asking a hypothetical question. I am not suggesting trying to victimize Carnival. Asking for a remedy for something Carnival did not cause or where insufficient proof of that is available would be highly unfair, and my relative will not do that.

Carnival is addressing the situation -- I am just asking whether an appropriate remedy if Carnival definitely is at fault would be a replacement cruise and if anyone has been in that situation and can offer guidance.

Yes it would be appropriate to expect it.

They lost a day to vomiting, and they have had to limit their activities since then due to weakness, fatigue and general discomfort. Plus, one of the people is scheduled to run a marathon immediately after the cruise and may not be able to do that now. I think Carnival should give them a new 7-day cruise with airfare (domestic) in the future (again, assuming the illness clearly resulted from food poisoning caused by Carnival). Does that sound reasonable?

It really doesn't matter what you think. This is between Carnival and your two sick relatives.

Your expectations are very high. Airfare? They were not sick for the flight. So, no airfare. A new 7 day cruise? They weren't sick for the whole cruise. So, no to a new 7 day cruise.

I got food poisoning on my January 2014 cruise on the Conquest. I did go to the infirmary and that's what they diagnosed me with. I had to fill out a lot of paperwork including what I had eaten the days prior to my sickness. I think it was the shrimp, but of course I can't prove it. I never ate or drank anything off the ship so it was definitely something onboard.

They did not charge me for the visit and sent me on my way with Pedialyte, a bottle of generic Pepto Bismol and gave me a Zofran under my tongue. If I would have needed an IV (which I was very close to), then I would have been charged for that. The nurse was very nice and I was satisfied. She did call to check on me later in the day and the next day.

I missed getting off the ship in San Juan and I never asked for any type of compensation nor did I expect or receive any. Stuff happens. Suck it up and move on.